New Adoption Has Worms Of Some Kind; Fiance Purchased Dewormer. Details Inside.

SomethingWicked

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have a 1.5 yr old House Panther (black cat) we just got from a woman on a local Facebook page. She was moving and desperately looking for a place for him. I volunteered. I love cats, especially what I call Halloween Kitties- The black ones.

Unfortunately for us, Bwonsamdi has worms. I've seen lots of little sesame seeds and some crawling pieces of rice, and some that are a little longer. They're intermittent. Last night was much worse than today so far. I have been wiping his butt with either a warm wet cloth or some TP and flushing it.

He finally pooped this morning. Loads of it, but no signs of squirmy wormies in it. It's puzzling.

So I tell my Fiance who's away on his last days of work. He says the medicine will be here tomorrow.

It's this one:
Pyrantal or something. It has 4.2 out of 5 stars and is said to work within a few hours with some cats.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this medication. I also would love to know if I'm doing the right thing with the wiping his butt and tossing the worms into the toilet. I'd love to have his affection and have him come cuddle and sleep with me but the worms are unsettling and I don't want them on my couch or in my bed.

I want my poor kitty better. Think this will work? Thanks for your time!

Cat tax:

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The crawling pieces are probably tape worms. Those need different worm medicine than most intestinal worms. Tape worms are caused by fleas. I suggest you take your Halloween kitty to the vet and find out specifically what worms are present.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That product should do the trick, but I can't find the information of which medications are in it. By the name I'm sure it has pyrantel, but what to kill the tapeworms? Hopefully it's praziquantel.

Anyway, no, you won't see tapeworms in the cat's poop. They stay inside the animal and only release segments to reproduce. Even after you give him the de-wormer you might not see the tapeworms come out---if they're higher up in the digestive tract they'll be digested rather than come out whole. But if it works you'll stop seeing segments around his butt.

You should give him another dose in 3-4 weeks. That will kill the new worms that hatch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SomethingWicked

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That product should do the trick, but I can't find the information of which medications are in it. By the name I'm sure it has pyrantel, but what to kill the tapeworms? Hopefully it's praziquantel.

Anyway, no, you won't see tapeworms in the cat's poop. They stay inside the animal and only release segments to reproduce. Even after you give him the de-wormer you might not see the tapeworms come out---if they're higher up in the digestive tract they'll be digested rather than come out whole. But if it works you'll stop seeing segments around his butt.

You should give him another dose in 3-4 weeks. That will kill the new worms that hatch.

I've never dealt with this before. Those segments are eggs or something? Does that mean if I missed a few sweeping then they're gonna hatch and be disgusting on my floor?!

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry. I didn’t mean the segments were the worm just that they were caused by tape worms.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The eggs can't hatch outside. Flea larvae eat the tapeworm eggs that are inside the tapeworm segment. They hatch into baby tapeworms inside the flea. The cat eats the flea, and so on. Fleas are a necessary part of the tapeworm lifecycle. So make sure you treat for fleas, if necessary, too.

LilReindeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The repeat dose should be given at ten to 14 days after the initial dosage. Waiting three to four weeks would allow time for the newly 'hatched' adult worms to lay eggs and the process would never be stopped that way. It's got to be within two weeks (14 days max).