New adoption blues...

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got my cat Buddy from the local SPCA shelter ten days ago. All was well til yesterday. He tried four times to use the litter box, then vomited twice. I took him to the ER of a 24-hour Veterinary Hospital last night. In at 6pm, and not done til midnight. Said it was 'feline idiopathic cystitis', and gave me some pills and liquid pain medicine. Not much improvement yet, so will probably be taking him into the SPCA hospital in a day or two.

Anyway, his behavior has changed. He has always been a scaredy-cat. The slightest noise would turn on panic-mode, and he's 'hand shy'. Was told he was unable to get along with the kids and dogs. I suspect abuse. Since coming home last night he has been acting different. He is never more than 2 to 3 feet away (yet always with his back to me), and if I get out of line-of-sight he quickly comes after me. He now rubs against me; never did before. Wants petting at every opportunity, and fixated on the hairbrush....also on scentmarking everything. Refuses to use either of his beds, my bed, or even my chair which he previously commandeered every day. He is now strictly a floor cat.

I suspect trauma, violation of trust, and maybe separation anxiety. I had to force him into the soft carrier, and I never before forced him to do anything at all. He was howling and fighting to get out, til the taxi took off. He was silent and immobile the whole ride to the vet. The minute I handed him to the worker at the hospital door (here you don't get to go inside the building thanks to the COVID hysteria), he went into meltdown mode. Six hours later when I got him back, he seemed calm, but when I got him home he seemed to stagger some, so I think they tranqed him. I will need to go out soon to deal with the banks, charge up the debit cards, pay bills and haul in some groceries. That takes most of the day. I'm wondering if this is likely to exacerbate his problem? I could maybe delay it til Monday the 7th if necessary, but sooner is better than later.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a cat that has gone through multiple traumas in a few days, getting adopted, getting sick, being put in a carrier (most cats HATE this) and going to the vet. These all are stressful and can affect a cat’s behavior. Its just going to take a few days for him to relax and start feeling better and for you to start seeing his true personality come out.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my cat Buddy from the local SPCA shelter ten days ago. All was well til yesterday. He tried four times to use the litter box, then vomited twice. I took him to the ER of a 24-hour Veterinary Hospital last night. In at 6pm, and not done til midnight. Said it was 'feline idiopathic cystitis', and gave me some pills and liquid pain medicine. Not much improvement yet, so will probably be taking him into the SPCA hospital in a day or two.

Anyway, his behavior has changed. He has always been a scaredy-cat. The slightest noise would turn on panic-mode, and he's 'hand shy'. Was told he was unable to get along with the kids and dogs. I suspect abuse. Since coming home last night he has been acting different. He is never more than 2 to 3 feet away (yet always with his back to me), and if I get out of line-of-sight he quickly comes after me. He now rubs against me; never did before. Wants petting at every opportunity, and fixated on the hairbrush....also on scentmarking everything. Refuses to use either of his beds, my bed, or even my chair which he previously commandeered every day. He is now strictly a floor cat.

I suspect trauma, violation of trust, and maybe separation anxiety. I had to force him into the soft carrier, and I never before forced him to do anything at all. He was howling and fighting to get out, til the taxi took off. He was silent and immobile the whole ride to the vet. The minute I handed him to the worker at the hospital door (here you don't get to go inside the building thanks to the COVID hysteria), he went into meltdown mode. Six hours later when I got him back, he seemed calm, but when I got him home he seemed to stagger some, so I think they tranqed him. I will need to go out soon to deal with the banks, charge up the debit cards, pay bills and haul in some groceries. That takes most of the day. I'm wondering if this is likely to exacerbate his problem? I could maybe delay it til Monday the 7th if necessary, but sooner is better than later.
Ah, poor guy, I wonder if your Buddy thought you were bringing him back...since he was fighting to get out of the carrier.

He could also have some usual fear of the cat carrier, like susanm9006 susanm9006 mentioned above, most cats do indeed hate the carrier.
(my previous cat would run and hide)

***Perhaps you can find some good treats...and place the carrier out in the open,...and leave the door flap open,...with the treats inside...so that Buddy gets used to seeing it.
Some members have used cat nip, to attract their cats to toys, and cat beds, and carriers.

(for my cats, I've only used the cat nip on a 'grooming arch'...and it makes them get near it, and rub on the arch.)
Other members have said that they leave their cat toys inside the cat carrier, too....or put some extra food they like, inside it.
(Not the usual food they eat, ..but something different and extra scented...like tuna flavour.)
Just make sure to ask your Vet about the foods, or treats,...since I don't know which ones would not be good...in cats with idiopathic cystitis.

"...I will need to go out soon to deal with the banks, charge up the debit cards, pay bills and haul in some groceries. That takes most of the day. I'm wondering if this is likely to exacerbate his problem? I could maybe delay it til Monday the 7th if necessary, but sooner is better than later."

If you could delay it, I would, since it would give your Buddy more time to get used to you, and know that you won't just leave him.
But if you could also split up the things you have to do, or not be gone for the whole day...say make a faster trip to the grocery store...then it might help Buddy to know that when you leave...you also come back fairly soon.
(I'm really not sure what my cats get up to, when I'm out doing grocery runs. They're probably all sleeping.)

Though, I imagine that being at the Shelter, people would come and go, too.
So maybe if he's just sleeping, during the day, and you're not gone too, too long,...he'd be fine.

**If you can ask the SPCA vet, or even the ER Vet, by phone, ..if it's also okay to give your Buddy some type of 'cat calming treats'?
Not sure if you can, or not, because of the meds given for his idiopathic cystitis.

Hope your Buddy gets to feeling better soon. :bluepaw:
Sending you all the Best, to you and your cat. :vibes::vibes::caticon: :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, poor guy, I wonder if your Buddy thought you were bringing him back...since he was fighting to get out of the carrier.

He could also have some usual fear of the cat carrier, like susanm9006 susanm9006 mentioned above, most cats do indeed hate the carrier.

***Perhaps you can find some good treats...and place the carrier out in the open,...and leave the door flap open,...with the treats inside...so that Buddy gets used to seeing it.
Some members have used cat nip, to attract their cats to toys, and cat beds, and carriers.

(for my cats, I've only used the cat nip on a 'grooming arch'...and it makes them get near it, and rub on the arch.)
Other members have said that they leave their cat toys inside the cat carrier, too....or put some extra food they like, inside it.
(Not the usual food they eat, ..but something different and extra scented...like tuna flavour.)
Just make sure to ask your Vet about the foods, or treats,...since I don't know which ones would not be good...in cats with idiopathic cystitis.

"...I will need to go out soon to deal with the banks, charge up the debit cards, pay bills and haul in some groceries. That takes most of the day. I'm wondering if this is likely to exacerbate his problem? I could maybe delay it til Monday the 7th if necessary, but sooner is better than later."

If you could delay it, I would, since it would give your Buddy more time to get used to you, and know that you won't just leave him.
But if you could also split up the things you have to do, or not be gone for the whole day...say make a faster trip to the grocery store...then it might help Buddy to know that when you leave...you also come back fairly soon.
(I'm really not sure what my cats get up to, when I'm out doing grocery runs. They're probably all sleeping.)

So maybe if he's just sleeping, during the day, and you're not gone too, too long,...he'd be fine.

**If you can ask the SPCA vet, or even the ER Vet, by phone, ..if it's also okay to give your Buddy some type of 'cat calming treats'?
Not sure if you can, or not, because of the meds given for his idiopathic cystitis.

The soft cat carrier and stroller was how I got him home from the shelter. He cried all the way, so likely not a good memory. Unfortunately Buddy refuses to eat anything but the dang 'Fussy Cat' canned food. Because of struvite crystals in his urine he is supposed to eat prescription cat food, but refuses to touch it. No Greenies or other treats. No fried chicken. Chicken broth. Chopped raw beef liver. Nothing. Has no interest in any toys other than 'GoCat Da Bird'. He does love catnip, but it makes him a bit wild...not sure the soft carrier could survive his wildcat mode.

This is the end of day one since the trauma of the ER trip, and I have seen no improvement. No action at all in the litterbox, even though he did eat twice. Food going in and not coming out can't be a good thing. ER said to give the medicine a couple days, but I'll call the SPCA hospital tomorrow, and see if they think I should try to bring him in Friday morning. No appointments, so I'd have to get there at 7am and hope that is early enough to get a place in line, before they open at 8am. That will be another $175 on top of the $265 for the ER, which pretty much shoots Buddy's $500 emergency fund...so if it is bad news, I may have to surrender him back to the SPCA shelter. Better he go to live with a rich boy than die with a poor one. I love him but I'm not going to love him to death.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have a cat that has gone through multiple traumas in a few days, getting adopted, getting sick, being put in a carrier (most cats HATE this) and going to the vet. These all are stressful and can affect a cat’s behavior. Its just going to take a few days for him to relax and start feeling better and for you to start seeing his true personality come out.
I never had a cat on my own, and not been with a cat for over thirty years. I have no idea what to do. Wait and see as the ER (and I Ching) consuls, or move with haste to get medical help as my gut is screaming? Is it serious, or am I overreacting? Am I putting his life at risk by nonaction? I don't know. I dread taking Buddy to the SPCA hospital.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Try mixing the cat food he will eat with the new prescription kind, mostly old at first and then a little more of the new every day. I would give it at least another day for him to poop. You also can ask your vet if they can prescribe or suggest some kind of laxative that might get things moving.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Some suggestions was to use "toppers"...bonito fakes, forti-flora, crumbling his old food on top of his new one,...anything really to entice your cat to begin to eat the prescription diet.
(I had to slowly introduce k/d food to my ckd cat, by placing both down, into his plate...and slowly adding more of the prescription food, while subtracting his old food. There was a lot of placing down, and taking back up, and warming up, adding a bit of warm water, and tonnes of experimenting with various 'toppers' until he would actually eat the 'new food' on his own.)
This is the end of day one since the trauma of the ER trip, and I have seen no improvement. No action at all in the litterbox, even though he did eat twice. Food going in and not coming out can't be a good thing. ER said to give the medicine a couple days, but I'll call the SPCA hospital tomorrow, and see if they think I should try to bring him in Friday morning. No appointments, so I'd have to get there at 7am and hope that is early enough to get a place in line, before they open at 8am. That will be another $175 on top of the $265 for the ER, which pretty much shoots Buddy's $500 emergency fund...so if it is bad news, I may have to surrender him back to the SPCA shelter. Better he go to live with a rich boy than die with a poor one. I love him but I'm not going to love him to death.
I never had a cat on my own, and not been with a cat for over thirty years. I have no idea what to do. Wait and see as the ER (and I Ching) consuls, or move with haste to get medical help as my gut is screaming? Is it serious, or am I overreacting? Am I putting his life at risk by nonaction? I don't know. I dread taking Buddy to the SPCA hospital.
Definitely go with your gut and instincts.

***Because you mentioned that Buddy is eating but there's no action in the litterbox...then I'd consider that an emergency...especially if he is not urinating.
(the pain meds could also be causing constipation, if they are the strong ones like buprenorphine opiod meds)

**I would not wait, and your Plan of calling the SPCA hospital is a good one.
Hoping that you can take him in to the SPCA vets, and they would assess him, and work with you to offer you some sort of discount, too.
(Here, the SPCA is not actually a 'no kill shelter' even though they claim to be. Sadly your Buddy may or may not be treated in length if he is surrendered...depending on whoever is advocating for him.
And what financial resources they have.)

But regardless of this, you still showed him some caring and love, in the short time that you had him, so at least he knows that someone cared for him.
It's so rough and unfair, that your new guy, has to be going through all these health problems...but it does sound like you're a really good cat guardian, who pays attention to detail and observes their cats well.
Even just noticing the amount of times a cat uses the litterbox, and how much he eats or does not eat...is really attentive.

Hoping that you get that SPCA hospital appointment as soon as you can.
Sending you all the luck, for your Buddy and you.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet should have given your cat fluids and something to help, not just pain medication. I'm sorry you are going through this and I know it is stressful. If this cat has not peed since you took him to the vet yesterday, he needs to be seen. Not waiting to see if he eats the food you gave him. I'm not yelling at you. I am "yelling" at this vet. They aren't helping you or your kitty.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try mixing the cat food he will eat with the new prescription kind, mostly old at first and then a little more of the new every day. I would give it at least another day for him to poop. You also can ask your vet if they can prescribe or suggest some kind of laxative that might get things moving.
Tried that already at the insistence of the SPCA staff. Half and half was a no go. Three parts to one part got shot down. Tried a teaspoon full in the center of a mound of half a can. The moment Buddy got to it he walked off. I later asked the staff if they had tried this, they said they had, I asked if it ever worked, and they said "not really". One wonders why they thought it would work for me, when it failed for them.

The problem with Buddy is he is fixated on this dang Fussy Cat Tuna with Salmon in Aspic, and that is all he will eat. Bigger problem is it is becoming increasingly hard to find, even on the internet.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some suggestions was to use "toppers"...bonito fakes, forti-flora, crumbling his old food on top of his new one,...anything really to entice your cat to begin to eat the prescription diet.
(I had to slowly introduce k/d food to my ckd cat, by placing both down, into his plate...and slowly adding more of the prescription food, while subtracting his old food. There was a lot of placing down, and taking back up, and warming up, adding a bit of warm water, and tonnes of experimenting with various 'toppers' until he would actually eat the 'new food' on his own.)

Definitely go with your gut and instincts.

***Because you mentioned that Buddy is eating but there's no action in the litterbox...then I'd consider that an emergency...especially if he is not urinating.
(the pain meds could also be causing constipation, if they are the strong ones like buprenorphine opiod meds)

**I would not wait, and your Plan of calling the SPCA hospital is a good one.
Hoping that you can take him in to the SPCA vets, and they would assess him, and work with you to offer you some sort of discount, too.
(Here, the SPCA is not actually a 'no kill shelter' even though they claim to be. Sadly your Buddy may or may not be treated in length if he is surrendered...depending on whoever is advocating for him.
And what financial resources they have.)

But regardless of this, you still showed him some caring and love, in the short time that you had him, so at least he knows that someone cared for him.
It's so rough and unfair, that your new guy, has to be going through all these health problems...but it does sound like you're a really good cat guardian, who pays attention to detail and observes their cats well.
Even just noticing the amount of times a cat uses the litterbox, and how much he eats or does not eat...is really attentive.

Hoping that you get that SPCA hospital appointment as soon as you can.
Sending you all the luck, for your Buddy and you.
Buddy finally gave me a decent urine clump in the litter box before I left this afternoon, and a second one around 10pm. No where near as good as the 3 to 4 times he used to go, but I am somewhat hopeful the pills might be working, so decided against taking him to the SPCA hospital Friday morning, as I think the trip to the ER was traumatic for him, and 5 to 6 hours waiting didn't do my sciatica any good either. I will call them and see what they say though, as there is still no sign of poo. From the $500 emergency fund I had set aside, I still have enough left to cover their $175 fee, if they tell me to bring him in.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So I did cut the trip today in half, but still took six hours, as the public transit here has gotten awful over the last five years. Now I'll still have to finish the remaining errands tomorrow, but should be able to get it done in 3 to 4 hours. I don't like leaving Buddy alone so long, even though I have space music playing softly via my DVD player and TV, along with Youtube bird videos for him to watch on the monitor. On the plus side, I'm informed that the cat halter I ordered is waiting at my mail drop, so I'll be able to take him for a walk out back to the dumpster at night, for a sunbath during the day, and for a ride around the block in the stroller sometimes. I still think he sleeps so much because he is bored.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy finally gave me a decent urine clump in the litter box before I left this afternoon, and a second one around 10pm. No where near as good as the 3 to 4 times he used to go, but I am somewhat hopeful the pills might be working, so decided against taking him to the SPCA hospital Friday morning, as I think the trip to the ER was traumatic for him, and 5 to 6 hours waiting didn't do my sciatica any good either. I will call them and see what they say though, as there is still no sign of poo. From the $500 emergency fund I had set aside, I still have enough left to cover their $175 fee, if they tell me to bring him in.
That's a relief that he at least urinated.
Maybe the pain meds that they gave you, are slowing down his digestive tract, and causing some constipation, as well.
But really good that you will Call them and ask the Vets.
So I did cut the trip today in half, but still took six hours, as the public transit here has gotten awful over the last five years. Now I'll still have to finish the remaining errands tomorrow, but should be able to get it done in 3 to 4 hours. I don't like leaving Buddy alone so long, even though I have space music playing softly via my DVD player and TV, along with Youtube bird videos for him to watch on the monitor. On the plus side, I'm informed that the cat halter I ordered is waiting at my mail drop, so I'll be able to take him for a walk out back to the dumpster at night, for a sunbath during the day, and for a ride around the block in the stroller sometimes. I still think he sleeps so much because he is bored.
Sounds really good, getting all those errands done.
If you're gone longer than six hours, then some 'automatic pet feed timers' might help.

Cats do sleep quite a bit, especially during the day, and are more active at specific times.
(my cats are more active around 5am-7am, and then again at either 12pm-1pm, or 2pm...and 4pm-7pm, or 8pm...with the odd 10pm, and 2am thrown in there, too.)

Once your Buddy is feeling better, and off any pain meds, then you might notice his more active and awake times, as well.
Since he likes Da Bird, he will probably want you to play with him at various times during the day, and right before bedtime.
I'm sure the more you get to know one another, the routine times will follow.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I am cautiously hopeful. Been getting two urine clumps a day, and a little poo every other day. Not the best, but way better than before. Yesterday marked the end of the dry food moratorium. Turns out Buddy likes both the Hills Prescription Urinary Care C/D the SPCA sent home with him, and the IAMS Proactive Healthy Senior which I had on hand. I guess one or the other made him thirsty, as last night was the first time I ever saw him drink water. A few hours ago the SPCA Hospital called me, and scheduled Buddy for an appointment next week for his long overdue Wellness Checkup...so maybe I can quit worrying (so much).

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
So I am cautiously hopeful. Been getting two urine clumps a day, and a little poo every other day. Not the best, but way better than before. Yesterday marked the end of the dry food moratorium. Turns out Buddy likes both the Hills Prescription Urinary Care C/D the SPCA sent home with him, and the IAMS Proactive Healthy Senior which I had on hand. I guess one or the other made him thirsty, as last night was the first time I ever saw him drink water. A few hours ago the SPCA Hospital called me, and scheduled Buddy for an appointment next week for his long overdue Wellness Checkup...so maybe I can quit worrying (so much).
What method did you use to get your Buddy to finally accept eating the Prescription Urinary Care C/D food?

Can you ask your Vet, next week, if it's okay to feed the Iams food, along side the Hills C/D.?
Just to make sure.
(I read that the Hills C/D is supposed to dissolve the bladder stones, so not really sure if you feed it exclusively...until the stones are gone.

All good luck sent your way for next week's Checkup. :vibes::vibes::tabbycat:

It's true, once you know what is going on with your Buddy, and have a 'baseline health report' on him, then yes, you will worry less.
Sending more Health Vibes, that the food Buddy is eating will flush out those struvite stones or sediment, too. :greenpaw::bluepaw:

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What method did you use to get your Buddy to finally accept eating the Prescription Urinary Care C/D food?

Can you ask your Vet, next week, if it's okay to feed the Iams food, along side the Hills C/D.?
Just to make sure.
(I read that the Hills C/D is supposed to dissolve the bladder stones, so not really sure if you feed it exclusively...until the stones are gone.

All good luck sent your way for next week's Checkup. :vibes::vibes::tabbycat:

It's true, once you know what is going on with your Buddy, and have a 'baseline health report' on him, then yes, you will worry less.
Sending more Health Vibes, that the food Buddy is eating will flush out those struvite stones or sediment, too. :greenpaw::bluepaw:
Buddy continues to refuse either of the prescription canned foods. I held out 24 hours, then gave up, as him fasting means there is no food for me to hide a few teaspoons of water in, so no water intake at all. As for the prescription dry food, I did nothing...he had been trying to chew his way into the bags since coming home...in fact he seems a bit obsessed with both the dry foods. I set a small handful out before going to bed, if I can distract him long enough to do it, otherwise he will run to get at it even if just fed his beloved Fussy Cat.

SPCA called back the next day and rescheduled the appointment for 12th of April. Worrisome, but Harlow is doing much better, and I've managed to replace the $260 ER hit to my emergency fund, so I'm not freaking out so far. Thanks for the good wishes.

Last edited:

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Addendum:

I'm getting nice big urine clumps at least three times a day (I upped the distilled water to three teaspoons per meal). The ER vet said Buddy has an unusually small bladder, and since he won't drink water, I'm being sneaky. Stool continues to be sketchy...for three days there was no sign, then this morning I found a reasonable size deposit. Last couple days I been adding two drops of olive oil in each meal. Not sure if that helped or not. I'm starting to look for laxatives. Miramax, Metamucil or coconut oil looks promising.