New Adoption - Anxious, Sweet Cat Looking For A Shoe To Drop @1 Month

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not much to add just came to stare and admire the wonderful pictures and video! I am glad he's doing better though and he seems very relaxed around you which is great. I am sure in no time he will turn into a snuggle bug.
When i first got Toby he would always be under the couch hiding...Food was the only way to coax him out. But after a few weeks or encouraging him, lots of play, he gained tons of confidence and now he runs around and yells all over my apartment haha
But i think you're doing a wonderful job, and thank you for giving him a home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
You're familiar with helping your furbuddy to lose weight very slowly? Do you have a baby scale or a bathroom scale?
Also no matter the number that's used, the most important thing is that you can feel a thin layer over his ribs, that is good body condition.
I was told to limit his intake to 295 calories daily (calculated at 17 lbs - 1st vet visit). I am feeding the Costco Cat Maintenence at a rounded 1/2 cup (probably 3/4 cup). I tried to transition him to wet food, but he stopped eating it. I have since bought nutro pate and with a little water, he will eat a couple of bites...then ignore it.

During his stressed times though, he won't even clear 1/2 cup. I worry about his appetite, but yesterday, he finished most of the dry and some wet. Have had him to the vet twice, and they say he looks good. Bloodwork is clear. neg test for heartworms, FeLV/FIV...so i am assuming the intermittent appetite loss is anxiety related.

This has been one of my biggest concerns, i want to help him lose slowly...and don't want him to quit eating!

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
Not much to add just came to stare and admire the wonderful pictures and video! I am glad he's doing better though and he seems very relaxed around you which is great. I am sure in no time he will turn into a snuggle bug.
When i first got Toby he would always be under the couch hiding...Food was the only way to coax him out. But after a few weeks or encouraging him, lots of play, he gained tons of confidence and now he runs around and yells all over my apartment haha
But i think you're doing a wonderful job, and thank you for giving him a home
Hi 2rescuekitties,
Thanks for the compliment on Jazzy. He is training me to dote on him very well.
That hiding game gets so old! Hahaha glad that Toby settled in and has made himself at home.

Thanks for the confidence. I am so lucky to have him in our lives.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're right, you have an interesting, --if that's the right word, challenge!
Have you looked into calming diffusers? Thunderease and sentry are a couple products of many, also Calm-o-mile is a calming treat, again just one in a well populated market. Maybe something there would help?
Have you tried bonito flakes as an enticing topper on the wet? Tuna? Crumbled kibble even?

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
You're right, you have an interesting, --if that's the right word, challenge!
Have you looked into calming diffusers? Thunderease and sentry are a couple products of many, also Calm-o-mile is a calming treat, again just one in a well populated market. Maybe something there would help?
Have you tried bonito flakes as an enticing topper on the wet? Tuna? Crumbled kibble even?
Burning Feliway in the hallway (2nd bottle - dear Lord it's expensive!). My free cat has cost me 500 so far...LOL...Free? I think not.

I tried parmasean cheese as a topper so far...NOPE. Tuna...NOPE, Costco Rotisserie Chicken?...NOPE (it didn't go to waste tho...mmmmmm). I have never seen such a fat kitty be so finicky. I don't want to run him back to the vet again because it causes stress...not what my kitty needs. I am trying to keep like quiet and wait til the move stress calms down. The former owners said he hid for two weeks after they moved which wasnt long ago. Poor lil guy.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our tabby disappears when we have guests. For hours afterwards.
He disappears when have one guest, but, after awhile comes out peek..usually.
I hurt my back the other day and have been using a cane. Mostly just to remind me to go slow. That cane terrified him for a couple of days. He was pouncing it the 4th day though.
The big one used to love lots of company. The more people the happier he was.
Now? He likes them one at time. Several at once he doesn't much care for. And he's not skittish. SO....be thankful your cat is skittish.
One burglar would have no problem. Four burglars would have a big problem. :flail:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Jazzy is a cave dweller. Get a cardboard box and fold the flaps in or remove them. Then put the cardboard box on it's side. Put a cat bed in there if you want. Then hang a sheet or towel over the box so 3/4 of the entrance is covered. That way he can hide. Or get him a very deep/long box (or soft crate if he doesn't associate it with the vet) so he can get in deep into the dark end. I think if you put a covered cardboard box in the living room he will get braver. If it works you can get him another box somewhere else to help build up his confidence. I gave my cave cat on top of my dresser because it is waist high & in my closet. So I gave him a bed and a hung a sheet on the hanger rack so he can hide.

Also look at that belly! :) I think that means scratch behind my ear then grab the feather wand so I can kill it ;)