New Adoption - Anxious, Sweet Cat Looking For A Shoe To Drop @1 Month

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

We adopted/re-homed a precious blue-point 6 year old male/neutered Balinese boy a month ago. He comes from a multi-pet household and was owned by a couple who wanted to re-home him because they did not have the time and attention they felt he needed. They say Balinese are hypoallergenic, and since I married my husband 3 years ago, we were unable to have a cat due to his allergies. We dared to hope...and after meeting - hubby had no reaction at all!

Well, the first week he just hid under a bed and took several days to eat anything. He loves people, and would hide but kneed the carpet when we went in to talk to him. he finally came out and explored the house, but it took a couple of weeks. We had new cat check up, and blood work (all fine). We were given a pill to help stimulate his appetite and it worked. he was starting to come around and even started to eat wet food (yay). After deciding he wouldn't sleep with us because of hubby's allergies, he slept with us after a week and does love his people.

Week 3, we went back in for shots and he went back under the bed in our room due to visitors and maybe not feeling well. We moved everything cat into our quiet master bedroom so Jazzy could stay hidden and not meet the gregarious 23 month old child that was visiting. I tried to take him out to meet the visitors, but he was obviously TERRIFIED of every new person and I returned him to the bedroom.

It took this entire week for him to come back out of his shell and eat semi-normally again. He's a big boy (17 lbs at adoption, and 16.75 at last vet visit). He is coming out of his shell to play and attacks catnip mice. He also "asks" for his catnip plant occasionally. Sometimes he breathes fast (vet can find no issues with his lungs) and he is ready to slink away at any unknown sound. Even my grown son making noise in the next room frightens Jazzy. We give him tons of cuddles and encouragement and everything we know to do. We are a single pet /adult only household. He is a kitty-puppy in general and follows me room to room. I am luckily his "person" and I notice he stays close...maybe for protection?

Has anyone else every struggled with a sensitive kitty that takes months to settle in...any advice to help him feel at home? When do you try kitty anxiety medicine?

Oh yeah...attaching kitty pics :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sound like far skittish side in the range of normal. A lot of cats are fairly skittish! Not sure on the panting, I've seen that associated with play but not fear.

Don't pick up a scared cat, and don't try to bring it to the source of the fear, its a good way to get scratched and won't help the cat get over it. Instead use persuasion, call noises, treats, toys and/or time.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JazzysMom JazzysMom - I'll go along with A ArtNJ - It's simply skittishness, and if your veterinarian can't find any physical reason for occasional tachypnea, I'd chalk it up to anxiety.

I've lived with feral cats most of my Life, and they can take a long time to adapt. In Jazzy's case, he doubtless harbours the same basic anxiety as feral cats coming inside. His home has been replaced with new people and a new environment. Take a person away from their home with no explanation, and that person might never recover. Cats - despite being much like old men, and being resistant to change - will eventually adapt and overcome - it's simply a matter of time, patience and Love - and the last is, in my personal opinion, the most important. Love does, indeed, conquer all.

Best of luck to you, your Family, and to Jazzy - and welcome to TCS!

Edited to add: Jazzy is absolutely gorgeous!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, and congrats on adopting Jazzy! You sound like wonderful cat parents, and he is a cutie.

When we adopted Juniper, she was very skittish, and it also took her a long time to warm up to us and accept pets and cuddles. We, too, worried that she would never adjust and be happy in our home. It took much longer than we expected for her to feel comfortable-- probably 2-3 months to become less reactive to sudden noises or movements, and closer to 5 to really start accepting affection more freely. So please be patient with Jazzy and with yourselves as you guide him in settling in-- there's a lot of new for a cat in a human household (smells, sounds, spaces, etc.) and it takes longer for some to settle in that we expect.

The thing that really helped with Juniper was giving her a cat tree where she could spend time around us, observing and experiencing us, but not feel compelled to interact with us. It was pushed up against a wall, where she could feel safe on two sides, and she could keep an eye on both of us at once. We never approached her without her knowing it, and never petted or interacted with her without her permission, and definitely never removed her from the cat tree ever. She also had a good hiding spot in the bedroom closet that was a similar safe space, and she would let us coax her out, but we couldn't pick her up or reach her if she didn't want us to.

It sounds like your Jazzy is more receptive to cuddling but possibly even more skittish about other disruptions, but he might benefit from a similar strategy of giving him lots of hiding spaces and letting him come out and interact on his own terms.

Within that, respect your kitty's particular sources of fear, which make take awhile to suss out. Juniper is pretty receptive to meeting new people (which surprised us!) but still isn't comfortable with more than one person moving at a time-- she will still stop playing with me, for example, when my husband enters the room or gets up from his desk. Your Jazzy probably has his own triggers and preferences.

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Your new kitty is adorable. I agree with others here that this will probably get better with time . One thing that has helped our anxious kitty with noises a little is music or the radio. We have them in different rooms and sometimes cats will have to listen to a loud baseball game, sometimes music - all different kinds , soft and loud, talk radio, just anything. It just seemed to help our cat be not so startled everytime he heard a loud noise so it might be something you could try.
Good luck with your pretty kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
Sound like far skittish side in the range of normal. A lot of cats are fairly skittish! Not sure on the panting, I've seen that associated with play but not fear.

Don't pick up a scared cat, and don't try to bring it to the source of the fear, its a good way to get scratched and won't help the cat get over it. Instead use persuasion, call noises, treats, toys and/or time.
Thanks for the reply, ArtNJ. I have had 4 cats in my life, and managed to never have a scared y-cat or anxious one. Absolutely new experience with this one. never had a lap cat either, very different personality on Jazzy.

Jazzy is not one for combs and I didn't listen. He bit me while going to the comb. Had my first Dr. visit with antibiotics on week 1! I hear you!

He does seems to do anything for sweet talk :)

Thanks again.

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
JazzysMom JazzysMom - I'll go along with A ArtNJ - It's simply skittishness, and if your veterinarian can't find any physical reason for occasional tachypnea, I'd chalk it up to anxiety.

I've lived with feral cats most of my Life, and they can take a long time to adapt. In Jazzy's case, he doubtless harbours the same basic anxiety as feral cats coming inside. His home has been replaced with new people and a new environment. Take a person away from their home with no explanation, and that person might never recover. Cats - despite being much like old men, and being resistant to change - will eventually adapt and overcome - it's simply a matter of time, patience and Love - and the last is, in my personal opinion, the most important. Love does, indeed, conquer all.

Best of luck to you, your Family, and to Jazzy - and welcome to TCS!

Edited to add: Jazzy is absolutely gorgeous!
Hi 1CatOverTheLine,

Thank you for the reply! That's a very thoughtful way to look at the change for Jazzy. He lost so many friends and everything he knew with this rehoming. Never thought of it before, but there is a similarity between cats and grumpy old men! Your advice is super helpful. I have lots of love, and am patient. I just want to make sure this little guy is as comfortable as possible. We adore him, as cats rightfully demand to be admired :).

Thank you for the warm welcome.
37539480_10212720766713707_2436229742349778944_o.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, and congrats on adopting Jazzy! You sound like wonderful cat parents, and he is a cutie.

When we adopted Juniper, she was very skittish, and it also took her a long time to warm up to us and accept pets and cuddles. We, too, worried that she would never adjust and be happy in our home. It took much longer than we expected for her to feel comfortable-- probably 2-3 months to become less reactive to sudden noises or movements, and closer to 5 to really start accepting affection more freely. So please be patient with Jazzy and with yourselves as you guide him in settling in-- there's a lot of new for a cat in a human household (smells, sounds, spaces, etc.) and it takes longer for some to settle in that we expect.

The thing that really helped with Juniper was giving her a cat tree where she could spend time around us, observing and experiencing us, but not feel compelled to interact with us. It was pushed up against a wall, where she could feel safe on two sides, and she could keep an eye on both of us at once. We never approached her without her knowing it, and never petted or interacted with her without her permission, and definitely never removed her from the cat tree ever. She also had a good hiding spot in the bedroom closet that was a similar safe space, and she would let us coax her out, but we couldn't pick her up or reach her if she didn't want us to.

It sounds like your Jazzy is more receptive to cuddling but possibly even more skittish about other disruptions, but he might benefit from a similar strategy of giving him lots of hiding spaces and letting him come out and interact on his own terms.

Within that, respect your kitty's particular sources of fear, which make take awhile to suss out. Juniper is pretty receptive to meeting new people (which surprised us!) but still isn't comfortable with more than one person moving at a time-- she will still stop playing with me, for example, when my husband enters the room or gets up from his desk. Your Jazzy probably has his own triggers and preferences.
Hi Etarre,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Juniper. Very helpful to know that sometimes it just takes a while to have a cat ease into the new surroundings. I like your style - everything with permission. I look back to the first night when my adult daughter dropped in to meet Jazzy, and we gently pulled him out from under the bed to say hello. Egads. That was just plain not the right move. Poor kitty. We then realized he was not like our former cats and he was seriously frightened. If I could "do-over", I would.

My Mom dropped in to run some laundry yesterday and Jazzy hung out by me, but would drop down and speed slink by Mom, as if expecting an attack by the 81 year old lady :) He went over to offer a friendly boop and sniff at my request (he followed me over to her chair), but decided that was enough stranger danger and kept watch all afternoon :D but at least he didn't need to hide.

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Your new kitty is adorable. I agree with others here that this will probably get better with time . One thing that has helped our anxious kitty with noises a little is music or the radio. We have them in different rooms and sometimes cats will have to listen to a loud baseball game, sometimes music - all different kinds , soft and loud, talk radio, just anything. It just seemed to help our cat be not so startled everytime he heard a loud noise so it might be something you could try.
Good luck with your pretty kitty!
Hi Hlee,
Thank you! Jazzy likes classical, I think :) He seems to relax when I play it for him. That's a great tip. We tend to not watch TV and it's a house that is echo-y. Tall ceilings and a central open stairwell causes weird downstairs noises. I am sure it's not helping. Thanks for the idea, will try to play more music :)

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww... Jazzy is super gorgeous. And looks pretty comfy there in that last pic. :catlove:

It's possible the lack of attention he received at his previous home made him timid or shy. Here are a couple TCS articles that might have some tips for you.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
Rubysmama,
Thanks a BUNCH for the articles! It could be...I wish I knew what was going on and what he has been through. When the former owners came, they clearly felt they could not provide what Jazzy needed. Jazzy did have mats (I have combed out and had the vet help me with one I could not brush out) and was seeming almost painfully fat and almost unable to jump. Just seemed unwell. They found a yeast infection in his ears which we treated. They had dogs, but said Jazzy got along with everyone.

I am super grateful they chose us for his adoption, so not looking a gaift horse in the mouth. With Jazzy's low allergen quality, he makes my kitty dreams come true. I am one of the animal people who thrives with a pet. My daughter brought me a bearded dragon to try to get me a pet....but it scared the crackers outta me :) ...anyhoo....

My poor hubby has asthma and severe animal allergies. When he was a boy, a dog gave him anaphylaxis. He has had shot immunity treatment, but is allergic to most furry critters - except for Jazzy! I thought we would have to buy a Balinese kitten, but this adoption just happened at the right time. Jazzy does not have papers, but was sold to the previous owner as a Balinese.

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the typos, I don't have an edit button that I can find. I will guess that comes with time on the forum.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jazzy is gorgeous! He looks very comfortable with you. It does seem the shorter the fur the more they like brushing. Our one long haired cat screamed like someone was killing her when brushed and that was with no mats.

Does having his face and head brushed also upset him? My short haired cat get overstimulated in a happy way when being brushed so i hold a soft brush by their face while brushing the rest of the body. They both rub and chew on the soft brush. I don't know if this would help a cat fearful of the brush. Maybe have a soft brush nearby and brush around his face when he's relaxed to give him the idea that brush can be good.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will guess that comes with time on the forum.
It does, just a few more posts and you'll see the edit just next to the little black flag in the lower left hand corner of your posts ;)
Just wanted to say, you're doing marvelously by this cat, your pictures of Jazzy are showing a very relaxed and content feline.
The things you're doing are definitely on the right track, in the process of learning his ways and adjusting to the things he doesn't like. Unhappy cats don't splatch themselves all over a/hog the entire pillow/folded blanket :thumbsup: :cloud9:
By the way, Jazzy certainly doesn't appear fat in the pictures you posted here.

Last edited:

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
Jazzy is gorgeous! He looks very comfortable with you. It does seem the shorter the fur the more they like brushing. Our one long haired cat screamed like someone was killing her when brushed and that was with no mats.

Does having his face and head brushed also upset him? My short haired cat get overstimulated in a happy way when being brushed so i hold a soft brush by their face while brushing the rest of the body. They both rub and chew on the soft brush. I don't know if this would help a cat fearful of the brush. Maybe have a soft brush nearby and brush around his face when he's relaxed to give him the idea that brush can be good.
Hi Helenww,

Thank you. I think Jazzy loves humans very much, and that helps him bridge his skittish nature. Poor love, sounds like your long haired kitty was not on board with brushing at all.

Jazzy submits to brushing with reproachful stares, comb and brush biting and angry tail flicks. He will remove himself from the annoying grooming party in a huff. I have not tried to comb around the mouth...because brush biting. I bought a soft collar if worst comes to worst, but I don't want to push him into hostile grooming. I just grab a couple of brush licks when I can, and try to be frequent about it. I tried grooming gloves for long haired kitties, but he's annoyed with those, too. So far I am ahead of the mats, so that's the good news.

Great idea on a decoy brush. I'll give that a shot!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is cute!

My bud Dante is a bit like Jazzy. He can't stand a bath room door separating him from me, follows me around every where, needs me to be within 10 feet of the (OPEN!) sliding glass door to feel brave enough to go outside & his tail comes right up when I'm around. Without me? He is an insecure scared-y cat. I talk to him? His tail shoots straight up & he starts strutting :rolleyes: I have found calmly talking to him and giving him a quick ear scratch then going on with my life, calms him down. :catlove: I also let him just be on my lap, without petting if, which he loves. My bud is all about the food and being up high.
So I think a cat tree in the living room is great..... a cat tree that is right next to the top of a bookcase so he can have a high up hiding spot behind a plant? It is cat paradise! (Like his secret top of the wardrobe spot:
IMG_5641.JPG Also giving him a few cat cubes so he can hide until he feels secure to expand his territory might help. (Is he a cave cat or a up on the closet shelf cat?) Or a box on it's side can work to. (He likes playing in the cube but my other cat is a cave cat and he hides in it or in cat crate under an end table with the metal gate removed.)
IMG_5480.JPG I would try feeding him in the living room or giving him treats on his cat tree in the living room, so he associates that as his territory to. Playing with him around the house will help to. It is how I get my 11 year old insecure cat to come closer to the visiting little kids. He comes in the room with a clear path to run away from them, now.
The other thing I did was I stopped giving my cats any treats. Then I gave my roommates the treats and asked them to give them to my cats (I had to ask one room mate to keep it at 5 treats a day ;) ) It worked! For the reluctant room mates I would get the treat bag, stand next to the person & toss him a treat! It works I swear :)

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
It does, just a few more posts and you'll see the edit just next to the little black flag in the lower left hand corner of your posts ;)
Just wanted to say, you're doing marvelously by this cat, your pictures of Jazzy are showing a very relaxed and content feline.
The things you're doing are definitely on the right track, in the process of learning his ways and adjusting to the things he doesn't like. Unhappy cats don't splatch themselves all over a/hog the entire pillow/folded blanket :thumbsup: :cloud9:
By the way, Jazzy certainly doesn't appear fat in the pictures you posted here.
Hi Furballsmom,
Yay, I look forward to the edit feature. My punctuation it terrible, I go back through posts and wince.

Thank you for the encouragement. he is a sweet and endearing little guy. Well, I am ridiculously biased. This is him this morning...hope that youtube will play. He is not currently uptight, as you can see. As a matter of fact, Jazzy is rather laid back. :redtabby:. I am getting good vibes. Hopefully his appetite will get stronger (although he need to lose a few pounds) and that anxiety will ease in a few weeks/months. You all have given me hope. I do feel like he has claimed me as his person.

When first adopted, my daughter saw him and laughed he looked like a little potato. It was true, I could not imagine him leaping onto anything. After a bit, he jumped onto the bed, but you could tell it was a HUGE effort for him. now he jumps on and off the bed with less effort. The former owners referred to their "cat room" and I am not sure he got much exercise...but when he first got here, he was shaped like a football and wobbled side to side when he walked.

The vet said he needed to lose 2 lbs to weight 15 lbs, so maybe not so fat, but he was oddly clumsy. there have been big changes this last month and we play with the kittie fishing pole and he now jumps into the back of the couch to look out the window. These things encourage me!:petcat:

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
He is cute!

My bud Dante is a bit like Jazzy. He can't stand a bath room door separating him from me, follows me around every where, needs me to be within 10 feet of the (OPEN!) sliding glass door to feel brave enough to go outside & his tail comes right up when I'm around. Without me? He is an insecure scared-y cat. I talk to him? His tail shoots straight up & he starts strutting :rolleyes: I have found calmly talking to him and giving him a quick ear scratch then going on with my life, calms him down. :catlove: I also let him just be on my lap, without petting if, which he loves. My bud is all about the food and being up high.
So I think a cat tree in the living room is great..... a cat tree that is right next to the top of a bookcase so he can have a high up hiding spot behind a plant? It is cat paradise! (Like his secret top of the wardrobe spot:
View attachment 243897 Also giving him a few cat cubes so he can hide until he feels secure to expand his territory might help. (Is he a cave cat or a up on the closet shelf cat?) Or a box on it's side can work to. (He likes playing in the cube but my other cat is a cave cat and he hides in it or in cat crate under an end table with the metal gate removed.)
View attachment 243896 I would try feeding him in the living room or giving him treats on his cat tree in the living room, so he associates that as his territory to. Playing with him around the house will help to. It is how I get my 11 year old insecure cat to come closer to the visiting little kids. He comes in the room with a clear path to run away from them, now.
The other thing I did was I stopped giving my cats any treats. Then I gave my roommates the treats and asked them to give them to my cats (I had to ask one room mate to keep it at 5 treats a day ;) ) It worked! For the reluctant room mates I would get the treat bag, stand next to the person & toss him a treat! It works I swear :)
Hi Danteshuman,
Dante is ADORABLE! HAHA, love the cape picture.
Sounds like a very similar little personality to Dante.
My cat on a cat tree...I bought him two. Little Lord Jazzy-britches will not climb the towers. If I place his majesty up high, he jumps down. He is a troll/basement/floor kitty, apparently. Honestly though, if that ear infection messed up his equilibrium, maybe he didn't climb much because he learned he would get dizzy. I have no idea - I am reaching. Never saw a cat that refused to go as high as possible. I have an open floor plan for the most part, so hopefully he sees everything as "his". It seems when we are not around, he prefers our dark bedroom under the bed. Jazzy won't eat cat treats either...so that won't work for now,. I am hoping it is skittishness and he will eventually act like a hungry kitty. The former owner said he ate all of his sister cat's food. I wonder if he is still mourning the loss of the other cat and his dog-mates.

Love the cat hiding cube! I think that would go over VERY well!> I'll pick one up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're familiar with helping your furbuddy to lose weight very slowly? Do you have a baby scale or a bathroom scale?
Also no matter the number that's used, the most important thing is that you can feel a thin layer over his ribs, that is good body condition.