New Adopted Cat Following in Footsteps of Old Cat

pytsip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So as some of you know, I lost my Halo a week ago and so we decided to take the opportunity to rescue a kitty who needed our help in Halo's memory and to prevent our kitten from developing only cat syndrome so we adopted an 11 month old kitty, Shadow.

Well, the funniest thing happened, Shadow is literally following in Halo's footsteps. She is laying everywhere that Halo laid and only in those spots. It's as though she is assuming Halo's role. I'm not concerned, but more intrigued and wondering if there's any explanation as to why she would do this. Any ideas?

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cats tend to quickly find the most comfortable spots in a home. Mogli almost immediately took over Jamie's favorite spots when we adopted him, too. I figured they still smelled like cat because Jamie had only been gone 8 days, and they were places that were the sunniest, warmest and/or with the best views.

Congratulations on your new addition!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats have done the same things. When we lost our old cat about a year ago, we decided to wait to get a new cat. When we got our new cat he did the same thing, finding the best perches and spots all over the house. I think there are just certain places that are most attractive to cats.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you still have a halo in your house. [emoji]128519[/emoji] And that you and your household members have a guardian angel nearby. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pytsip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wondered if it had to do with the scent. I also thought that maybe Cloud (our other kitty) had kind of established a territory that was not Halo's and so when Shadow came into the picture she was sticking to the places that she felt weren't Cloud's. It's interesting that others have experienced this. I didn't know it was common.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wondered if it had to do with the scent. I also thought that maybe Cloud (our other kitty) had kind of established a territory that was not Halo's and so when Shadow came into the picture she was sticking to the places that she felt weren't Cloud's. It's interesting that others have experienced this. I didn't know it was common.
Yes, it is common.  When Angel passed at 18, she sent us Angelina.  Both were torties, but almost mirror images of each other.  Yes, I would say that you have a Halo still with you.  Congrats!