New addition

hellothere1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This my new kitty I just adopted. Any idea what breed she could be mixed with? The lady who fostered her said possibly Persian? If she is mixed with Persian will that mean that she will have a Persian personality?

Also she has two diff colored eyes! Still getting to know her but she is very shy but sweet.

Any suggestions for names? :)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
She's really beautiful.  Hopefully someone who knows cat breeds will come along and help you with identifying her, but I just had to remark on how pretty she is.  For some reason the name "Pearl" came to mind when I looked at her pictures.  Congratulations on adopting such a sweet girl!  

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks more Angora. Being all white with odd eyes has the vet checked her hearing? They are prone to being deaf. Beautiful Cat! I am glad you adopted! I think she needs a royal name because I am sure she will be your Queen. Dutchess from the cartoon Aristrocats was a white Turkish Angora.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, she is gorgeous. I don't know much about particular breeds, but she is stunning. For a name.....she looks like a Sophie to me....

paulsey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She definitely has the Turkish Angora look, beautiful cat!

paulsey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How about Sweet Pea for a name?
[emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]

minionofpandora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks more Angora. Being all white with odd eyes has the vet checked her hearing? They are prone to being deaf. Beautiful Cat! I am glad you adopted! I think she needs a royal name because I am sure she will be your Queen. Dutchess from the cartoon Aristrocats was a white Turkish Angora.
There are two "pure" white coat genes:

Dominant White (or "W")

"Dominant" means this gene will take precedence in being inherited. This gene is interlinked with blue, orange, or "odd" eyes. I could be wrong, but I believe "odd" eyes often refers to the albino red sheen, which are not always pure red.

If she has this gene, like Kitty mentioned, there is a high chance of deafness. Turkish White Angoras (which often also have some Persian heritage) are known to have this gene in their lineage. Fortunately, the dominant sense of cats is smell rather than hearing or sight - on the chance she is deaf, she's still going to have a great life.

Did the foster parent call her anything? And if so - did she respond to the name? She's probably not deaf if so.

(While I'm rambling about genetics: the other white gene is simply a white spot that just happens to be all-encompassing. If she had a smudge on her head as a kitten, that's the gene she has.)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

There are two "pure" white coat genes:

Dominant White (or "W")

"Dominant" means this gene will take precedence in being inherited.
This is an inexact descrption here.  The chances of being inherited / "send on"is exactly as everyone else: 50% if the parent has it in only one replica  (parents may have two).

Dominant means, its enough with one replica, to manifest itself in the kittens.  Recessive means, it must be doubled up, to manifest.  So for example, the point gene is recessive, and must be doubled up, one from mom and one from dad, for the kitten to be a point.   The parents dont need to be points, its enough they carry the gene.

While for example tabby and white genes are dominant, and its enough with one replica from one of the parents.

The twist here is, white is very strong even stronger than tabby.  If the kittens gets say white from momma and tabby from daddy, it will usually be white - technically its tabby too, but the white will/may  conceal all the tabbyworks.