New 15 week old kittens

jaymimauk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We bought home 2 15 week old kittens 9 days ago. They had been in a foster home for 5 weeks before which they were semi feral. At the fosterers they were able to pet them and pick them up after time.

They seem very happy and play all the time on their own and with us. I have been able to get them to take food from my hand but as soon as we try to pet them or pick them up they run away. In fact they run when we enter the room. I have managed to stroke one of them.a little and she has also let my husband pet her and pick her up on 3 occasions. Our boy although very happy and playing just won't let us touch him.

I am thinking we just need to give them time but any tips appreciated.

Also they are due in vets on Thursday so ideas in how to get them in carrier welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wife and I took in kittens from the street in the past; its not so different from a home raised kitten...just a bit slower to trust, but they are so adaptable at that age it isn't a huge issue, not generally anyways. Not like taking in an adult feral. Anyway, with either type of kitten the important thing to realize is kittens have "ants in their pants". They don't want to sit still, and they often don't want to be picked up. With many kittens, the best time to pet them is when they are tired. They may crawl in your lap eventually, but don't try putting them there if they aren't ready, and being kittens, they probably are not. Maybe if you catch them while sleepy and put them there, but if it doesn't work, just do what they are ready for. Picking up is the same thing -- if they don't like it, don't do it -- be patient and wait till they are more bonded.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaymimauk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 323900
Thanks for the replt it has made me feel.better. I know it can take time our last kitten was feral and older took her a year to be affectionate but we could always handle her. These two gave so much energy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are just one big ball of energy, they make me tired just looking at them! 9 days is not long at all for any new cat, semi-feral or not. The fact that you see them at all is good. I have had cats hide for literally weeks under a bed when brought home. One good way to get them tamer is to scratch their heads while they are eating, stroking slowly along their bodies. A lot of times they are so intent on eating they don't mind you being near. Be patient and squat down near them to look less imposing. Offer treats and have a wand for playtime. Many times they will forget themselves when playing, and forget they are afraid of you. Being so young, it will not take long for them to enjoy human interaction. But don't expect much for a few weeks yet. Keep us posted!

jaymimauk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are just one big ball of energy, they make me tired just looking at them! 9 days is not long at all for any new cat, semi-feral or not. The fact that you see them at all is good. I have had cats hide for literally weeks under a bed when brought home. One good way to get them tamer is to scratch their heads while they are eating, stroking slowly along their bodies. A lot of times they are so intent on eating they don't mind you being near. Be patient and squat down near them to look less imposing. Offer treats and have a wand for playtime. Many times they will forget themselves when playing, and forget they are afraid of you. Being so young, it will not take long for them to enjoy human interaction. But don't expect much for a few weeks yet. Keep us posted!
Thanks for the reply they certainly are a ball of energy, I try to stroke them when eating, playing and tired. It is working OK with Eve our little girl but Christmas our boy darts away. They are getting more interested in us which is good and we can always get them playing. I will of course keep you all updated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how much value is to petting them when they are eating or playing - they always seem too focused to get anything out of it to me. But definitely take advantage of it if they allow petting when tired. And I do use play to get skittish kits to come up to me or cross over me. Treats also work for that. Teaches them they don't need to fear walking over you, which eventually may help them decide to sit in the lap I think.

jaymimauk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how much value is to petting them when they are eating or playing - they always seem too focused to get anything out of it to me. But definitely take advantage of it if they allow petting when tired. And I do use play to get skittish kits to come up to me or cross over me. Treats also work for that. Teaches them they don't need to fear walking over you, which eventually may help them decide to sit in the lap I think.
Good advice thanks so much 😺

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Best way to get a kitten to eventually come over and climb or sit on you is to sit or lay on the floor with them. You are much less scary at that level and their natural curiosity will make them want to come and check you out. Have some treats that you can offer them or a toy or two and you may get them closer sooner. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they will be ready to cuddle though. But if they are getting sleepy or falling asleep you may be able to move them close to you and pet them while they sleep. If you do this often they will discover that your lap is the perfect warm place for a nap and become willing to cuddle with you at least while they are sleepy.

jaymimauk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Best way to get a kitten to eventually come over and climb or sit on you is to sit or lay on the floor with them. You are much less scary at that level and their natural curiosity will make them want to come and check you out. Have some treats that you can offer them or a toy or two and you may get them closer sooner. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they will be ready to cuddle though. But if they are getting sleepy or falling asleep you may be able to move them close to you and pet them while they sleep. If you do this often they will discover that your lap is the perfect warm place for a nap and become willing to cuddle with you at least while they are sleepy.
Ahh thank you. We have been sitting on the floor with them playing but weirdly I seem to get more attention from our girl when I am in the armchair. I think it might be because in their foster home their safe place was in a big cage that was high up. I haven't tried laying down so might go and have a little snooze with them later.

I have just started carrying treats around too so when they approach I can offer them something.

I think I just need to be more patient, used to adopting older cats.

All this advice is great gonna try all the tips

Thanks

jaymimauk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20200303_065546.jpg
20200302_071748.jpg

Mini update. Things with Eve are going really well as you can see she is all over us, cudddly and purry.

Christmas is another story, still scares of us unless we hand feed him chicken. He runs every time we move but then he sits really close and watches us. But if we move to stroke him he darts. Treating them the same it is so frustrating.