Neutering Problems

flower22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently had my 8 month old kitten fixed; he got an infection and that is under control.  However it has been 8 days and he will not jump up on anything.

He will jump down off things and he is playing but he will not jump up.  Not even if enticed.  He actually looks really scared. 

I have shared my life with many cats over the years, my current group totals 22.  I have never seen anything like this.  The vet said it is all in his head (?)

Has anyone ever experienced this ?  Are there any complications I just don't know about ?

HELP ! 

I don't want to take him for more doctor visits in fear of more trauma on him.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously when your kitten did try to jump up on something after being neutered, he felt a sharp pain.  Postneuter instructions usually advise you to keep the boy in an area where there is nothing to jump up on for at LEAST 24 hours.  I always crate my boys when I'm not holding them (most of them become absolute clingy cuddle babies after being neutered so we watch a lot of TV together for the night and then they go back in their soft-sided crate).  I have noticed that trying to jump up on something does cause them pain early on.  Since your boy had an infection as well, he probably got severe pain every time he attempted to jump up on something and now fears it and avoids it.  If he is completely healed properly, then eventually he will attempt a small jump and discover it no longer hurts and he will then try bigger jumps until he gets over it (this is probably why your vet thinks it's all in his head).  However, it is always possible that something is not right, that scar tissue is impinging on a nerve and he actually IS still feeling pain.  Watch him carefully, and try to lure him into little jumps like putting a treat on the stairs or something.  See if you can get him to jump and NOT experience pain.  If he seems to continue to experience pain, take him back to the vet OR try another vet.  I have not had this problem with a male, but I did have a female foster kitten who had been spayed by the shelter vets and as time went on, she appeared to have more and more limitation in movement and walked stiffly as if in pain even though her incision looked normal.  I took her to my own vet because the shelter vet would not be back for two days, and it turned out she had developed an internal abscess which did not show on the outside but was putting pressure on her internally and causing the pain.  They had to open her up and put a drain in.  It turned out fine, but I am glad I didn't wait the two days for the shelter vet to get back or she might have gotten really sick from it.  Let's hope your guy is just remembering past pain and trying to avoid feeling it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flower22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response.  I have had so many male cats and never seen this.  He does have a small lump, my vet it's nothing, but I will call and ask about and possible abscess.  Hoping he will snap out of it.

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently had my 8 month old kitten fixed; he got an infection and that is under control.  However it has been 8 days and he will not jump up on anything.
He will jump down off things and he is playing but he will not jump up.  Not even if enticed.  He actually looks really scared. 

I have shared my life with many cats over the years, my current group totals 22.  I have never seen anything like this.  The vet said it is all in his head (?)

Has anyone ever experienced this ?  Are there any complications I just don't know about ?

HELP ! 

I don't want to take him for more doctor visits in fear of more trauma on him.
You have 22 kitties? God bless you!!!!
You are a very busy mommy!!! I agree he's probably just scared of hurting. Neutering isn't as complicated as spaying. Hugs to the little guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flower22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, 22 cats are a lot; rest assured my home is always clean.  Takes about 3 hours in the morning and the same at night to keep it all going.

I love them all soooo much !  There is never a dull moment. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, and it's actually extremely rare for a male to have an infection from the neuter surgery. This will cause more pain and soreness for him, he will be jumping and forget all about it soon enough, just need that infection completely gone though.

The lump, probably scar tissue/swelling, but keep an eye on that, watch it doesn't get any bigger, it should slowly get smaller. That it doesn't feel hot, red or oozing.