Neutering Male Kittens

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to get my kittens fixed as soon as possible. I have three vets that I've looked into.

One neuters at four months and 2.5 kg for £70 each.

One neuters at six months for £35 each.

And the last neuters at 1kg for £42.

The last seems a little iffy. I don't know much about kittens getting neutered but mine are coming up on four months (14 weeks) and they both weigh over 2kg and I feel like 1kg would be too small.

I don't want to go for the £70 one for obvious reasons. It is quite honestly astonishing that they would charge so much. Nor do I have that much money, I saved £90 to fix them both an figured it would do.

My problem with the last is that they would probably start spraying by then and I want them to be able to go out as soon as possible. The vet is also quite a bit further away and they work on a first come first serve basis.

I just need a little advice.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet charges $65 for neutering. I don't know how much that is in your money.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It seems like you're in the UK, is that correct? I think in general the folks over there spay and neuter later than they do in the US. At my local shelter, they'll s/n already at 2 lbs (which is a little under 1 kg), so I don't think that last one is a bad option. If you wait until 6 months, I think it is likely they'll start spraying. :confused:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MOST males don't start spraying until 8-10 months. Of course, you never know if you'll get an early bloomer ;). But usually 6 months is OK for males, provided they don't have access to intact females.

But if the third option will neuter them now for only a few pounds more, go for it! They're definitely big enough.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in the UK and the vets around me won't neuter until they are 5/6 months. My boy was done at 6 months at a cost of £42 . He didn't spray before or after the op.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems like you're in the UK, is that correct? I think in general the folks over there spay and neuter later than they do in the US. At my local shelter, they'll s/n already at 2 lbs (which is a little under 1 kg), so I don't think that last one is a bad option. If you wait until 6 months, I think it is likely they'll start spraying. :confused:
I've contacted the six month vet and asked them if they'll do it earlier as it is only a recommendation, I think. We'll see. I think I'll most likely end up going to the £42 one

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in the UK and the vets around me won't neuter until they are 5/6 months. My boy was done at 6 months at a cost of £42 . He didn't spray before or after the op.
I'm definitely deciding between the two cheaper options. I'm going to have a chat with my dad as he's the one who'll be taking us and would have to take time off work for the first come first serve, as would I.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know the cat protection neuter earlier than 6 months. Let us know how it goes.
I will do, I'll probably find out if the cheapest vet will do them at four or five months

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the vets in your local Pets at Home? We go to vets4pets at our local one and they neutered at 4 months. I don't recall it being as much as £70.

If your struggling you could also try speaking to a local charity (cats protection or another local one). When we took in Poppy (pregnant at the time) they offered to pay to have her done but I declined because we could afford to do it ourselves.

Hope that helps!

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the vets in your local Pets at Home? We go to vets4pets at our local one and they neutered at 4 months. I don't recall it being as much as £70.

If your struggling you could also try speaking to a local charity (cats protection or another local one). When we took in Poppy (pregnant at the time) they offered to pay to have her done but I declined because we could afford to do it ourselves.

Hope that helps!
That does actually! I knew there was a vets in my local pets at home but I never thought of it. I'll drop them an email

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just had an email from the cheapest vet, who I've decided to go with, and they said they recommend we get some pain relief from them. It's an extra £10 and from what I've read on here most kittens, particurlarly males, recover really quickly. I was wondering if the pain relief was necessary?

I obviously do to want to put them through pain for the sake of a tenner, but I also want it to be worth it? Or is there any sort of commercial pain relief I can buy?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No commercial pain relief available. Human pain relievers are toxic to cats.

Find out if a shot of pain relief is included in the price of the spay and neuter. Kittens usually do not need it beyond that as they bounce back quickly.

It's the adult cats, especially females, who need pain relief for 3 days after.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used pain relief for neuters. But I'm sure they are a bit sore. Nothing like a spay or dental surgery or anything like that, though. Hmm, ask how many doses you get for the £10. You might be able to split it between them, one or two doses ought to get a healthy male through the worst of the soreness.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine was given pain relief after the op and didn't need any more. It is quite a small op for males, in my case no stitches needed and no return visit to the vet. Check these details with the vet of your choice. I would also phone the other vets you have previously contacted to ask the same questions and if pain relief is needed.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got both the males in our household neutered at 2-3 pounds so right around the 1kg weight. They had no complications and were running around like nothing happened as soon as the surgery medications wore off. In my county no cats can be adopted unless they are spayed or neutered prior to going to their new home. It is extremely common here for shelters and rescues to do the operations as soon as they are large enough.

If you were asking about a female I would say wait or go with the higher cost if it means more supportive care. I have seen the cheap spays and had a cat suffer the consequences of one. My current female wasn't spayed until almost 8 months due to her size and health. When she was spayed she had the top of the line surgery center and care without regard for cost.

With boys though? It is minimally invasive, incredibly quick and doesn't affect anything inside the body. Just a quick snip, tug, snip and done. I'd go with the lowest cost option assuming there is no questionable factors about the location.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got both the males in our household neutered at 2-3 pounds so right around the 1kg weight. They had no complications and were running around like nothing happened as soon as the surgery medications wore off. In my county no cats can be adopted unless they are spayed or neutered prior to going to their new home. It is extremely common here for shelters and rescues to do the operations as soon as they are large enough.

If you were asking about a female I would say wait or go with the higher cost if it means more supportive care. I have seen the cheap spays and had a cat suffer the consequences of one. My current female wasn't spayed until almost 8 months due to her size and health. When she was spayed she had the top of the line surgery center and care without regard for cost.

With boys though? It is minimally invasive, incredibly quick and doesn't affect anything inside the body. Just a quick snip, tug, snip and done. I'd go with the lowest cost option assuming there is no questionable factors about the location.
There isn't anything questionable I have seen. I was actually recommended them from a friend who took her dog for a nail trim and was expecting to pay £80 and to have him sedated because he got really vicious whenever she tried I do it. It took the vet ten minutes with no sedation and cost £18. So I'm fairly certain they're a good vet. They're also generally very busy. I will see if they get some pain meds after the surgery.