Neutered male trying to mount kitten in heat

verlaud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 4-month-old kitten is in heat for the first time, and since I wasn't expecting it this early she hasn't been spayed yet, but will be as soon as her vet can get it done. Meanwhile though, my 5-year-old male, who has been neutered very young and has never shown urges before, mostly ignores her but sometimes he tries to mount her. They get along great normally so she doesn't seem to reject him at all when this happens; it always ends because I break it up. Since he's been neutered I know there's no danger of her getting pregnant, but is there a chance they would actually mate? As in with all the noise, etc.? Because I don't want that to happen and am keeping her isolated in my room when I can't watch them, but they keep muttering at each other through the door and she's really complaining about being contained. This is a rather basic question, I know, but I have never experienced a cat in heat before and my googling isn't helping with this specifically. Thanks so much in advance!

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's gonna let you know.Do not let her out.no matter what!!!JMO C. Kittens having kittens.yes I have personally seen it this young and all babies die.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verlaud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We live in an apartment and there are screens on all windows so there's no danger of her getting out. I'm mostly worried about her interactions with my older, neutered male. She's particularly tiny too, so I know a pregnancy would be dangerous.

Did you mean not letting her out of the room? Like I said, my male is neutered so she wouldn't get pregnant anyway. I'm keeping her in for now though. Thanks for the reply!

recomper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert at sexual reproduction, humans or cats. But I'm guessing since he's neutered, I wouldn't worry about her getting pregnant from him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Neutered male cats will try to mount female cats. All of my cats are fixed but they some times try anyway. I think that as she is much smaller than him the main worry is that he might hurt her. He could nip the back of her neck too hard and give her puncture wounds.

I think it's best to keep them away from each other while she is in heat. A cycle usually only lasts about a week.

Have you made an appointment to get her spayed? You need to try and do this between heat cycles, the womb becomes engorged with blood during a cycle and it's more difficult for the vet to perform the surgery. It would be a good idea to call your vet now, explain that she is on heat and ask him when is the best time to bring her in.

Oh, and be careful with the windows! One of my cats clawed her way through a wire bug screen when she was on heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verlaud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her vet is coming to see her on Saturday, but I guess I'll get a few sleepless nights this week. I'm definitely keeping her away from the windows, although she's shown no signs of wanting to claw at the safety net when I let her out on the balcony (supervised). Either way we're on the 12th floor so I'm not risking it.

I know she wouldn't get pregnant if they mated, my concerns are more about noise and her well-being than anything else.

Also, I've noticed she smells a little different, kind of sweeter? I'm not sure how to explain it; it's not outright bad, but it's not that pleasant either. Have any of you guys ever noticed anything like that?

Thanks for the replies!