Neutered Male Cat Mounting Behavior

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So. Gizmo was neutered at 10 weeks old and he's 2 years old now. I introduced a 7 month old kitten Stevie back in December who had been very recently spayed, though she did go through one heat cycle before her previous owner had her spayed.

For all intents and purposes, they got along very quickly and still do. They sleep next to each other, they playfully chase each other, they groom each other, they seem like buddies. Stevie does hiss and growl at him sometimes when he oversteps and he, of course, acts like he doesn't hear her, which I had thought maybe was him playing too aggressively but what just happened a few minutes ago has me thinking otherwise!

Having been neutered at such a young age and having never displayed any signs like this before, you can imagine I was very dumbfounded to see him biting at the back of Stevie's neck and then moving his hips in a very telling way while hovering over her. :eek: Obviously nothing happened as they're both fixed and once Stevie had had enough humoring him, she gave a hiss and jumped down and he seemingly was satisfied.

I guess my question is, is that normal? For a male cat neutered so young to display that kind of behavior after never having shown signs of it before? Stevie is a very gorgeous girl so I suppose I can't blame him but goodness, Giz. :lol: I have included a picture of the offending boy doing the razzle dazzle and showing off his neutered goods.

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My neutered male does this to my girl (also spayed) from time to time. I think it's normal behavior. My parents had a pair of litter mate brothers who did it to each other even. :lol:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, completely normal. Some of my neutered male cats do it to each other. It's more about dominance than any left over mating urges. As long as he isn't hurting Stevie and she's able to get away from him when she's had enough there's no need to worry.

Gizmo is a very handsome boy.

:loveeyes: