Neutered Male Cat 'mating' With Female

Jetblack2004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and a need some help.

We have four 10-month-old kittens. Three are ginger males (Jeremy, Zach and Mikey), and one is a tortoiseshell female (Smudge). All four were neutered when they were 6 months old and everything went well.

However, i did notice that while Jeremy and Zach's scrotums were slowly disappearing, Mikey's was not. I couldn't feel anything 'in there'. And i thought that there was 0% chance that the vet could've forgotten Mikey (seeing as there were three gingers) or not done it properly. So i left him be.

Today, i saw Mikey pinning Smudge down and holding her hard on the neck! Smudge growled, swiped at him, and managed to get away. I also noticed Mikey walking up to Smudge and rolling over in front of her.

This isnt urgent seeing as Smudge is spayed so nothing could happen 'in that way'. But why was Mikey trying to mate with her? Could this mean that he's not castrated properly?
Mikey's a lovely cat. He love attention and is very affectionate. I just don't understand why he suddenly did that to Smudge today.

Thanks in advance!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can have him re-checked, and it might be a good idea, however, this behavior could be one of two things. First, contrary to popular belief, castration doesn't completely take away the urge to mate in male cats. It diminishes it and gets rid of a LOT of the willingness to fight over the matter, but they can still "get happy" quite well. Second, this may be dominance-related. They may just be sorting out a pecking order. If he is only doing it with the female, I would suspect either something got missed (and, OH, how I am smiling at the mental picture of you checking him, and his face when you did it!), or he's just being a guy. The urge seems to vary from neutered tom to neutered tom, from "couldn't care less" to "WHOOO HOOOO!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jetblack2004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the informative answer. It's really helpful.

Seeing as i can't seem to feel anything 'in there!', I think I might leave him. If i see him doing that to Smudge again though, I might get him checked out.

It's not an AWFULLY huge problem because Smudge is spayed. I just don't want Mikey harassing her!

Thanks again for the reply!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Does Mikey's pee smell any different to his brothers'? If a male cat is still intact their pee has a really strong odour.

Rolling over in front of Smudge can also be a sign of dominance. I've noticed my more dominant cats do this display of rolling and cheek/head rubbing in front of the weaker ones, usually right before they charge at them.

:rolleyes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutered males can 'mate', or try any way, usually with inanimate objects. I think it is more a show of dominance. Smudge will definitely take care of any of this kind of foolishness, especially as she gets older. Females definitely dominate neutered males then. I wouldn't be surprised if you see Mikey try it on his brothers too. It's not something that happens all the time, his urge is just stronger. I wouldn't worry about it, just tell him NO and distract him with a toy or food. I think it will diminish in time, it has only been months since the neuter and it can take several months for the hormones to completely leave the body.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jetblack2004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the replies.

I live on a farm so the cats free range. They don't use a litter tray so i wouldn't know if his pee smelt any different.
I'm going to leave Mikey be. From what you're all saying it seems more like he's showing dominace.

Thanks!