Neutered male cat humping his favorite kitten

Calicoloco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
my 1 yo cat was neutered around 3 weeks ago, and after that he shows dominance by humping one specific kitten (female, unspayed). Ive read similiar threads and wanted to let his hormone to be more balanced, but he kept doing this again and again.

The kitten once mounted and bitten in the neck and tried to escape by twisting her body but ended up bleeding from bite wound.

My vet suggested to cage the male or put them into separate rooms, but the male cat got stressed and starts yelling (somehow sounds like a mating call) when they got separated.

Before he gets neutered, they were very close to each other but never saw him humping the female kitten before, she was his favourite, but now he is terrorizing the kitten.We have another unspayed female and other females on the loose but he only did it to one specific kitten.

any suggestion how to keep him calm and relaxed? some even suggested to use calming pheromone like feliway, would like to try it but not sure if its gonna work (and it cost ridiculously expensive here in indonesia compared to the original price in the US)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He will still be able to get her pregnant, if she's more than 5 months old and in heat. Male cats retain enough live sperm to father kittens for up to 30 days after neutering.

Really the best way to keep all the cats calm is have them all spayed and neutered. I have a large group of cats that live together quite peacefully now that they're all fixed. Getting all the girls spayed is a better idea than spending money on Feliway.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Agree with above! The girls being unspayed might always make him do that. But especially right now when his hormones havent left his body. It can take up to 8 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calicoloco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it.
I think we are going to separate them for good, till we can spay the kitten. she is 5 months old now. I would like to spay her as soon as possible but most vet here dont want to do the procedure until they reached at least 8-9 months old, so i must wait abit.

and for the male, this is also the first time i experience this. i have 5 neutered male but none of them got this issue before.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
In these cases it's OK to tell a little white lie and say a 6 month old kitten is really 8 months old. ;) As long as she weighs over a kilo it's fine to spay her under 8 months of age.