Neutered male cat does not like female cats and feeling is mutual.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since I've posted on here. A new, young male cat - TNR'd by a neighbor - has arrived at my house. I have three indoor cats - one a female - and two female "carport kitties" who have a nice shelter there. I also have one large male tuxedo cat who dines at least four times a week here. All of these cats have been spayed/neutered. None of them are young. They are senior to geriatric. I would like to bring the young male into my house as my fourth cat.

Dashiell, the new young male, is friendly and seems to be playful, but he does not like any of the female cats. He went after one of the larger carport kitties a couple of times and rolling, loud confrontation occurred with the female wetting herself and running off. She always returns a little later. In the house, my 13.5 year-old female practically stalks him and snarls. She's a known growler and hisser in general.

What do you think of his behavior? He was neutered a month ago, so I'm thinking maybe he still hasn't adjusted and he's still producing enough hormones that the females sense this. The males do not seem bothered. Oh, and Dashiell snorts when he sniffs and when he eats. He has a high-pitched meow as well. Dashiell.jpg Dashiell close-up.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So, you are saying this new male cat interacts and does OK with the older male cat? Big piece of the puzzle here.

I'd wait a while longer to see if anything changes about this younger male, especially if he does OK with the older male. Your biggest problem is that you apparently want to let some of these cats remain outside cats. But, I am not actually sure which ones.

So, I am confused as to who will be 'inside' cats at this point. Another big piece of the puzzle. Are you intending for this younger male cat to become part of your (inside) household, and if so with whom, or what???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for both of the responses. For clarity, I care regularly for seven cats at the moment. - three are inside ones (two males and a female) and four are outside. Of the latter, two geriatric females live on my carport in a shelter (coming in to eat and when the weather is bad). They had been abandoned by a neighbor. I have a large tuxedo male I've fed and vetted for several years who comes and goes and is only outside. Dashiell is the young male, who has been with me for a little over a week and has a shelter of his own outside. He runs inside when the door opens.

I would like for Dashiell to become an inside cat and he wants to be one. He is unafraid and will sniff noses with the indoor male cats who, so far, have not reacted other than curiosity and a short hiss when he's come inside. It's the females - the one inside and the other two who are mostly outside - who have reacted so negatively toward Dashiell. They growl, snarl, and hiss at him. If they run from him, he will chase them and there was one fight. However, I have not heard a growl, hiss, or snarl, or seen threatening behavior from the young male toward any of the cats. He simply reacts to it.

Territorial aggression I understand and have dealt with in the past. This seemed a little out of the ordinary for it to be mainly between the young male and all the females but not the males.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females, in my opinion, are always growly and hissy. They hiss and swat at their own offspring often. They are the manners teachers, the limit setters. So all this sounds normal to me. If he only chases them as a reaction to their running, when they feel more confident about him they will quit running and the chasing will stop. It sounds like they are doing great for new introductions, it will all settle down in time. Hormones, by the way, don't fully leave a male cat's system for at least 60 days, so he could have some aggression related to that left in him.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob
I agree with your assessment of females, and these three are tortie and torbi with white, so they do have some attitude. The hormone thing was my first thought about this. It's been about a month since my neighbor TNR'd Dashiell. I have one FIV+ male cat in the house (I'm the one with the very long thread about FIV+ and FIV- cats living together) so I definitely do not want an all-out fight with him, but he's seemed the most receptive to the new cat, fortunately.

Another thing that is different is that these cats are not used to seeing Dashiell for a long time like they have been with each other and other cats who come around. There are so many strays, abandoned, and semi-ferals in my neighborhood. Some hang around and some don't. If they hang around for a while, I know they are staying for a reason and I either adopt them myself or find them a good home through family and friends or through our local no-kill shelters. (This is my last resort, however).

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For those who followed this topic or offered suggestions or advice: I still have Dashiell, although I did contact a reputable local no-kill rescue/shelter about finding him a good home. I'm fostering him until they have space. It's a bit more peaceful inside the house with him, but my indoor female is still unhappy with the situation when he ventures in for a while. The two males, however, tolerate him. Unfortunately, the outside females eventually ran off, only reappearing the past couple of days. In all fairness this was a combination of the new cat who is clearly in the very early adult stage and wanting to test boundaries and arrival of the roofers who were here for four days.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since I've posted on here. A new, young male cat - TNR'd by a neighbor - has arrived at my house. I have three indoor cats - one a female - and two female "carport kitties" who have a nice shelter there. I also have one large male tuxedo cat who dines at least four times a week here. All of these cats have been spayed/neutered. None of them are young. They are senior to geriatric. I would like to bring the young male into my house as my fourth cat.

Dashiell, the new young male, is friendly and seems to be playful, but he does not like any of the female cats. He went after one of the larger carport kitties a couple of times and rolling, loud confrontation occurred with the female wetting herself and running off. She always returns a little later. In the house, my 13.5 year-old female practically stalks him and snarls. She's a known growler and hisser in general.

What do you think of his behavior? He was neutered a month ago, so I'm thinking maybe he still hasn't adjusted and he's still producing enough hormones that the females sense this. The males do not seem bothered. Oh, and Dashiell snorts when he sniffs and when he eats. He has a high-pitched meow as well. View attachment 414873View attachment 414874
Many years ago I purchased a Spayed Maine Coon whom was 3yrs. Old. She entered my home to meet a 6yr. Old Neutered Maine Coon. From their very first interaction they hated each other. That remained until the Male passed away 6 yrs later.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
An update: My elderly carport kitty had to make an emergency visit to the vet yesterday with a large wound on her side. It turned out to be an abscess (ruptured by this point). As I said, she had been gone a couple of days, at least, during the roofing and there has been the issue with Dashiell and my carport kitties. While I can't say he was responsible, I'm pretty certain. The wound, according to the vet, could have been a week ago and I would not have known it since I barely saw her and she's most black with orange. I sure saw it yesterday with the fur gone and a quarter-sized bloody hole. . I'm desperately trying to find a home for him. He's a very sweet cat to me and the other males (so far) and kittenish, but the dislike of females is strong. The shelter that was going to take him can't for some time - I was told 3 months waiting list this time instead of "it won't be a long time." There are not many choices in the area where I live. I've posted to my FB page and begged for help from friends and family for a week, but no takers.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My indoor Torbie-with-white only bonded with one of my males. He died in October. She tolerates one male, and my other - the one she has known for 8 years - she does not like and he is not fond of her, but they have never injured each other.