Neutered Male cat behaves like non-neutered cat

bellaluna777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I have a silver Chinchilla Persian who is coming up on three years of age. Ever since he was 6 months old he has tried mating with at least one of our other cats, typical mounting and grabbing by the scruff of the neck. We had him neutered at 6 1/2 months but he is still doing it. He's a shy cat and definitely not the alpha cat so no spraying has happened. However, I am starting to wonder if they missed something like an undescended testical during his neuter as he tries mating and cries to mate every day now and he is pretty well fixated on doing this 3 to 4 times a day. He is too nervous for us to examine his wee wee to see if it is barbed. Thinking of maybe getting a blood hormone test done on him to see what's going on. I am wondering if anybody else out there has gone through this.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's a nervous cat this is likely him trying to establish dominance - it's not necessarily sexual. Can you try feliway diffusers to help calm both cats?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely get him checked by a vet - sometimes an undescended testicle can get missed. You need to be sure there isn't a physical cause for this behaviour before you can move forward.

As he's so nervous/anxious, you might find he benefits from a supplement like Composure too.

Good luck. I hope you can find a way to stop this behaviour soon :vibes:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, in this case there is really nothing to be said than what has been said.  It's either hormonal or dominance/territorial.  And you can't know which until the vet checks him.  Let us know, and we might be able to assist with some ideas if this is territorially induced, but there's no sense in getting into that till the vet verifies that the neutering was complete.

That said, it just occurred to me that it really isn't all that uncommon for neutered animals who have experienced mating before they were neutered to continue the mating activity.  Of course, there are no offspring, but the behavior can continue.