Neutered Male Aggression Issue - Redirected aggression problem

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 4 year-old neutered male cat Chaucer has a redirected aggression problem. It started with my spayed female cat I've had for three years, He would groom her and then attack her.  He would attack her if she was nearby when another cat was in the area too. She now hisses and growls, and flattens her ears much of the time he is near her.  This is not what happens with my other neutered male cat who joined our household a little over a year ago. He was a feral/semi-feral from the neighborhood I'd been feeding for a year before I brought him inside. The males don't get into it at all. The play, wrestle and chase each other. Chaucer is definitely the Alpha despite only weighing 8 pounds. My other male weighs over 13 and the female is overweight at 12 pounds. 

The problem I am having is that now Chaucer has redirected his aggression at my leg on two occasions. The first time was terrible attack to my upper thigh. 7 lacerations/bites, a huge bruise and hematoma. The latter place under the skin took two months or so to dissolve. I was on antibiotics for a week. The second time was a couple of weeks ago.. It was not much and he stopped before he hurt me, but he jumped my ankle.  Both times were my fault as I had cracked the door for him to visit with regular cats who come round to eat or visit.The sliding door was open on the width of a paw. They bat back and forth sometimes. The last cat is spayed and belongs to my neighbor. She is very well- known to him. I know I was dumb so please don't lecture me about this. I have learned my lesson. I just never dreamed he would do this to me and with a cat he has known and seen for 3.5 years at the door. He has never indicated he felt aggression toward her before. 

Feliway did not work properly. I may have had a defective one because the product did not disperse quickly at all - months- but I don't want to try it again. Any ideas on how to keep Chaucer calm and less likely to attack my female cat (or me)?

Last edited:

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"He would attack her if she was nearby when another cat was in the area too." 

More redirected aggression. You ask not to lecture you but I believe this may be the overall problem. Cats are territorial, he's feeling threatened by the cats in your yard and cannot get off his territory himself so he attacks your female cat and you.

I understand he's known this cat for some time but often we don't see the cues and aggression is a result of stress that has been building up and finally it just has to come out. 

I know it sounds harsh but I would try not allowing any cats in the yard and see if he calms down after a couple of months. . 

Re-directed  Aggression  in Cats

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is something I cannot do. My backyard is not completely fenced. Cats and other animals can walk freely through the grounds.  I do feed the neighbor's cats because they are neglected. I also have a couple of ferals I feed sometimes, but this has never been a real issue before. In fact, of my three indoor cats two were rescues from the neighborhood. He doesn't attack the neutered former feral male inside. Only the female. She has learned to stay away him and hisses and growls at him when he gets too close or rambunctious.. What surprised me was that he went after my leg.  I have had him since he was a kitten  - nearly 3.5 years and he never turned on me until then. He's social and friendly as a rule.  I fostered a kitten for several weeks and he loved playing with it, while the other two cats ignored it and hissed at it. 

Chaucer is the alpha cat and has always been high-strung, and has what I call the occasional "night terror." He tends to have bouts of colitis and urinary tract infections. He has had numerous tests and mental illness is the one the vet is leaning toward because Chaucer gets plenty of attention and enrichment. He likes to go for walks on his leash, sleeps on my bed and on my lap, gets love and attention, and plays by himself and with my other male cat.  All three cats are totally indoors, except for Chaucer's occasional rambles in the yard.    Anti-anxiety meds were suggested but pilling a cat is never fun, nor is it easy. .I've wondered if he is jealous of the bond that has developed between the other two cats who have similar backgrounds and personalities, particularly since he enjoyed the kitten so much. The other two cats do not have his level of energy. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a quick follow-up for anyone having a similar issue. I spoke with the vet yesterday and she wants him to have some blood work done  to check his thyroid, and he will be given a test to see if there is any testicular tissue before he is given some sort of topical anti-anxiety med. The vet told me this is not normal behavior for a neutered male and his reactions are more that of a feral in terms of territorial and sexual aggression. My neutered former feral male does not act like this at all.  I am an author and work from home. I cannot get my work done with him acting out like this. He gets lots of attention but the scratching (not clawing) on wood furniture is destructive behavior. This has been occurring for months now. I am hopeful that the tests will find something that is treatable. I love Chaucer. He has been with me since he was a kitten and was always active, but it is now like I'm living with a kitten, and an aggressive one at that, instead of a 4 year-old cat   I DO NOT believe in declawing so that is not an option. 

Last edited: