Neutered/fixed ,, But Why?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will reconsider. They live with me in the same room, I don't think I can tolerate all these things.
how much does it cost to spay or neuter them?
السلام عليكم

It depends upon your location. Despite your excellent English, your syntax is (just a guess, of course) Urdu or Arabic? if you're in one of Pakistan's population centers, spaying and neutering by a qualified veterinarian should be reasonably priced, and the Animal Care Association should be able to recommend a veterinarian.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always hear that people fix their pets, but I've never understood why.
I have a male and female kittens and I wanna see their kittens later, but that may be due to the lack of information. maybe I'll say If I knew then what I know now I'd not let them.

Is there anything I have to know about that?
Several reasons.

On the health side, unneutered cats (or cats who have ever been through a heat, for that matter) simply don't live as long. In nature, cats almost always die before the age of 7 from injuries, infections, etc. But in our homes, they can easily live to their late teens. Their reproductive organs are extremely prone to problems as they enter middle age, because they just aren't really made to last that long. Reproductive cancer, pyometra, and other potentially fatal problems are extremely common. But all of these problems can be mostly avoided by neutering, especially if you do it before their first heat. A female cat who has ANY heats is at higher risk of mammary cancer for the rest of her life, and pyometra after each of her births.

On the human side, living with unneutered cats is just insanely difficult. They will pee on everything, destroy your stuff, fight and injure each other, and they'll be absolutely miserable if you try to stop them from going outside. They're driven to roam and mate. And if you let them do that, they will probably come back with various diseases and infections.

On the environmental side, there just aren't homes for all these cats, and a lot of these kittens wind up in shelters or otherwise homeless, which of course isn't fair to them, and some of them will probably wind up being euthanized or on the street. Cats are also an invasive species in many parts of the world, and can have a devastating impact on local wildlife if left outside to fend for themselves (which some of them will be, because again, there just aren't enough homes). You can say "you're sure you'll find them homes" all you want, but the reality is that there is every possibility you won't, and even if you do, there are lots of people who like cute adorable kittens, and then dump them as soon as they become grown cats and they realize they have to actually take care of them. A lot of people just aren't willing to make the commitment to an animal who could live as long as 20 years, will require medical care, etc. That's why most cats in shelters are 1 to 2 years old.

Neutering cats makes them healthier, makes us saner, and protects both cats and other animals from totally preventable tragedy.

Are you really willing to risk sentencing your cat to getting a cancer you probably could have prevented, or being responsible for homeless cats being killed, just because you think kittens are cute? That simply isn't in the best interest of the cat, and their best interest should be your main concern as a pet owner.

I love kittens too, but Pia not dying of cancer of more important. Protecting my local environment, and preventing cats from being homeless or killed, is more important. We have to put our selfish wants aside when taking responsibility for another creature's life.

If I want to be around kittens, I can always just go down to the shelter, which is stuffed to the breaking point with kittens people "thought they could just find homes for," and get my fix that way.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In NY it costs $145 for a spay and $65 for a neuter. Think about it, if your cat has 4 kittens and you can't find homes for them, you will have to pay to spay and neuter those 4 kittens too. If you aren't able to get them all fixed before they are 5-6 months old, they will start interbreeding with each other. That's like 8-12 more cats. It's a never ending cycle. It will get out of hand fast.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adore kittens. However, I've had Charlie neutered, for several reasons-

1) there are too many kittens in shelters already
2) Charlie's genetic history is a complete unknown. I certainly wouldn't want any offspring of his to suffer because of my ignorance
3) I don't want to put up with tomcat behavior
4) I don't want him to suffer any disease that could've been easily prevented by neutering. I've made it so that he'll never develop testicular cancer. Can't have cancer in a body part you don't have

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Unwanted cats and kittens are a major problem in most areas, and unless you are breeding pedigreed cats, your kittens will be unwanted. And, if you are breeding pedigreed cats, that is a really major commitment (thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours), one that very few people want to make.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you For your advice, I reconsidered and I think I should spay/neuter my kittens.
I'm looking up for qualified veterinarians who can do that.

Nothing more important than my kids' health.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you For your advice, I reconsidered and I think I should spay/neuter my kittens.

May you be many times blessed for caring enough about your cats to do this, samyoz samyoz ! I am so grateful that you will do this. We do not know where you are, so cannot try to help regarding referral to good veterinarians and answering questions about cost, but if you truly love cats, and it sounds as if you do, you will not regret doing this for them. If you have a real need for kittens, I am sure there are kittens in your environment. And all kittens and cats are wonderful, not just pedigreed ones. My family, on both sides, have always rescued cats and we love all cats. *PRAYERS* for your being able to find a good vet and for your cats to be spayed/neutered and heal well and quickly. Again, thank you SO much.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Good for you for educating yourself and reconsidering!

The other point I want to flag is that cats can start having kittens as early as 4 months, but should not have a litter until at least a year.

You are risking her health if you allow her to live unaltered in one room with a male cat too. This isn't a sustainable situation at all. Breeders have to very carefully separate their cats and control mating times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really grateful that u saved me from watching my cats suffering, so you're the ones who should be thanked.

Good for you for educating yourself and reconsidering!

The other point I want to flag is that cats can start having kittens as early as 4 months, but should not have a litter until at least a year.

You are risking her health if you allow her to live unaltered in one room with a male cat too. This isn't a sustainable situation at all. Breeders have to very carefully separate their cats and control mating times.
he is 3 months now and about the room, I'm not sure I can move them anywhere outside their current room which is my room as well. I will make sure that will not happen.(they are in my pic Tiger -the male- on the right side and Lily -female-on the left)

one more question I just read that after I neuter the male his growing process will not be completed as it should so that the writer suggests I neuter him after 1 year, What u think? I think I should not wait till he is 6 months -max-.

RosesNoThorns

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem is that you will very soon have two cats capable of reproducing (but resulting in a very high-risk pregnancy) and you have no way to separate them. So bottom line regardless of what potential small side effects re: full adult size etc there *may* be you need to at the very least neuter the male ASAP. Preferably both.

It is not uncommon in some places for shelters etc to do pediatric spays/neuters as long as the kitten weighs enough---age is not a concern.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really grateful that u saved me from watching my cats suffering, so you're the ones who should be thanked.

he is 3 months now and about the room, I'm not sure I can move them anywhere outside their current room which is my room as well. I will make sure that will not happen.(they are in my pic Tiger -the male- on the right side and Lily -female-on the left)

one more question I just read that after I neuter the male his growing process will not be completed as it should so that the writer suggests I neuter him after 1 year, What u think? I think I should not wait till he is 6 months -max-.
Males continue to grow. That's a concern for large dogs more than cats.

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In NY it costs $145 for a spay and $65 for a neuter. Think about it, if your cat has 4 kittens and you can't find homes for them, you will have to pay to spay and neuter those 4 kittens too. If you aren't able to get them all fixed before they are 5-6 months old, they will start interbreeding with each other. That's like 8-12 more cats. It's a never ending cycle. It will get out of hand fast.
This. And, if the queen gets pregnant AGAIN before the babies are weened, and with the male cat around it will probably happen, you will have another 3 or 4 kittens to spay/neuter. That is a lot of money. In Spain it’s 85€ neuter and around double for spay. And if you sell them before having them spayed and neutered, you don’t know if they will have more kittens and what will happen to their offspring.

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you neuter him before he reaches puberty, he will continue to grow for a little longer and be a bit larger than he normally would but that’s all. It has something to do with cartilage I think but I am not sure, maybe someone has more info on that. I was having the same dilema recently and was explained that it is better for a pet to be spayed/neutered BEFORE they reach puberty, for both behavioural AND health issues. If you neuter your male after he has matured, he will not be able to reproduce but the alpha male behaviour will remain. My male cat was neutered at 13 months and he still behaves as an adult male, except for the urge to mate. But I have known people who had their males still “jump” the females after being neutered, and one friend’s male never stopped spraying even after the neuter. On the other hand, there are people with healthy old cats who were fixed as kittens. It doesn’t affect their health in the long run if you fix them early.

Oh, also, the male might get aggressive with kittens, if you have to keep them all in your room, he might get territorial and kill them (also happened to a friend). The best option for so many reasons is that you fix them as soon as possible.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They are both so beautiful/handsome! You have done a very good job of raising them so far. In fact, it is not true that cats of either gender stop growing after spay/neuter. My beloved Nicolas was neutered young and he weighed 22 pounds in his prime. Every one of my cats -- and there have been many! -- has always been spayed/neutered, and most of them have been/are of regular to large size. Size depends on genetics and on diet, not spay/neuter. In US, the current practice is to spay/neuter when a kitten reaches 2 pounds in weight or above. If not that young, most experts definitely agree that they should be spayed or neutered by 4 months of age. If you live in a hot climate, cats mature more quickly and a female cat can get pregnant at 4 months of age. Seriously. So you want to make sure they don't mate!!!

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 mentioned, early spaying does not stop cats from growing. In fact, several studies have found evidence that early spayed/neutered animals usually grow much more than those that are not. This is because growth is controlled by sexual organs/glands, and when they are removed, the hormones produced by those glands have to be produced by other organs. There is a "delay" in production of these hormones, which causes kittens to grow for slightly longer.
This is why a good diet is so important, because you want to make sure that your kittens are getting enough calcium and proteins to build solid esqueleton and muscles.

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always hear that people fix their pets, but I've never understood why.
I have a male and female kittens and I wanna see their kittens later, but that may be due to the lack of information. maybe I'll say If I knew then what I know now I'd not let them.

Is there anything I have to know about that?
I understand you want to see someday your cat babies, yes I read the thread and there is some good advice. I will share my opinion going straight to what I trully believe is the best approach and get the best of both words.

Want your cat to have babies? then go for it and do it RIGHT NOW, then have your cat FIXED. I was against fixing the cats due to ignorance but I learned, the thing is, fixing your cat:
  • Helps their health
  • Helps their adaptation to living indoors or at least "home"
  • Allows better behavior
  • Eliminates the risk of reproduction and bringing kittens to the world that you won't take care of
  • There are more than enough kittens needing a home that we can all adopt instead of letting one cat reproduce
  • Things can change... and having your cat fixed can extend the amount of options when moving out, future adoption, etc.
But the most important thing... Your cat if properly taken care of is lovely, yes, but when adult you kinda face a lottery, the personality might change. Some face pee all over the place or aggressive behavoir, wanting to go outside or making a mess being unable to go outside. Yes some cats are the opposite and adapt pretty well to living with you with no sideffects like the ones mentioned in this paragraph, but that's it, you kinda face a lottery.

So, if things go bad you fix it, right? wrong. The behavior (change) has hormonal origins, but that doesn't mean you cut the hormons and those things will go away (yes and no). Some things come due to hormonal change but if you let it sit it will become a learned behavior/impulse, something that you can't assure will go away after fixing your cat.

I love cats (and many other animals too) and I don't think fixing them is the "best solution", I kinda feel bad putting myself in their sho... paws but then I remember how cruel this world is particular with cats and remind myself that they will have a better life (and despite your efforts you can't save them all) and things come back to normal, no guilt, just solutions. The best advice is not letting the cat reach adulthood before fixing it. If no other option is available then fix the cat as quick as possible, but when it comes to adult cats who are used to having their balls and their impulses... then it all comes down to specific behavior and temperament, with little to do in your hands.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
people here will ALWAYS tell you to fix your cats because it is best in their location.
they do not understand your situation any more that they understand mine.
i can personally use an extra half dozen barn cats, n can find homes for hundreds more, so i won't fix my feral cat.
just research the subject n know what you are getting into before you decide.
my vet bills will be low because i won't use small animal vets. horse docs charge much less.