Neutered cat suddenly showing sexual behaviors?

nakedkittylover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, my cat is a pervert and I don't know what to do about it - I must admit I'm almost embarrassed to call my vet and ask her if this could be a sign of a medical problem or if I just have a nasty kitty HAHAHA, Osiris is just acting really strange for about the last 2 weeks now. The last 3-4 days I've noticed him "making muffins" on blankets and acting a little strange while he was doing it, didn't figure it out right away, but saw him doing it and looked a little closer - His penis was sticking out like he was trying to mate with the blanket! Then I saw him trying to mount my IG puppy, Sara last night? I may joke that Sara's more Sphynx then IG, but that was taking the joke a little to far HAHAHA NASTY CAT! When I think about it I realize he's done it to my leg as well a couple times and it just never clicked until now what he was doing. But on a more serious note, what could be causing this sudden sexual behavior? Osiris has been neutered for a couple years at least now (not sure exactly when he was neutered - He was neutered when I rescued him and had been for a while, he's been with me a year and a half). Could the pooping outside the box be marking his territory and not actual accidents like I was assuming? Now I'm wondering if some of the pee spots I have to keep cleaning up may be partially him and not only Casper like I was assuming (Casper has been naughty since I got him about peeing on blankets and stuff - He had a nasty UTI that had been left untreated for a long time, and it's now become a habit, he's gotten better but usually if I find cat pee somewhere,I blame Casper!), which is always where I find the pee spots, but now I'm wondering.....). There are no intact cats in my house, I've had them all fixed. I may just be being a bit paranoid, but especially with him having been so sick just a few months ago that we never figured out why really, it always makes me uneasy when he starts acting different! Should I take him back to the vet, or just see if this behavior continues? He was just at the vet about 2 weeks ago and we ran basic blood work (he got really sick really fast about 3 months ago now and we just re-ran his full CBC/chem panel to make sure things where still ok). Nothing was abnormal on his last blood work but we weren't testing for anything specific.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nakedkittylover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should mention we also did a urinalysis (Normal, no crystals, PH and dilution normal, no bacteria or blood).

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several of us here have neutered cats who do this - my Wellington is one of them. Usually he only does it with his little playmate, Biscotte, but sometimes he mounts cushions, stuffed toys, or me on occasion. Nobody has ever been able to stop him and now I just accept it as part of him. It is not a dominance issue with him - indeed with Biscotte it often seems really affectionate. Wellington has health problems too - he is asthmatic and allergic to various things, and has has urinary episodes too, so I don't know if it is all connected.

berfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely get him checked out by a vet. Health problems (like adrenal tumors) can cause sexual behavior in neutered animals.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The original poster just had his/her cat at the vet two weeks ago for a full blood workup and urinalysis.

In looking up some links last night for some cat aggression-related questions, I saw a really informative article on this. I'll see if I can find it again (should have bookmarked it, sorry!). Bottom line - sometimes it's a dominance thing (with other cats), otherwise some kitties just do this. Of course it's responsible to check up health for any changes in behavior. But if he's got the medical OK... you may just have a humping kitty.

I'll go see if I can find that article.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nakedkittylover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone for the great help and advice! After talking to my vet about him she decided she wanted me to bring him back today and re-do his urinalysis just to be sure that something hadn't changed, low and behold, he's now got a UTI! So I'm sure that's what triggered that behavior, started him back on antibiotics and we'll re-run it again in 2 weeks when the antibiotics are gone and make sure. If he's showing this behavior after that point, then we'll know it's safe to treat it purely as a behavioral problem. Thank you to those who encouraged me to double check with the vet and make sure before I went ahead assuming it was a behavioral problem, my cat does have some kidney damage caused by an infection we didn't catch fast enough - So I'm always pretty cautious about stuff like that! I'd rather have it done and find out it's nothing then assume it's nothing and end up with a really sick cat again!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by NakedKittyLover

Thank you to those who encouraged me to double check with the vet and make sure before I went ahead assuming it was a behavioral problem, my cat does have some kidney damage caused by an infection we didn't catch fast enough - So I'm always pretty cautious about stuff like that! I'd rather have it done and find out it's nothing then assume it's nothing and end up with a really sick cat again!
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about the kidney damage, but I'm so glad you took him in.
I'm usually out there saying "better safe than sorry," but you just had him checked two weeks ago. Thank goodness you went ahead and got him in!

Hope it clears up quick - and that's all it was!