Neutered Cat Humping

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a twelve-ish year old neutered male cat and a five month old kitten. A handful of times over the years, I’ve seen him hump toys or blankets. This was never a concern, as I’ve heard of other cats doing the same thing, but tonight he distinctly tried to hump the kitten—more specifically, her flank. Not sure what to do about this?

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as it isn't hurting her, I wouldn't worry too much. I asked a similar question recently because my male randomly out of nowhere tried to figure out the mechanics of how to hump my female cat when they've been coexisting for quite a few months with no issues like that before. I've learned it's more of a dominance thing. He's just trying to show her who's boss, really.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? At that age, she may be coming into heat. I've seen neutered males react that way to young females in heat. Or it may just be a dominance thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? At that age, she may be coming into heat. I've seen neutered males react that way to young females in heat. Or it may just be a dominance thing.
She’s not spayed yet—the vet wants to wait until she’s six months, which will be in November.