Neuter Post-op Help!

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, new to this forum :)

My 5 month old kitten got neutered with SPCA yesterday. They put him in an e-collar which was highly recommended. He seemed so miserable in it and in speaking with other cat owners and reading online I found that maybe people don’t think an e-collar for a male cat is nessasary (?).

So tonight I decided to take the dreaded cone off him and he immediately started iching himself and cleaning around the site (side note; there was a ton of stained blood in his inner thigh, I would have thought they would have cleaned this up for him after surgery? Is this normal?).

He then started biting his scrotum pretty roughly while crying. I immediately put the e-collar back on him but now for the last few hours he’s been trying to bite and lick it (with no success) and rub it on random objects. I assume he’s in pain but I’m worried he may have done something else to it. The wound seems fine right now.

Should I take him to my regular vet or am I being paranoid?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes I would keep that e collar on him. Keep him somewhere with lots of soft items so he can't scratch his area very easily. If the incision looks questionable I would definitely have him looked at. Sometimes the low cost clinics do so many neuters in a short period of time that they don't always do a thorough clean up.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is he doing today? I also would keep the collar on him. If he is still acting bothered by the site i would also have him seen by the vet. Let us know how its going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He seemed better this morning before I left for work. The wound looks fine. He seems more bothered by the collar so I feel awful.

They recommend keeping the collar on for 7-10 days. Is this necessary? How long does it take to heal?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He seemed better this morning before I left for work. The wound looks fine. He seems more bothered by the collar so I feel awful.

They recommend keeping the collar on for 7-10 days. Is this necessary? How long does it take to heal?
I am glad he is better. Keep watch, if he seems to bother with it, or if there seems to be an infection he may need to go back in. They do normally get use to the collar. Since he has already went after it, i think i would keep it on the recommended 7 to 10 days. My little white girl cat had problems, she wore the cone for about 4 months, we were so happy to finally get it off :)

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is better. Keep watch, if he seems to bother with it, or if there seems to be an infection he may need to go back in. They do normally get use to the collar. Since he has already went after it, i think i would keep it on the recommended 7 to 10 days. My little white girl cat had problems, she wore the cone for about 4 months, we were so happy to finally get it off :)
WOW 4 months is a long time!!
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll keep it on. It's just so hard seeing him struggle. He LOVES to play and can't really play at all with it on.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a very long time, she had all kinds of complications from her spay. But she survived and is as healthy as can be now :)

My little girl got use to hers after a few days, then it didnt slow her down a bit. I wish it had, as her being such a busy body did not help her heal. so, if it is keeping him from running around a lot right now, thats most likely a good thing! He just wont think so :gaah:

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the e-collar came a little undone and I didn’t notice quickly enough - he was at it again!!

It looks red and i thought I saw a bit of blood....I’ve also noticed he smells really bad (a sour smell). I assume this isn’t normal???? Help!

I think I may have to take him to the vet. :(

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no that probably isn't normal, I would just take him in to be checked. Better safe then sorry! And do it before the weekend and the vets office may be closed.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to get a vet check today. Let us know how it goes!

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn’t get him to the vet today because of work. Thankfully my vet is open weekends.

He’s going crazy and constantly trying and trying to get down there. I took a look and it seems fine but it looks crusty and looks like there’s pee stains all around and on his fur. The strong sour smell is gone but now it just smells like urine.

So I don’t know if it’s the fact that he’s dirty down there or if it’s actually irritating him. And I’m scared to take the collar off to see because of what happened the first time!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wouldnt take the collar off. leave it on, and try to get him in to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully no problems. keep us updated.

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said it’s swollen and looks like an infection. He got antibiotics. Hopefully this heals quickly!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glad you got him in. Hopefully the antibiotics will fix him right up! keep us updated on his progress! Im guessing he is your avatar? Very pretty boy!