Neuter incision infection?? (Pictures included)

steph4j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

This is my first time posting here so hopefully I am doing this right. My 16 week old kitten just had his neuter surgery 4 days ago. I've been inspecting his neuter site everyday and today I noticed what seems like scabbing or pus around the incisions (see picture below). I looked really closely and it doesn't appear to me that the incisions have opened. He had a fair amount of swelling right after the surgery and that has still been progressively going down. He is also on antibiotics given by the vet when he had the surgery.

In terms of other behaviours he has been completely normal. He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort whatsoever (however I know cats are good at hiding this) and he is eating/drinking and using the litter box normally.

Just looking for any insight from others if this seems like it may be an infection or looks abnormal in any other way. Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should call your dvm with any concerns and bring him in for a look. Maybe you can send them a pic. I can’t tell from this pic. It does not look bad to me though. When a wound heals at some point in the healing stage it can get yellowish fluid ( serous fluid) or a yellow tone as the scab heals which is part of the healing process.

aleeming

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This doesn't look terrible but I would definitely keep an eye on it. My vet considers a quick look at a spay or neuter incision as part of the cost included in the surgery (like they don't usually charge to take the stitches out if there are any). So I would call the vet about this and see about sending a pic.

If it were me I would probably just watch it carefully but I've had a lot of experience with rescues and I have had a cat get an infection which was MRSA at the spay site. She had to be given oral and topical antibiotics, but it looked a lot more inflamed than this and was bothering her. I think this bears watching and possibly a vet visit (because a pic can't show us exactly how it looks to you) but I would not panic at this time.