Feedback Nested Quotes - Not Available?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I quoted someone, expecting my quote to include their quote, which is how my preferences were set. It did not include their quote, which was integral to my reply. So I tried to cancel my post.

On the old site, that was possible. On this site, it apparently is not. All I could do was delete what I already had and change it, in this case I changed it into a question about how to abort a post in progress.

Margret

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I quoted someone, expecting my quote to include their quote, which is how my preferences were set. It did not include their quote, which was integral to my reply. So I tried to cancel my post.

On the old site, that was possible. On this site, it apparently is not. All I could do was delete what I already had and change it, in this case I changed it into a question about how to abort a post in progress.

Margret
To quote you select the quote button for each post then click the "Insert Quote" button under the reply box you type in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To quote you select the quote button for each post then click the "Insert Quote" button under the reply box you type in.
Clicking on the quote button and then hitting Reply also works.

However, it still doesn't include the quote in the quote, which is what I'm after.

Margret

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually liked that the Purraise count was known only to Mods/Admins/etc and the person involved. The whole social media-driven 'Likes' and such seems like such a personality contest -- it was nicer to Purraise posts more for their content and message value, without other motivations. Now we might all fall into the "abyss" of Purraising for other reasons than content. lol. But that's just me! (I am not a member of Facebook or Twitter out of choice)
I agree. I also loved the little personal and private message other members left when I got purraise. It made me smile and feel like I was actually making a difference. Now it feels like Facebook almost which I absolutely hate.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Ah gotcha. I will look closer at my desktop later. I think there is a way to quote by highlighting too.
I tried highlighting on my iPad and it will only only me to highlight what you wrote. I'll also have to try from the desktop later.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried highlighting on my iPad and it will only only me to highlight what you wrote. I'll also have to try from the desktop later.
  1. I highlighted the entire message, including the quote.
  2. I clicked on Quote.
  3. I hit Reply.
This is what I got.

Highlighting gives you a chance to copy and paste. If it can be used in quote mode, I don't know how.

Margret

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If you look on my post above, if you highlight you have the option to quote. You still can't quote a quote though.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you look on my post above, if you highlight you have the option to quote. You still can't quote a quote though.
Okay. That was a screen shot, right?

I'm feeling like we should move this its own thread. I didn't mean to take over this one.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, this thread is labeled "resolved." I take it the resolution is that it's just not possible, get used to it?

Margret

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, that looks like Margret Margret said the sentence that I added, "Just practising quoting a section of a post, as I've not known how to do it until now. :crossfingers:"

So, I still don't know how to do it. :confused2: And I'm confused as to whether this is the correct thread to ask? Is this what you were alluding to, margret? If not, can someone direct me to the thread that explains how to do it, please?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
So, this thread is labeled "resolved." I take it the resolution is that it's just not possible, get used to it?

Margret
It's not supported right now. We'll see what happens down the road. :)

Hmm, that looks like Margret Margret said the sentence that I added, "Just practising quoting a section of a post, as I've not known how to do it until now. :crossfingers:"

So, I still don't know how to do it. :confused2: And I'm confused as to whether this is the correct thread to ask? Is this what you were alluding to, margret? If not, can someone direct me to the thread that explains how to do it, please?
You almost got it. :) Look up at your quote. You wrote your response inside the quote. Just make sure you write outside the quote and you should be fine. :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
The only workaround seems to be multi-quote, but it's not nearly as clear as nested quotes.
Okay, so here's the work-around. Do multi-quotes, cut the first one, then paste it into the second one.

I regret to report that multi-quote is buggy. I quoted messages in three other threads today, and when I went to do the multi-quote here it still had those messages in the queue; I had to remove them individually.

Margret