Neonate kittens continue to aspirate

Paolachu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I've fostered many kittens before and had never lost one. A week and a half ago I brought in four beautiful 7 day old babies from the shelter to foster (which had been fostered previously but by someone who didn't know what they were doing). The kittens were in rough shape and the fifth kitten had died before I got them. 4 days after bringing them home, one of the kittens who failed to put on any weight despite eating well started fading. I took them to the shelter vet and they told me nothing could be done, they seemed fine. He died the next morning after struggling for his life the whole night. Then two days ago, another one who hadn't put on any weight either died.

The only problem that I've noticed is that they seem to apirate A LOT! Its so stressful because I've never had kittens aspirate and definitely not like this. The formula comes out of their noses and it's a struggle because they are so hungry and keep crying/scratching me for food.
I was syringe feeding them but it became such a struggle because they stopped latching. They're drinking from the bottle now and the one who eats better will drink a bit, then stop swallowing and I see milk come out of her nose. The other one is such a nightmare to feed because she gets desperate for the bottle and will clamp down her jaw and I can't get the bottle in, when I finally do she sometimes suckles, but then she starts coughing up milk.

This usually happens every feeding and they're still doing well but I'm so worried about them. I turn them upside down immediately every time to help them cough it out. I do hear some gurgling noises but only for a short period and then it goes away.

I've looked into their mouths and there's no issue that I can see like a cleft palate.
With the two I have left, I'm really trying so hard to help them survive but they continue to aspirate and I'm worried about them.
I've taken them to the vet and they won't do much for them because they are so little. They say that
Has anyone had a litter of kittens similar to this?
What did you guys do to help them and what was the final outcome?
Should I be worried about this or is it normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like they are getting too much milk too fast. How big is the hole in the nipple? It may need to be smaller so they drink more slowly. Are you holding them on their tummies or upright to feed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paolachu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m using the miracle nipple, the smaller one. I’ve never had a problem with this nipple with my previous fosters so not sure why now :(
I hold them on their tummies and tilt the bottle up to feed them, I’m attaching a picture of how I fed them when they were on the syringe still.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much does each kitten weigh?

Check to see that the hole in the nipple is not too large, and return to using the syringe for now. See if that makes a difference.

Also, get clavamox in the house now in case they develop pneumonia in the middle of the night. Time would be of the essence if it occurs.

P Paolachu

Paolachu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!
Nakia the kitten in the picture weighs 157 grams, she was 112g when I got her. Okoye weighs 200g, she was 161g.
They’re eating better, but after they eat they make a weird noise that I’m concerned about. I’m holding them up after eating and it gets better after a few minutes. I have an appointment to go to the vet tomorrow morning hopefully they can give me some answers on what’s going on with this litter.

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sympathies to you as this is a very difficult situation and you are trying so hard. Mini miracle nipple is the best as you already know. Megaesophagus is a very real possibility, but you need a vet who is competent with neonate kittens. I would in this situation prepare for the worst but hope for the best, you may lose some more despite such great efforts. Best of luck.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a preemie who had that trouble (among others). I had to keep her head tilted down more so I kept my hand down (her neck stayed at a lower angle) and kept her whole body at a gentle downward slant. I used the mini-Miracle Nipple just as you are doing. Please keep us updated!

Paolachu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So yesterday the kittens were eating much better and no more regurgitating/aspirating milk!

I took them to my personal vet, and they couldn’t give me any answers because they are just so small. I took them to the shelter vet where I foster from and they didn’t say much either, just said to have some patience and not much else I can do until they’re at least 4 weeks. They wouldn’t tell me if they had megaesophagus, but that if I suspect they do to just wrap them in a blanket and keep them upright, which I have been doing.

I told the vets I’m worried because the smaller one hasn’t gained any weight in 5 days despite eating 7-15ml at each feeding. The same thing happened to the other two who passed away. Maybe they need a dewormer, but because their stools are a little soft they didn’t want to cause worse diarrhea to these already frail kittens. They only said to have patience with them, and hope for the best....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for this update. I think patience is the best advice at this point. If you can manage to get them over this hump and to four weeks old - which is about another 10 days - the kittens will hopefully have rounded the corner and be on their way to good health.

:vibes: I’m especially rooting for the small one for you! As long as this kitten is not losing weight it will hopefully make it. Let it eat as much as it wants. How often are you feeding?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear things are going better! I have had fading kittens pull through - the karo on the gums, electrolyte support and even vitamin K & L-lysine and probiotics seem to have made the difference.
Also, sometimes adding colostrum. Plus, I keep powdered goat milk on had as well as pet vitamins. It is very individualized according to each litter/colony's challenges so the "feral cat" vet in your area is often the best option. I am very blessed to have a vet who grew up on Pacific NW ranches whose use of traditional medicine often parallels that of my father's people; my biggest success with a preemie so far was helped considerably by using vitamin K, red raspberry leaf tea & lemon balm with a little marshmallow root/slippery elm. That plus the mental encouragement of closeness & stroking without OVER-handling keeps tinies encouraged; lying on a warm human chest or lap without excessive cuddling can perk up a tiny's spirits. Keep reminding yourself that cats are said to have 9 lives; each experience, no matter the outcome, serves future kitten rescues. Here are a couple of my favorite links:
Guide to Raising Underage Kittens - University of Wisconsin Madison Shelter Medicine Program