Neonatal Kitten

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I was hoping to get some how much a 1 week old kitten should be drinking . The mom abandoned him, I found him in my backyard 5 days ago with his placenta still attached. I took him to the vet and was told to give him KMR, he seems ok , very vocal and seems energetic, but from what I've read he should be drinking at least 2ml per feeding every 2 hours, at best he'll drink half of that sometimes less. He's pooping and peeing pretty regular. Should I be concerned that his milk intake is about half of what it should be ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he is doing well. Intake is based on weight, which is best taken in grams at this stage. What is his weight? He should gain a minimum of 6-10 grams per day. Which KMR are you using?

Kitty_Oliver Kitty_Oliver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ! The I'm using the premade can , but I just sent the hubby to go buy the powder to see if it's a taste issue. He seems pretty strong ,he's sleeping a lot. I ordered a food scale today, I should have it by tomorrow. It was just worrying me because of everything on Google it made it seem like he wasn't eating enough. He actually just did another poop, which he's been doing once a day at least

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Powder is superior! Good you have a scale coming. That’s the key. Let us know how he’s doing on the powder and what his weight is when the scale comes. :)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You es, Sarthur2 is right. The premised KMR can spoil once it is opened. Wit the powdered, you mix as much as you need, then throw out then used portion.

Thanks for the rescue, and please kee
p us updated!

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got the powder, but he's still rejecting it. I feel like he's hungry because he suckles my finger while I'm holding him. But when I get the bottle in his mouth he'll suck a couple times then fall asleep or just move his face away. He seems to be more willing to eat at night time. Monday he's going to the vet just as a precaution. Thank you so much for your help . I will keep you posted

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
You es, Sarthur2 is right. The premised KMR can spoil once it is opened. Wit the powdered, you mix as much as you need, then throw out then used portion.

Thank you , I will keep you posted. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the days go. I have 2 other cats that I adopted but they were a few weeks old, not hours or days . I'm praying he makes it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can perhaps try every hour, if he manages so little at a time. Because the amount of now should be roughly 25 ml a day, your numbers are correct.
Every hour is lotsa work, but people had done this when necessary...

Goats milk is another alternative, and raw goats milk is even excellent...

You can also mix the powder with pedialyte (clear flavorless pedialyte for babies is best). Not that he needs pedialyte for now as he doesnt have any diarrhea, but it always gives some extra calories for free... Pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, its a good nourishment.

Also, you can mix in raw egg yolk, it gives more nutrients... That is, If you dont have any problems with salomonella in eggs in your area.

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
Great advice ! Thank you so much

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
You can perhaps try every hour, if he manages so little at a time. Because the amount of now should be roughly 25 ml a day, your numbers are correct.

You can also mix the powder with pedialyte (clear flavorless pedialyte for babies is best). Not that he needs pedialyte for now as he doesnt have any diarrhea, but it always gives some extra calories for free... Pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, its a good nourishment.

Also, you can mix in raw egg yolk, it gives more nutrients... That is, If you dont have any problems with salomonella in eggs in your area.

Would you recommend waking him to feed ?

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
Great news ! Baby Oliver drank 3ml this morning and drank a few bars throughout the night. I'm feeling hopeful. Let's see what the vet thinks tomorrow.

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. So my 7 day old kitten seems to have a sore bum, I noticed a bit ago when I wiped him after pooping that there was a hint of blood. I looked at his anus and it does look sore. Is there anything I can put on it like vaseline?? Or should I wait for him to see the vet tomorrow?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Sore bum. :alright:Poor baby and poor you! It’s always best to check with a vet first. It’s probably a little irritation from being wiped but you need to be positive. For right now be sure to use a very soft, damp cloth for wiping. The baby bums have very tender skin. Keep in mind that normally a Mom kitty tongue is doing the wiping so soft, kitty body temperature and damp. Of course staying wet all the time isn’t desirable either. I expect it is a simple matter but a vet can best advise. Please post back about the baby. We always want to hear about babies and how things are going. Very nice to meet you!

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
Nice to meet you too . I will definitely be back with an update. Poor little guy is definitely a fighter. I hope its something simple

Kitty_Oliver

Ms Olivia
Young Cat
Purraise
Powder is superior! Good you have a scale coming. That’s the key. Let us know how he’s doing on the powder and what his weight is when the scale comes. :)
Hi there just wanted to update on Oliver's weight, as of yesterday he weighs 2.4 oz, but since yesterday he's been drinking a lot more since I switched him to the powder so I'm hoping he'll catch up over the next couple days.He's seeing the vet later today so hopefully he's ok even though from what I've read he's under weight