Neomycin/polymyxin/dexamethasone Eye Drops

melaniewa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hallo, my kitty has an eyelid that is slightly turned inward and her eye waters from time to time. When I use the neomycin/polymyxin/dexamethasone drops it seems to clear up. My vet has recommended that I do not use these eye drops as they can have cause a bad reaction, and to consider surgery instead. She is 16 1/2 though, and I am hesitant to try surgery. Anyone else had a similar experience, or have thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The reason for the vet's concern is that if a cat is developing any ulceration on the eye, the dexamethasone which is a steroid will prevent the eye from healing. It is a good anti-inflammatory if her eye is just watering from inflammation, and also has two antibiotics to prevent infection. You can use the same kind of drops minus the dexamethasone if there is an ulcer or surface damage to the cornea. Usually vets will stain the eye with fluorescein dye (which is also soothing) to see if there is any damage to the cornea before prescribing the drops. I had a cat that had old scarring from a previous ulcer and the drops with the dexamethasone kept his eyes clear instead of cloudy.

As for the surgery, I would not recommend it for a cat who has minor problems with the eye, and certainly would never do surgery on a 16-year-old cat unless it was necessary to save her life.