Neko Flies

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have recently adopted a new cat and I’m trying to find a toy that’s strong enough to withstand my older cat to distract her and have her play while the new cat is around. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Neko Flies but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with them? My older cat Atari is a bit of a destroyer with toys so I need something that has a bit of durability to it for her. She loves toys on strings, especially ones with feathers, but she breaks them so fast she barely gets to play with them.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz initially liked the Neko flies but she's become somewhat spooked by toys with long strings.  Be very careful not to accidentally get the cat's back paws caught around the wire/string.

Ritz does like DaMouse; that DaMouse is indestructible--Ritz has bit down HARD on it many times.  DaBird is similar, and your cat may like it better because it has feathers.  Holds up pretty well, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that. I'll keep that in mind! We've got a few toys with feathers on them and no strings attached but she's not fond of them at all. She dosen't even really like the lazer much.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, Ritz doesn't like to play much either.

One 'toy' she does love is zebra or an ornamental grass, it's long.  I pull it slowly along the carpet and she pounces on it and then 'eats' it.  Zebra grass is edible, but I ration it because it causes her to throw up sometimes. 

wintermelon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the furry terminator one and the one that looks like a dragon fly, it's been well loved by one of my cats and holding up pretty well (for the price I would hope so lol). I sometimes forget to put it away and have it left out on the floor and it hasn't been destroyed yet. But I do try to put them away after playtime to prolong the toy's life.My other cat (who is the feather lover) didn't take to the neko flies though. I second DaBird, it has decent popularity and lasts a little bit. I found a big feather one on Etsy too (happy to link if you're interested).

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would actually very much like that winter. I was considering buying one myself from the link Ritz gave me.

And thanks again for the input Ritz, I'll see if I can get that grass because I've honestly never heard about it. x3

wintermelon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here you go - This is the big feather one. http://www.etsy.com/listing/116091272/durable-feather-cat-toy-feather-flier

The seller's own cat kept it intact for ~2 years but like all other toys playing really roughly would destruct it. I left mine out one night and a feather went missing lol. But overall the toy didn't fall apart and the feathers themselves did not fray like the ones on Da Bird does after a few chewing sessions.

This one was also well-loved by my cat who likes feather toys https://www.renspets.com/cat-teaser-fancy-feather.html

It's ostrich feathers apparently.

This is an alternative to Neko Flies (pretty similar) that was a hit with the cat who liked Neko Flies. http://www.etsy.com/listing/84162145/meow-match-frog-teaser-wand-cat-toy

Last edited:

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks a lot for all of that Winter xD The auction on one of those was over already but I saw another toy they made that looks like it should do the job. I've got more than enough stuff to choose from now so I'm very contented. I've also done some more looking around and found that the Neko Flies are pretty durable as well, so I'm probably going to pick up the cicada version because it has feathers.