Neka's annoyed with me...

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So tonight Neka is very much annoyed with me and is voicing her displeasure very vocally. It all started this morning when I went in to check on her and I check under the bed to make sure she hasn't left me a present under there, she never has in the past but I always check to make sure. Well today I saw two flat black things and I was like what in the world? Ended up those to flat black things were fairly long pieces of wool that she had chewed out from under my box spring. In the past she had clawed at the underside of the box spring and I just let her do it because she wasn't tearing through it and even if she did no one ever saw it. Well this morning I found the corner that she had been chewing at, I saw her teeth impressions very clearly. Well first off I was worried about her health because these were fairly long pieces of wool and with a barbed tongue she wouldn't have been able to spit it out if she tried to ingest parts of it. So right now I'm watching that she's eating (which she is), not vomiting (hasn't done that as of yet) and is passing stools (she hasn't done that yet either) but I'm not overly worried it was just a small amount that she could have chewed if she did and hopefully if she swallowed it - it will pass normally. Either way I'm watching her very closely over the next 4 to 5 days. 

Anyhow, because of that I wanted to find a way to keep her out from under my bed, because I know my cat and know she would go back to that spot to chew at it. So I got 2x4's at Home Depot cut down to size and had my uncle put carpet around them on the tops, bottoms, and sides that showed, then we made it into a rectangle and put it under the bed. Because of the tight fit she won't be able to move it I don't think. She had to be put in her carrier while this was happening and she was crying to be let out, then she heard the hammering and she was scared of that, and she doesn't really know my uncle (and my 5 year old cousin who was VERY loud) and so she was very anxious tonight... 

So of course when they left, I think she would have loved to go under the bed for a bit to get her barings, thing is the bed's now blocked off for the reasons I already stated. How do I help her find a new "safe" and "comfort" spot for her? She still has her cat tree and she can still hide under the dressers if need be but I feel bad that I took away 'her' spot. Although I fully stick to my decision, I don't want to worry about her ingesting that stuff and then either choking or having to have surgery. 

The carpet cost about 10 dollars, the cut down lumber cost about 5 dollars, my uncle did the work for free. 

Surgery would cost quite a chunk of change I'm sure...

Her life to me is priceless! I love her too much, and I'm sorry I took away her hiding spot and somehow disobeyed the "kitty code of conduct" but it's for the best... now if only to find her a new spot... 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So tonight Neka is very much annoyed with me and is voicing her displeasure very vocally. It all started this morning when I went in to check on her and I check under the bed to make sure she hasn't left me a present under there, she never has in the past but I always check to make sure.

It is funny you say that, I am always, so, afraid Loki will do something like that. But, he never has either.

Well today I saw two flat black things and I was like what in the world? Ended up those to flat black things were fairly long pieces of wool that she had chewed out from under my box spring.

Welcome to the world of hybrid cat ownership

In the past she had clawed at the underside of the box spring and I just let her do it because she wasn't tearing through it and even if she did no one ever saw it. Well this morning I found the corner that she had been chewing at, I saw her teeth impressions very clearly.

For what it is worth, my Savannah, did the same thing too.

Well first off I was worried about her health because these were fairly long pieces of wool and with a barbed tongue she wouldn't have been able to spit it out if she tried to ingest parts of it. So right now I'm watching that she's eating (which she is), not vomiting (hasn't done that as of yet) and is passing stools (she hasn't done that yet either) but I'm not overly worried it was just a small amount that she could have chewed if she did and hopefully if she swallowed it - it will pass normally. Either way I'm watching her very closely over the next 4 to 5 days. 

My Savannah, only has a bowel movement, every twenty four hours. I am not sure how often she does, but, I would try not to worry yet. At least from what you described above.

Anyhow, because of that I wanted to find a way to keep her out from under my bed, because I know my cat and know she would go back to that spot to chew at it. So I got 2x4's at Home Depot cut down to size and had my uncle put carpet around them on the tops, bottoms, and sides that showed, then we made it into a rectangle and put it under the bed. Because of the tight fit she won't be able to move it I don't think.

You might be surprised how strong your Savannah is
. I was very shocked how strong my boy was at first
. I would use some type of mesh/wire to keep him out from under your bed. If need be.

She had to be put in her carrier while this was happening and she was crying to be let out, then she heard the hammering and she was scared of that, and she doesn't really know my uncle (and my 5 year old cousin who was VERY loud) and so she was very anxious tonight... 

At least your cat knows when to be anxious, my Savannah has NO IDEA. He would just be so excited and moving the carrier
. He is a nut case.

So of course when they left, I think she would have loved to go under the bed for a bit to get her barings, thing is the bed's now blocked off for the reasons I already stated. How do I help her find a new "safe" and "comfort" spot for her?

You can't. She will need to "figure it out herself". Any type of "help" from you, will just make her more "upset". A.K.A. make her want the previous spot more.

She still has her cat tree and she can still hide under the dressers if need be but I feel bad that I took away 'her' spot. Although I fully stick to my decision, I don't want to worry about her ingesting that stuff and then either choking or having to have surgery. 

What she has left is just fine. I am glad you are sticking by your decision. Since, her having surgery from PICA is very likely.

The carpet cost about 10 dollars, the cut down lumber cost about 5 dollars, my uncle did the work for free. 

Surgery would cost quite a chunk of change I'm sure...

You are VERY VERY correct! You saved yourself, hundreds, possibly, thousands of dollars

Her life to me is priceless! I love her too much, and I'm sorry I took away her hiding spot and somehow disobeyed the "kitty code of conduct" but it's for the best... now if only to find her a new spot... 

She will find a new spot with time. I am sure
Please note, my responses are in red font.

Last edited: