neighbours feeding cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i found out the other day who the neighbour is of mine that keeps feeding my cats and one of the other cats who belongs to the lady next door to me. the thing is shes an 82 year old lady, i know shes lonely else she wouldnt be doing it but i dont want her feeding my cats, its not fair on me, or the other neighbours, and the other thing is her house, right behind it is the main road, which is where my Princess was killed ='[ i dont know how to tell her to stop feeding them because i do not want to lose any of my other girls, i wrote a letter explaining all this, is that a good idea? i think so, as it gets my point across.. but say she doesnt take notice? is there any other way of stopping her? like police? RSPCA? cats protection league?

i dont want to keep them in, its not fair on them, as they like the freedom. i just want her to stop feeding them, and inviting them into her home, as they are not her cats to do so with.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry...what I have to say, you will not like. She can't feed your cats if they are inside only or contained in your yard. Cats will eat where ever food is left out. She probably is trying to be kind to kitties that don't have homes by leaving food out, not being able to tell if they have a home or not. I think her heart is in the right place and she's trying to help what she perceives as kitties in need. I have ferals that I feed, if someone's outside cat comes to feed...how am I supposed to tell if it has a home? If it was an inside kitty, it would not be coming to my house to eat and risking the danger of traveling down the country road to my house. The letter idea may help, or talking to her might...but maybe not, she will probably put out food anyway for cats that she thinks 'need' it.
Sorry....I don't mean to offend. I'm an advocate of inside only kitties. I've had both over the years. I've lost far too many inside-outside kids long before their time. My oldest inside kitty is almost 16 yrs old now and he is happy and living out his senior years not having to deal with the dangers of the outside world.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax

and the other thing is her house, right behind it is the main road, which is where my Princess was killed ='[ i dont know how to tell her to stop feeding them because i do not want to lose any of my other girls,
Tania, I am so deeply sorry for your loss... My heart aches for you, and I know there is nothing I can say to make it better...

I feel however, that the only way to prevent this kind of danger to your other girls is to keep them inside...
I am so very sorry to say this... I know you are looking for support and a solution for your problem... But I can not think of the devastation it would be if you had to come back here again because you lost another one of your little girls.
It might be a very interesting world outside, but it is also a very dangerous one... It already hit home as so.
Outsides cats face so many risks... the busy roads, mean people, fights with other cats, eating poisoned rats or baits... The numbers don't lie... Outside cats live an average of 3-4 years, while their inside counterparts live in average 14-16 years...
You can make your girls very happy at home... You can give them lots of vertical space to run, jump at, window sills... You can play with them... And you can always take them out on a leash too...
Again Tania, I am so sorry for saying these things, but I feel I have to... I wish you all the best, and I am so sorry for your loss

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm afraid i agree with everyone else. The elderly couple next to my parents used to leave food out for cats, and because ours used to be outside they used to eat it as well, and this is one of the many reasons why my three are inside cats.

I doubt anyone from the RSPCA or The CP will do anything either, especially the police.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry you lost Princess

You don't have to keep them indoors all the time, enclosures don't have to be expensive - you can even build one yourself. Or take them out on a harness.

Once the cats are roaming free, you really can't stop anyone doing anything to them.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, my friend had this problem with her elderly neighbour and she did contact the RSPCA and yes they can do something, so I would have a word with her first and if no response contact the RSPCA. In england I think alot of cats are outdoor/indoor cats. Sorry for your loss of Princess. xx

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lSo sorry for your loss. If this lady would stop feeding your cats, it would likely deprive the ferals of food they need too.

My cats have an outside enclosure. They are so happy to sit there and watch the birds and chipmunks. Sometimes they even go out in the rain just to see what's up.

She can't feed your cats if they aren't there. Please do them a great kindness and keep them indoors. There are so many options nowadays to bring the outside in.

Google outdoor enclosures for cats. Tons of ideas.

Again, I am so sorry for Princess. You don't need to go through anything like that again. Even if she does stop feeding them, there is no guarantee they won't get in trouble out in the wild.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

I would have a word with her first and if no response contact the RSPCA.
And then it could backfire on her if she tells her to keep her cats inside?. I hear so many people moaning about cats using their gardens as a toilet, so the neighbour could easily turn it around.

It would be a long journey to keep them indoors after they've been so used to going out, but i would try my best to get them used to it, or, as it's been mentioned an outdoor enclosure.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

It would be a long journey to keep them indoors after they've been so used to going out, but i would try my best to get them used to it, or, as it's been mentioned an outdoor enclosure.
I and other have taken in strays or ferals that have spent months or even years outside. Sure a few still would like to go out, but they do adjust eventually and often with less fuss than imagined. I have one now that was a stray I started feeding outside, now as an indoor cat she doesn't even look at the doors.

Yet, another recommendation for an enclosure or cat proof-fencing your yard. Unless you know where your cats are you can't be responsible for them. And yes, cats love finding trouble - it's truly every cats middle name.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree with the others who said that if you keep them indoors, you won't have the problem. It's difficult to get cats used to being in the house once they've had a taste of being outside, but it can be done.

I'm sorry about your Princess.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too think the solution is to keep your cats inside, or build a cat fencing system to contain them in your yard. Cats do not need to roam "free" to be happy. I know you recently lost a kitty, (and am deeply sorry) and it surprises me that you are not willing to keep them more contained now.

And as someone else said, if she is feeding ferals and strays, they would starve if she stopped. So..since your cats are going to her property it is your responsibility to contain them, not hers to stop feeding them.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss of Princess. I have nothing else to add as I agree that you are taking a chance when you let cats roam free. The old woman is probably lonely and looks forward to visiting with the cats she feeds.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm sorry that you lost Princess, and I know this is repettitive, but keeping your cats inside is the best solution. They'll probably live longer and be much happier away from the outside dangers.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I and other have taken in strays or ferals that have spent months or even years outside. Sure a few still would like to go out, but they do adjust eventually and often with less fuss than imagined. I have one now that was a stray I started feeding outside, now as an indoor cat she doesn't even look at the doors.

Yet, another recommendation for an enclosure or cat proof-fencing your yard. Unless you know where your cats are you can't be responsible for them. And yes, cats love finding trouble - it's truly every cats middle name.
My Hope was a stray/semi-feral who lived her whole life outdoors... Today she is so happy inside you would never guess... She loves watching the world from the window sill, but when I open the door, she bolts INSIDE and not outside, as you would expect
. I think she knows now how much more comfortable and safer her life is!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If keeping your cats inside is not an option, I would talk very nicely to the neighbor (no notes or letters) and explain your reasons. I'd bring a catnip plant or some dried catnip and ask her to give this to your kitties instead of food, or ask her to give them fresh cold water when they come to her.
I've seen some cats with "do not feed me" on their collars; maybe something like that would also be a good idea.

I would focus on the fact that she is a neighbor who likes your kitties and is nice to them when they come around; not all neighbors are like that. Please don't call the authorities on someone who is being kind to your kitties - they are going to her after all.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She actually sounds like a lovely person and someone I might like to visit! Take a kitty along with you and let her share some love!

However, in the end, if you don't want others doing anything with your cats, you will have to keep them contained.

Good luck.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend's parents had 3 outdoor cats (they live in the middle of nowhere), suddenly one of them didn't come home anymore at all. First they thought that propably a wolf had gotten her as there had been some issues with a wolf attacking sheeps in the area. It came out that one of the neighbors were feeding the cat and ended up adopting her because they thought she was abandoned. The 'original' owners let them keep the kitty because the family had a little girl who was already very attatched to her. She is now an indoor cat and doing well.
If you let your cats go out unsupervised, there isn't much to do. Maybe lock the old lady inside her house so she can't feed the cats? (Just kidding..
)

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As an outdoor cat owner, I'm not going to preach about outdoor dangers.

However, I will tell you that there a few things we have to come to terms with. We can only control so much of their environment. If we aren't happy knowing that, we do have to make a choice about where they live outside or inside. My outdoor cat has one choice really, outside or death. Some may say outside means death, but non of us can predict tomorrow. I know that by allowing her to live outside with me, I at least prevent death for one more day. I have had to come to terms with the fact that my neighbors may feed her. But moving into this neighborhood, my neighbors knew I had an outdoor cat, we have no strays, and well they have outdoor/indoor cats. I think them knowing she has an owner changes things. I don't have any major issues, and if I did I would be open to talking to the neighbors first. Honestly Ginger is mostly content to stay in the yard, or back in the line of trees hunting mice or ground squirrels. She doesn't stray far. But I think communication can work wonders.

Good luck
Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks.. i knew i would get these responces, and as i might of said before keeping them indoors isnt an option, i tried this.. they wasnt very happy. i will however go and speak to my neighbour though as my cats are the only things that keep me going, i'm alot more lonely than my neighbour could ever be.. thanks though, i can see where your all coming from

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax

i'm alot more lonely than my neighbour could ever be..
You don't know that for sure. Maybe there's a really positive solution here that could help both of you? Does she have children or grandchildren that ever check in on her?

Status
Not open for further replies.