Neighbour complaint

JodieByram91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I'm just wanting a little bit of advice. My next door but one neighbour who for some reason doesnt like me very much, came banging on my door last night and started having a go at me saying that my male cat was rubbing himself up against her granddaughters legs yesterday and scratched her, I saw the scratch and it wasnt a big one but I apologised to her sincerely and said I was really sorry and that he might of been trying to play. She then said that everyone around my street dont like my cat and that her dogs dont like my cat either which is understandable because most dogs dont like cats anyway especially strange ones. I apologised to her again and said that unfortunately i cant control what he does when he is outside, he likes to be out so she said that if I dont keep him inside she is going to report me to the RSPCA! I told her my cat doesnt like to be stuck inside, she has a cat too that she let's out etc but she is wants me to keep mine in. Anyone have any advice on what I should do? My cat isnt viscous. If she contacted RSPCA what would they do? He is fed and loved etc would they do anything?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Firstly dont worry about the RSPCA. They wouldnt even come out unless your neighbour told them your cat is mistreated or starving. Then they would want to come and see the cat and check for themselves that he's in good health and has a loving home which he is. If your neighbour told them the truth, they would tell her to stop wasting their time (politely of course). Do you know your other neighbours, are you able to ask them if they are unhappy with your cat because I think this person is exaggerating. In your position, if she mentions again about reporting you I would tell her to go ahead. Also ask who the other neighbours are so that you could talk to them and tell her that if your cat comes into her garden again, to clap her hands and chase him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JodieByram91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, it upset me so much cause I'm a single mum of 2 children and she was speaking to me like utter crap (excuse my language) in front of them which isnt right. My cat is definitely well fed and he only goes out through the day because I keep him in on a night so I know he is safe but he likes to go out so I dont want to keep him shut it indoors all the time

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I guess you are in the UK, as you mentioned the RSPCA. In that case I don't think you need to worry about them as there are no laws prohibiting free roaming cats in the UK.

I would be a bit worried about a cat being outside generally, as there are all kinds of things that can happen out there. Dogs and cars and foxes and toxic substances like weed killer or antifreeze that could hurt him. I've also heard of cats being trapped by nasty neighbors and then either taken to a shelter as a stray or dumped miles from home.

Would your cat walk on a harness? I know it's not that common, but some people harness train their cats so they can be outside safely. Or if you have your own garden you can put up a cat proof fence, so he won't be able to go further than your garden, or make him a catio.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't there an RSPCA in Australia as well? :think:

Is building a catio on your property an option? That will allow your cat to be outside but in a safe confined space. There are catio ideas in these TCS threads:

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people just are not happy unless they have something to complain about. Having one as a neighbor is horrible. I would try and check on your cat by calling etc. periodically just to be sure that the neighbor leaves him alone while he is out.