Neighbors Feed Cat Salmon, Uti Symptoms

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh. Can fish cause UTIs? I don’t know if I should totally blame the neighbor?

A bit of back story. We brought in a friendly stray. Both myself and neighbor have been feeding him over the summer. He lives with me full time and since then adopted him, taken him to the vet numerous times, been spending a lot of money on him to get him on the road to recovery. He has IBD and food allergies. I politely asked them to stop feeding the food they have been giving him (Purina friskies) now due to his discovered medical condition. I made the mistake of telling them that I’ve been feeding him Tiki at wild salmon (I researched it, and they claim it’s low in phospheous, minerals, no bones, urinay safe; 80% water) he’s on 100% wet, so I haven’t been too worried about feeding it to him since he’s getting a ton of water *I also add extra* I figured it’s temporary anyway while I try to stabilize his tummy since it mostly agrees with him over anything else I’ve fed him. The vet and a few other people mentioned I shouldn’t worry too much about the food if he’s getting a lot of water. I felt compelled to let the neighbors know what I was feeding because they have also developed a bond to him, I figured if they really wanted to still feed him, they could that brand. Since then though, hes come home smelling very strongly of supermarket store bought fish/salmon a few times, licking his lips and grooming his chest the way he always does after a meal. It doesn’t at all smell like his Tiki Cat. Should I be concerned?

This week I’ve managed to catch him have muscle contractions while peeing. Straining? He’s never done that before, that I’ve seen. I called the vet and she said to keep an eye on him. So I’ve been trying. He is a formerly outdoor cat who likes to do most of his business outside, even though I sometimes go outside with him to watch, I don’t always get to watch or see because he sometimes takes off to where I can’t watch. I let him out still because he gets extremely stressed out if I keep him inside, and I don’t want that further exacerbate the possible uti by locking him inside. The warm weather is also coming to an end here, so soon enough he will start choosing to stay inside when it’s cold enough. Like today. Luckily, during the night if I give him a lot of water mixed in his wet food before bed, he will pee nice large amounts during the night or early morning. He has been letting me poke and prod for his bladder all the time, it doesn’t bother him and I don’t feel any hardness. Yesterday he was a little bit lethargic and needy and maybe a little more vocal, but he was in and out of the box in normal time and urinated large amount in the evening. I wasn’t able to see if he was straining because we have a covered litter box (since then removed the lid). He hasn’t been yowling. He hasn’t been scooting or licking his genitalia; no blood. I figured the needy sleepiness is because he’s depressed about the weather and is bored. *despite all the fun things I have for him here*

Today I haven’t been able to watch him though, as I had commitments to go do. My spouse said he went outside this early afternoon dispite it being chilly, probably to pee as he always does at this time, and came back 1-2 mins later. Tonight he seems his normal, and he still lets me feel and poke around him. I bought a feliway diffuser and spray hoping it helps relieve some stress if it’s stress related. *hes not too happy about the weather getting cold either* I wavier from being worried about it to not worrying about it, but I don’t want to ignore any warning signs either. Anyone familiar with UTIs that I should be really looking for? He is going to the vet on Wednesday for his weekly B12 shot *another stress in his life*

I am now transitioning him to RAWZ beef canned, and I think it’s agreeing with him, so he will be off the fish for awhile here soon. How can I explain this to my neighbor to get them to stop with the fish? I don’t know them really at all and I did tell them to stop feeding him already even though I told them his new food. I don’t want to accuse them or create tension. I know they are feeding him at all hours though. Once at 2 am he left and I went out calling for him because he was out long enough and he came running back to me from their yard licking his lips and cleaning his chest. All their lights were off. I guess they have food outside for him too.

Sorry for the long post. What should I do? I understand that letting him outside I can’t control what he does and what people do. I just really am mostly worried about them feeding fish. Or am I worrying unnecessarily about it?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are thoughts that fish can cause urinary problems with cats. But cats that never eat fish also get UTIs, so i dont know. I think if i had a cat with urinary issues i would try to limit the fish. But honestly i dont know if it matters or not, what does his vet say?

But as you say, if he goes outdoors you cannot control what he or other people do. You can explain the issue to them, maybe even take them some cans of food that is ok for him, so they still get to enjoy feeding him, but they feed what you want? Best of luck that you can get this worked out :goodluck:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it seems like your neighbors were understanding enough to stop the other food and switch to fish when you told them the first time. Maybe you could tell them that you had to switch his food again, because he may be allergic to fish and having urinary issues, and they will stop feeding him that as well. You could also add that you are monitoring his bathroom habits "as per the vets request" and are limiting his food varieties as best you can. I'm sure they will understand. Just approach them in a nonchalant way like...

"Oh hey! I was wondering if you are still feeding "Kitty". If you are, I just wanted to let you know that we had to change his food again. The poor guy is still having stomach and peeing problems, but I'm working with the vet and have him on a specific food regimen. So hopefully, things will get better, I just hope he's not eating too many mice or birds too!! Good thing winter's coming! LOL!"...

No blame, no accusations, but common sense and understanding from your neighbors would mean no more feeding on their end.

On a side note, as the cold weather comes in, will you use this opportunity to train him to be an indoor cat? Then in the spring you could build a small catio for him so he will no longer go to the neighbors (or anywhere else) but still enjoy the fresh air. He will be safer from cars, other people, other animals....and the list goes on.

Good luck!