Neighbor's dog barking-cat stressed

Kilgore.Emily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a new neighbor who never takes her dog outside, so every time a door opens, someone is talking or any noise occurs in the hallway of the apartment, the dog will bark. My almost 2 year old kitties have become very nervous and scatter every time the dog barks because it echoes outside the door. Anyone have any suggestions for the best calming things on the market to get them used to the sound? I would prefer something that will just calm them down but not something I will be dependent on forever.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is feliway spray which helps some cats. You could also put up some cloth in the area or sound dampening to see if you can reduce the sound. I've found when something makes the cats scared they look to me to see how to react. So if I react like nothing is wrong they will realize it isn't as bad to adjust.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time should help. the kitties will figure out the noisy dog isn't coming in their house. It will also help if you can remain calm and relaxed about the barking. Your cats will take their cues from you. If the barking pisses you off, the cats are more likely to perceive it as a threat than if you ignore it. Time will also mean the new dog will get used to his/her new space and all the new smells, which he/she is probably considering a threat because they are new. Once that happens he/she will calm down. The good thing is that when the neighbors have dogs you're less likely to be robbed without the work of having a dog.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try playing some cat calming music to make the barking less abrupt to them. I find my cats more likely to be reactive to sound if it's quiet in our home.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
So I have a new neighbor who never takes her dog outside
Being a dog person too I don't understand how your neighbor could never take her dog outside. Doesn't the dog have to go out to do it's business or get exercise? Have any of the other neighbors complained about the barking?

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Doesn't the dog have to go out to do it's business or get exercise?
I have an Aunt who does not want her dog outside because of dirt. Little purebred thing. She uses puppy pads by the door exclusively, which…..yeah. 🙄 She then complains about how insane this dog goes, running all over the house.

Like Kflowers said, it may reduce with time. My cat was not fond of the sound of dogs outside when a kitten, but completely ignores the sound of them now. I do use Jackson Galaxy’s Spirit Essence Stress Stopper. It helps her a bit during storms. I know some say you shouldn’t allow your cat to hid, but I let her go underneath a piece of furniture when she is scared. Wherever they have chosen as their safe space, put down a towel to catch their scent, and a couple of fabric toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kilgore.Emily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have considered Feliway plug-in, as I have used the spray for vet carriers, but I did not want it to become a permanent thing. Has anyone had success for it being temporary solution that is not long term? I do get pissed when the dog barks bc I see them scatter, so I will work on my emotions telling on me (we just worry for our kids!)

It breaks my heart for the dog that it never gets to go outside, so I hope as it adjusts, it will be happier. I will look into the cat calming music, especially for when I am at work.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try running a nice noisy box fan in a room where your cat likes to be. It works for fire works and construction..... it should work for a dog.

Maybe a mood stabilizer will be needed long term?