Neighbors Dog Attacked My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I witnessed my cat get mauled by a neighbor's pit bull. The dog came from 4 houses away and my cat (who was resting in my flower bed on my property) tried to run away as best he can, but he's 20 years old. He shook my cat and went after his stomach multiple times. Luckily my family was able to pull the dog off of the cat and my cat sustained only minor injuries. Unfortunately, this is the second time in a year my cat has been attacked by this dog and he was not so fortunate the first time. That time he had severe injuries-profuse bleeding and a permanent limp. The pit bull owner came over and actually cussed out my entire family while we waited for the cops. He said he'd love to see my cat killed and described it in gruesome terms. The owner actually turned it around to say that my family and cat were at fault and he and his dog are the victims. Not once has he ever apologized for his dog repeatedly trying to kill my cat, instead he calls my family awful names, threatens charges, and plays the victim. The cops weren't much help whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this matter? I'm afraid for not only my cats life, but others in the neighborhood as well.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat sleeping on my porch snatched off my porch just feet from me and ripped in half. I went from disliking dogs to hating them. Pit bulls need to be banned everywhere. Sadly your only defense is to keep your cat inside even on your own property since the right of dog owners to let their crap hounds roam is seldom questioned. Check your local laws it may be legal for you to shoot the dog if you feel threatened. I will never understand how anyone would want to keep one of these horrible dogs as a pet.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello @Bungee  

I'm so sorry to hear that your cat was attacked. I think the safest thing to do, as @Kittens Mom  said, is to keep your cat indoors or build an enclosure for her so she will be protected.

I'm shocked that the police didn't take any action. A dog running around loose is a disaster waiting to happen. It's only a matter of time before it attacks a child.

I suggest you keep a note of exactly what happens between you and your neighbour. Keep records of vets bills, police reports, times when you see the dog on your property etc. Is there anyway you could set up cameras to get evidence that the dog is coming into your yard?

I also suggest you check your local bylaws to find out exactly where you stand if this dog comes back.

I'm sorry, I'm not in the US so I don't know what the laws are. In the country I live any dog off the leash in a public area, except for designated dog parks, get the owner a hefty fine.

I hope your cat recovers quickly.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
B bungee

I am sorry this happened to your cat. It is truly awful [emoji]128557[/emoji] nobody should ever have to see something like that happen to their pet [emoji]128557[/emoji] I am glad he is okay. I would recommend keeping him inside from now on though, especially since he is elderly.

The man who owns the dog seems to be the unsavory and abusive type. It is likely why his dog is misbehaved/attacked (this does not excuse what the dog did, mind you).

I had a cat sleeping on my porch snatched off my porch just feet from me and ripped in half. I went from disliking dogs to hating them. Pit bulls need to be banned everywhere. Sadly your only defense is to keep your cat inside even on your own property since the right of dog owners to let their crap hounds roam is seldom questioned. Check your local laws it may be legal for you to shoot the dog if you feel threatened. I will never understand how anyone would want to keep one of these horrible dogs as a pet.
kittens mom kittens mom

So just because this dog happened to be a pitbull, all pittbulls are horrible and mean and awful? That seems a bit extreme to me. The BEST, well trained GOOD dog I have ever been around is a Pittbull. He is literally the sweetest and smartest dog I have ever met. He is also very nice to cats. His best buddy is a cat named Booboo and they cuddle together and groom each other.

It is all in the way they are trained/treated. If a dog is violent, it is the trainer/owner's fault 95% of the time! Sorry, I just don't think it's fair to blame an entire breed of dog because of some abusive jerks who aren't fit to own or train dogs (or any animals for that matter)!

It sucks that pittbulls have such a bad reputation every one of them that I have met have been nice, sweet, good dogs.

However, it does sound as if the dog that is mentioned in this post is likely abused and neglected. The owner may even be one of the one of the sick creeps who is part of a dog fighting ring and he may have trained/rewarded his dog for violent behavior (this is likely because he seemed glad that the dog attacked the cat, which is awful and despicable). So does that make every single pitbull a mean and violent dog? No. It does not. But unfortunately horrible, awful, abusive people who use them for dog fighting have given them a bad reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When did society decide to cater to dogs? We cannot go into stores without a dog trying to sniff nearby. We do not have a dog and we do not want a dog. We so not want a dog breathing on us out in public places. They are dirty animals that sniff everything in their path and we do not want to have contact with them. Is this to much to ask in a public place? We have indoor cats and are not able to sit in our own yard with a cat on our lap because the owners of these dogs let the leash out so far the dogs are on our porch. We would never hurt an animal but these owners are clueless. Our property is ours and we do not want dogs on it. Dogs seems to rule neighborhoods lately. Grown men carrying bags to pick up after their dogs but never do pick it up. Once the smell is there all the dogs want to go in the same area. We are really tired of this and yes there is a leash law but cops are to busy to respond. When did it become socially acceptable to take dogs to public places like they are children? We have friends who are allergic to dogs and feel the same way.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners. It goes for any type of dogs, not just pits.

With that said.. How's the kitty today  @Bungee  ? Find out anything else about laws against dogs off leash and attacking on YOUR property?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Bungee  I am so sorry to hear that you cat was injured. I hope he is going to be all right. I have to agree with the others that it would be best for him to be kept inside especially since the dog's owners do not care what he/she does. The next time your cat gets attacked, it might be fatal especially when you consider his age. That poor boy. 

That being said, breed specific laws (banning pit bulls or all bully breeds) are a waste of time. As others have said, there are no bad dogs but there are countless bad owners and these people are a prime example of that. What those laws do more than anything else is take loving family pets out of homes and get them put into shelters where they will likely be put down for NO GOOD REASON. 

Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs- in the right hands but that can be said for ANY breed. 

benny13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My two babies....a German shepherd and my kitten...best friends.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

cherrybun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I witnessed my cat get mauled by a neighbor's pit bull. The dog came from 4 houses away and my cat (who was resting in my flower bed on my property) tried to run away as best he can, but he's 20 years old. He shook my cat and went after his stomach multiple times. Luckily my family was able to pull the dog off of the cat and my cat sustained only minor injuries. Unfortunately, this is the second time in a year my cat has been attacked by this dog and he was not so fortunate the first time. That time he had severe injuries-profuse bleeding and a permanent limp. The pit bull owner came over and actually cussed out my entire family while we waited for the cops. He said he'd love to see my cat killed and described it in gruesome terms. The owner actually turned it around to say that my family and cat were at fault and he and his dog are the victims. Not once has he ever apologized for his dog repeatedly trying to kill my cat, instead he calls my family awful names, threatens charges, and plays the victim. The cops weren't much help whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this matter? I'm afraid for not only my cats life, but others in the neighborhood as well.
I am sorry for your poor cat. I feel awful because yesterday I was coming home from a dog walk with my dog, my friend and her dog. my dog had just seen an injured bird on the floor who she sniffed and just left it alone and carried on walking, she sensed that the bird could not fly and left it alone and carried on walking.

I was just a few doors from my house, passing my neighbours house to get there and a cat started hissing and scratching at her at at her from behind the wall in her front garden, the dog started barking at it and I pulled her back on the lead, but the cat just came from nowhere though the gap in the wall with her claws out and her mouth full on wide open and landed on my dogs face in a fierce attack. The dog then just flipped it in the air and opened her mouth catching the cat full on in her mouth, only the head was out at the side and started shaking it furiously it felt like such a long time but was only seconds it happened so fast it was so disturbing. The owner ran out of the house and prized my dogs mouth open to release the cat. I think it is to late there was so much blood, I was shaking so much I feel so bad. Lucky enough the owner seen the cat attack the dog through the window and said so, and someone else in the house said the cat attacks him all the time. It doesn't stop me feeling awful for the cat though it was heart-wrenching. My dog is full of bites and claw marks on her nose, the family rushed her to the vet. I am going to have to knock at the house today and don't really know what to say or do? do I offer to pay the vet bill? Do I need to take my dog the vet? because her nose is in quite a mess?

My dog has never shown any type of aggression before and even lets you take bones off her, also has previously lived with a cat when my mum had her, although the cat and dog never liked each other much, it had never attacked it or anything. I like cats and feel so bad for it, there is no way the cat would have survived. :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh no, how awful! I feel very sorry for you, of course it wasn't your fault.

:alright:

One of my cats got into a fight with a friend's dog once. We managed to to pull them apart right away, so neither of them was badly hurt. The dog's nose was covered in scratch marks though. I think all my cat had was a puncture wound in his paw.

If your dog has been bitten she will need antibiotics, cat bites get infected very quickly.

Maybe you could go back to the house with some flowers, just as a gesture of goodwill. Say you're sorry for what happened and ask how the cat is. I think that will mean a lot to the family.

I hope your dog will be OK.

cherrybun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no, how awful! I feel very sorry for you, of course it wasn't your fault.

:alright:

One of my cats got into a fight with a friend's dog once. We managed to to pull them apart right away, so neither of them was badly hurt. The dog's nose was covered in scratch marks though. I think all my cat had was a puncture wound in his paw.

If your dog has been bitten she will need antibiotics, cat bites get infected very quickly.

Maybe you could go back to the house with some flowers, just as a gesture of goodwill. Say you're sorry for what happened and ask how the cat is. I think that will mean a lot to the family.

I hope your dog will be OK.
Thanks, the flowers are a good idea, It must be horrible for them, there was a child playing out who witnessed what happened, it's just so awful all round. The dog has just been moping around since, she is not happy either what's happened.

cherrybun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor dog. Of course she knows she was involved in something terrible. It must have been very upsetting for her too.

:frown:
Hi, here is an update on the cat, I knocked at the house thinking the dog went to the vet! and the owner told me that the can ran away and hasn't came back yet, It ran to hide under a car, then ran off onto the field, he told me that he doesn't think the cat was bleeding because when he freed it from the dogs mouth he didn't see any blood and there is no trail of it where the cat went, only blood where the dog went, looks like it was just blood coming from the dogs nose! I really hope the cat comes back not hurt, the dog can handle the scratches and bites from a cat, she's a big girl. Will update if the cat comes back to it's owner, apparently it goes missing for days anyway.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you live in the U.S. there should be leash laws. In the county where I live, it is open range and leash laws for some reason don't apply. However, there are still rules for 'dogs at large'. I would check into the state laws. As far as I know, any animal (owned) that comes on to your property and causes harm, the owner of said animal is responsible. Even on open range, if a dog comes on to your property, we are told to shoot it. ( don't worry, I don't). If cattle break your fence, the owner has to pay for it.

Don't blame the Pit Bull. This is the owner's fault. I've owned two Pit Bulls and as long as they are in a loving home with proper training, they are wonderful, loving dogs. Any dog that lives in the environment of this idiot owner would have done the same.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
There should be laws that prevent roaming dogs. Dogs have to be contained to your property.

Pit bulls are not inherently bad, it's just that you have the racecar of al dog breeds being owned by the most irresponsible people on the planet. They are an undesired breed and therefore are practically given away, so any joe shmo can get one. It could have happened to any breed. It's not the pitbulls I hate, its the stupid a** people who own them.

BSL laws are some of the saddest things ever. I've seen documentaries of people sneaking their beloved pets out at night, wrapped in blankets into vans, and driving them away in secret to other cities just to save their lives. The dogs are shaking and scared and just begin to shut down because they've been ripped from their homes. They have to wrap them in blankets to try to calm them. People go around looking for them and if you dog even looks like a bully breed, they will take your dog and euthanize it. BSL laws have devastated people's lives. Children crying because their best friend was taken away and killed just because of a bias against bully breeds. I've seen videos of people just crying and crying because they had to sneak their dog away at night and say goodbye so it's life would be saved, and they would never see it again, but at least know that it wouldn't be killed.

My pets have been attacked too but I never blame the animal. It is the responsibility of the owner and the people who adopt them out.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog has never shown any type of aggression before and even lets you take bones off her, also has previously lived with a cat when my mum had her, although the cat and dog never liked each other much, it had never attacked it or anything. I like cats and feel so bad for it, there is no way the cat would have survived. :(
I feel incredibly sad for the cat and rather pissed off at the cat's owner(s). I feel your dog was right, as much as I love cats no animal should be expected to sit there and take it.

"someone else in the house said the cat attacks him all the time"

So they knew the cat was attacking dog(s) and still allowed it outside? That seems incredibly irresponsible to me. There are many reasons why my cats are indoor-only cats and one of them is I don't want them fighting with other cats. They can get a disease from other cats not to mention a trip to the vet. I sure as heck would not want them trying to fight dogs that are considerably larger than them.

I agree, no such thing as a bad pet, only bad owners.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, here is an update on the cat, I knocked at the house thinking the dog went to the vet! and the owner told me that the can ran away and hasn't came back yet, It ran to hide under a car, then ran off onto the field, he told me that he doesn't think the cat was bleeding because when he freed it from the dogs mouth he didn't see any blood and there is no trail of it where the cat went, only blood where the dog went, looks like it was just blood coming from the dogs nose! I really hope the cat comes back not hurt, the dog can handle the scratches and bites from a cat, she's a big girl. Will update if the cat comes back to it's owner, apparently it goes missing for days anyway.
I read this comment earlier and it made me very mad. Not at you but at the cat's owners.Now that I don't want to reply with a lot of bad words I will reply with a level head. If that was my cat I would have went under that car and I am 6'1", I would have caught it in the field, no joke I would have chased it down.

Not to make you feel worse, this is in know way your dogs fault. They do not know if that cat is OK there could be internal damage. Just like a person, you don't need to bleed to be hurt really bad.

Again only bad pet owners. Maybe I am crazy but these people that own the cat sound like they should not have pets.

I sure do hope the cat is ok and your dog just lightly replied to the aggression. God Bless you for caring for that cat I have a feeling it is more than the owners do.

Last edited:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your poor cat. I feel awful because yesterday I was coming home from a dog walk with my dog, my friend and her dog. my dog had just seen an injured bird on the floor who she sniffed and just left it alone and carried on walking, she sensed that the bird could not fly and left it alone and carried on walking.

I was just a few doors from my house, passing my neighbours house to get there and a cat started hissing and scratching at her at at her from behind the wall in her front garden, the dog started barking at it and I pulled her back on the lead, but the cat just came from nowhere though the gap in the wall with her claws out and her mouth full on wide open and landed on my dogs face in a fierce attack. The dog then just flipped it in the air and opened her mouth catching the cat full on in her mouth, only the head was out at the side and started shaking it furiously it felt like such a long time but was only seconds it happened so fast it was so disturbing. The owner ran out of the house and prized my dogs mouth open to release the cat. I think it is to late there was so much blood, I was shaking so much I feel so bad. Lucky enough the owner seen the cat attack the dog through the window and said so, and someone else in the house said the cat attacks him all the time. It doesn't stop me feeling awful for the cat though it was heart-wrenching. My dog is full of bites and claw marks on her nose, the family rushed her to the vet. I am going to have to knock at the house today and don't really know what to say or do? do I offer to pay the vet bill? Do I need to take my dog the vet? because her nose is in quite a mess?

In many places it would be required that the attacking animal be held in quarantine for a period of time to be be certain that it does not have rabies. That includes cats. Check with your county sanitarian or other such official since they monitor contagious disease spread. Rabies is a fatal disease. It can spread to any mammal. Aggressive animals are often held to be sure they don't have it. You can ask the owner if their cat had a current rabies shot. If not, report it. It could be very serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.