Neighbor's cat scares our new kitty - need some advice!

haddiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are first time cat-owners with a newly rehomed 6 year old cat, Haddie. She was rehomed because she was annoying the older cat and fights would break out between them. Now she's an only cat in our condo.

The neighbors have a young (less than 2 years old) outdoor cat (Bella, female). Haddie is an indoor cat. Bella has taken to coming into our patio and staring down Haddie. When we open the front door to leave, Bella will be lounging on our front door mat or hanging around on top of our fence-line. Bella has tried to come in through our front door on occasion and we have to shoo her away or scare her away. Bella is quite friendly with everyone in the condo complex (she flops over, enjoys being pet) and is friendly with the neighbor's dogs. But, I think Bella has taken a special interest in Haddie.

Bellla seems to want to interact because she comes into our patio and waits around trying to peer beyond the curtains to see Haddie. But there has been hissing, growling and lots of tail swooshing from the both of them. When it's hot, we open the sliding door, but Bella sits on the other side of the screen and paws at the screen, makes noises, and stares/waits.

I've attached a video of their most recent encounter. Bella is making a strange noise that I can't decipher.

Any advice on what we should do about Bella? It has been about a month, and Bella shows no signs of leaving us alone. Is it stressful for Haddie to have Bella lurking about? Is there a way they can become "friends"? What is Bella's motivation/what does she want from us/Haddie?

aislinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haddie is frightened. I would try to keep Bella away or prevent Haddie from seeing her. Continuing to see her will only cause stress in Haddie which can lead to behavioral problems down the road.

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to keep Haddie and Bella away from each other. Cats can be very territorial and I think that is what is going on here. By exposing Haddie to Bella she is getting stressed out. From the behavoir I see they don't want to be friends. I had two cats that did not get along and it looked and sounded just like the video. I had to rehome one of them because it never got better. Please try not to let Haddie see Bella. Keep the door and curtain closed and shoo Bella away when ever you see her lurking around the condo. I know it will be a pain to do so but it will be best for both cats not to even see each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haddiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! We'll definitely keep them away from each other. Closing the curtain seems to help somewhat :)