Neighbors Cat is a Bully and we are all fed up!!

maquis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbors cat has decided that my back yard is now his new home and my inside cats are having a fit.  Unfortunately, the owner of this cat gives the same general response as most people who do not want a cat inside their house "he scratches the door to go out, he cries and keeps me awake"  but let's put the shoe on the other foot here.  This cat now scratches at MY door and keeps ME awake.  The owner doesn't seem to care as I have spoken with her, helped get her cat into her house many times, but she continues to let him out.  Now this cat has become a major bully; he attacked my other neighbor's tiny cat in their yard and sent her neutered female to the vet with 16 stitches.  Did the owner of the cat offer to pay for the vet bills?  Of course not.  Did the the owner care at all that their cat is beating up others so they can sleep peacefully at night?  No, of course not.  Now, he has moved to the front of my house, a street away from where his owners live and is now attacking other cats in the other streets.

All of the neighbors have gotten together and approached the owner, who still claims " but he keeps me awake" I have to let him out.  Bull hockey!  They don't want the cat in the house at all, they have 4 dogs.

No one on these forums has said what needs to be said.  This cat is a bully and needs to be removed from the area if not put down.  His owner doesn't care and he is sick with kidney failure, dehydrated and matted fur.  they are not taking care of him and frankly, he would be better off dead.  I have mentioned to this owner that there are people on the other street that will take him to animal services in a heart beat if they catch him attacking their cat and frankly I will help.  The owners don't care, which tells me they just don't want to spend the time or money to put him down or surrender him to animal services.

Irresponsible cat owners are people that should not have pets.   If they bother them so much, then give them away, don't force them on your neighbors because you want to sleep!  I am sick and tired of being the nice guy, no more!  And yes he is neutered, that doesn't matter if they they are not neutered before 1 year old.  They still spray and are still aggressive after.  Trap and release would be released to another part of the county.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, maybe reverse what is going on. Maybe that owners not looking after the cat properly, like you say, and the cats aggression is based on fear/desperation. Cats often look for new territory when home there isnt working out. When I found my kitten in my backyard ther was another cat I was feeding. I actually don't think it liked my kitten but because I feed this cat it never harmed my kitten and sometimes played with it. Maybe a good feed and a drink once a day might curb its behaviour and, if it takes to it l, you have leverage to take away if it attacks your cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maquis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think taking on the responsibility for this cats behavior is mine to deal with nor should it be.  I don't force my cats on others and do the right thing by keeping them in.  Being asked to pay for someone else's cat to get it to behave right in a yard it does not belong in is not right nor fair to me.    The owners need to put the cat down or I will.  This has been going on for a year now.  can we say FED UP and NOT going to put up with it any more?

Feeding a cat does not help keep it away.   I talked to the owner about feeding him and she says she does and for me to not feed him, so I don't.   That does not prevent him from continuing to look for food in my yard. She also acknowledges that he is a real bully and mean to other cats!  *** and she still lets him out.   Now he's looking for food beyond my yard on another street.  He will be attacked by a dog or car and the owner does not give one S__T about it.  Why do I have to take care of someone's cat?  i am retired and on a fixed income.  I planned to have no cats in retirement so I could feed myself!!  My one cat is 22 and my second is 19.  I have had 20 cats in my lifetime inside my house (not all at once) so I have more than enough behavioral experience to know that this cat's days are numbered.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow ok, so I offer you an alternative to what you are doing and that happened!?!
No it's not your responsibility but like you said it's been a year and what your doing isn't working.
I'd offer further ideas but I think with your "20 years of behavioural experience" you got it covered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maquis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I'm just terribly frustrated and venting.  Didn't mean it to sound that bad.    I am in tears over here about what to do...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's time to contact the humane society. This cat is being neglected.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Might be an idea to call the police, sheriff or authorities and ask for advice. In Australia it's an offence to neglect or deny veterinary treatment might be in your area.