Neighbor's cat invading my house every night to fight with mine

ted4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont know who this cat belongs to, but it looks well fed.

It gets in my house every night through the window I leave open for my own cat. The problem is: the noises wake me up every night, and my cat started peeing inside the house to mark his territory (the smell is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE). I'm really really angry at the cat at this point, but at the same time, I dont wanna hurt it. The moment I get close to the invader, he runs away like a thunder.

I would like to hear ideas on how to deal with this.

My idea is to trap the invasor in the house by closing the window quickly when it gets inside, then try to trap the cat with a blanket and them put it in a wooden box and hose it with water to get it scared (whilst wearing thick clothing).

Is that gonna make him stop coming? Is that gonna be dangerous for me in any way?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
This... does not sound like a good idea.

Why don't you keep your cat inside at night, and leave the window closed?

Is your cat male/female? spayed/neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ted4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat is male, not spayed.

The window is left open because the litter box stays outside. If I leave my cat outside, it's gonna get hurt because the other cat is stronger (my cat already has fight wounds).

I cant bring the litter box inside because my mom is allergic.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I dont know who this cat belongs to, but it looks well fed.

It gets in my house every night through the window I leave open for my own cat. The problem is: the noises wake me up every night, and my cat started peeing inside the house to mark his territory (the smell is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE). I'm really really angry at the cat at this point, but at the same time, I dont wanna hurt it. The moment I get close to the invader, he runs away like a thunder.

I would like to hear ideas on how to deal with this.

My idea is to trap the invasor in the house by closing the window quickly when it gets inside, then try to trap the cat with a blanket and them put it in a wooden box and hose it with water to get it scared (whilst wearing thick clothing).

Is that gonna make him stop coming? Is that gonna be dangerous for me in any way?
First of all, I completely agree with @Furmonster Mom - what you suggest doing to the other cat is just plain cruel, not to mention dangerous and unwise.  Forget that plan. Your poor cat is having his territory invaded and is defending it, and that is why he's marking his territory.  If the smell is all that terrible, then perhaps he is not neutered, or else the other cat is spraying and he's not neutered -- or BOTH! Whole male cats develop a very strong skunky odor to their urine specifically for that function - marking.  Neutered cats may still spray to mark territory, but it only smells like urine, not skunk.

The only way to keep other cats (or raccoons or opossums or insects etc.) out of your house is to keep your window closed or put a screen on it.  While there are several good automated booby traps to discourage other cats from coming in your area, such as motion activated water sprinklers or sounds, they would also get your own cat UNLESS he was kept inside.  The only way I know to allow your cat to go in and out while preventing others from doing likewise is to install one of those magnetically controlled cat doors -- your cat wears a collar that acts like a key and allows the cat door to open for HIM, but no other cat can pass through the door unless he has a similar collar.

abylover1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
looks like you will need to step up with the precautions and protect your fur baby and not leaving him go out at night...

Is there a possibility of talking with the neighbours?

Have you thought of the possibility of putting the litter box in an enclosed furniture that way it won't interfere as much with your moms allergies? and installing a small air purifier next to it?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We had this exact problem. We exchanged our regular cat door with a SureFlap door. It reads a cat's microchip so no special collar is needed. Only the cats that are programmed in the flap can get in.

After awhile the neighbor cat figured out he couldn't get in our house ant more and he gave up and went away.

Last edited:

abylover1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow that's amazing! I did not know that technology like this existed, great find!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I was thrilled to discover them. It was the perfect solution for us, to allow our cats to go in and out during the day but not let other cats (or raccoons which we see occasionally) in.