Neighborhood Working Cat Caught Licking Bowl, With Some Kind Of Marinara Sauce In It. . . .

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What if anything can be done about the cats probable salt intake from that . . . ?

After I took it from him & he could not access it, I followed him to the fence. Over he went, and right up to the neighbor's barbecue, which has a few things laying next to it, including a fork that appears to have something on it. He was interested in the gravel under it, where I suspect some of the sauce got spilled earlier.

Their gate is locked, and no one is outside. . . .

The past month or two I've found this same cat chowing down on uncooked tortilla rounds; trying to eat a huge boiled corn cob the kernels had been cut off (I saw him bring that over the neighbor's fence); and not sure which cat brought paper towels covered in some kind of meat juices, much of which was missing of the towels. . . .

I hope the cat didn't get their meal, too!
But, maybe if he did, they'll learn to be more careful.

Ahhh . . . I just found what it looks like I need to read:

Salt Poisoning in Dogs & Cats:
Salt Poisoning in Dogs and Cats | Pet Poison Helpline

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it makes you feel any better, it would take a huge amount of salt to seriously harm a cat because their kidneys are more efficient than ours. I am not saying it is good for them, but they can handle more than a human.

You said that it is a "neighborhood working cat." I am guessing that it is a stray or feral, correct? Unfortunately, it will be nearly impossible to monitor what it eats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know if this cat belongs to anyone? Could it be a stray? If you know who it belongs to, you might want to express your concern about what he's eating in case they don't know about it. Perhaps, they aren't feeding him enough.

If you can't find anyone who claims this cat as theirs, you might want to look into rescue/no-kill shelters that might be willing to take him in.

The_littlest_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What if anything can be done about the cats probable salt intake from that . . . ?

After I took it from him & he could not access it, I followed him to the fence. Over he went, and right up to the neighbor's barbecue, which has a few things laying next to it, including a fork that appears to have something on it. He was interested in the gravel under it, where I suspect some of the sauce got spilled earlier.

Their gate is locked, and no one is outside. . . .

The past month or two I've found this same cat chowing down on uncooked tortilla rounds; trying to eat a huge boiled corn cob the kernels had been cut off (I saw him bring that over the neighbor's fence); and not sure which cat brought paper towels covered in some kind of meat juices, much of which was missing of the towels. . . .

I hope the cat didn't get their meal, too!
But, maybe if he did, they'll learn to be more careful.

Ahhh . . . I just found what it looks like I need to read:

Salt Poisoning in Dogs & Cats:
Salt Poisoning in Dogs and Cats | Pet Poison Helpline

When I was a kid we had a cat that would licked our bowls after we had pasta. He loved the sauce, (we wouldn't give it to him he'd just sort of sneak up and try to lick the remains out of the bowls.) He would do the same with tortilla chips if he could get to them. He'd just lick and lick them till we shooed him away. Healthwise he was always fine. If this cat is a stray he'd probably just took these things because he was hungry.

Cream Puff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I caught one of mine with her head in a bag of Garden of Eatin' Red Hot Blues blue corn tortilla chips. She was eating the crumbs in the bottom of the bag, which are always super salty and loaded with chili pepper. The same cat has stolen peanut butter sandwiches, an entire pizza, chocolate cake and stir fried tofu, and will stick her paws into any sort of drink containing vodka.