Neighbor upset about our cats fighting

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
13 is old but not decrepit. My friend's cat was 18 and still loved his outdoor time. The point is that the older cat is staying in his yard, and the younger cat is coming after him.

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I can't imagine a person even getting a cat without expecting to clean a litter pan. How did you come by this cat?

You are really being inconsiderate by not restricting your cat. I had a very old cat, and adopted a younger one while I had her, and it was awful. The younger cat tormented the older one. The poor thing could never have a moments peace, and he would have hurt her severely, had I not been around to manage things.

How can you expect someone who has had a cat for 13 years to stand by and allow your cat to torture it? Put yourself in their shoes. If it were me, your cat would be going to the pound with the hopes of getting a better home. Every time your cat would come into my yard, I would call the pound to come pick it up since you are not willing to do anything.
I think you are being really unfair to the OP, she is here asking what she can do about it, not saying that she won't do anything. She is perfectly within her rights not to restrict her cat if she doesn't want to. Cats fight, it's what they do. Its easier to restrict or supervise the victim, especially as its an old cat. Just because her cat is fighting with another does not say the owners not giving it a good home.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I have to wonder a bit about the neighbor. If I had a 13 year old cat that I was concerned about, I'd keep it inside. Doesn't some of the responsibility fall on that person as well? A neighbor cat can certainly create trouble for an older cat but that's nothing compared to a loose dog or a coyote. Seems like an "aggressor cat" would be a very helpful warning sign that it's time for a change in the older cat's living habits.
I agreed with this to a degree, but if the neighbor has enclosed yard, and his old cat enjoys going out and lying in the sun for a few hours, and not bothering anyone, should not he be permitted to do that? This cat is coming into the neighbors yard. So if that is the case, the responsibility is the aggressor's owner. I would be really ticked if I couldn't let my old cat outside in its own enclosed yard because of the neighbors harrassing cat. there would be authorities involved.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did suggest several things the OP could do. She shot down every one of them. She seems to think that she shouldn't have any responsiblity as to what her cat does or where it goes. That's the biggest problem here.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I agreed with this to a degree, but if the neighbor has enclosed yard, and his old cat enjoys going out and lying in the sun for a few hours, and not bothering anyone, should not he be permitted to do that? This cat is coming into the neighbors yard. So if that is the case, the responsibility is the aggressor's owner. I would be really ticked if I couldn't let my old cat outside in its own enclosed yard because of the neighbors harrassing cat. there would be authorities involved.
No you're right. But I was thinking that if I were the owner of the other cat I would just keep my cat in. (I keep my cats in anyway so perhaps I'm biased.) To me it would seem that if another animal of the same species were causing my cat such grief what would an actual predator be able to do like a bobcat for example. They can go everywhere a house cat can. Furthermore, if I did have an outside cat (I do and he needs a home if anyone in the South Eastern US is interested. He's fe-luk positive.) I'd have to recognize that outside animals sometimes get hurt and can't be protected the same way indoor animals can.

This particular post is an exceptional example though and I wonder why the OP bothered posting it as it doesn't seem that she's actually interested in trying anything that people have suggested. They've given her some great advice that she's immediatly shot down. Again, were I the other cat owner I'd just keep my cat in and know she was safe.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If YOUR cat is going into THEIR yard, then it is YOUR responsibility to keep you cat out of there, technically they could call animal control on you if they wanted. If their cat is going into your yard, then it is their responsibility to keep him/her out.