Neighbor Is Becoming A Growing Problem/threat.

dogperson2cats

Dog person but has cats for some reason
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK so we have no proof other than speculation, gut feelings and them hinting at it. But, over the last 17 years of living here, if our animals had collars nicer than dollar-store quality, they'd go missing, come back mildly injured without the collar. Suspected A-holes would then be selling said collars on FB and refuse to let us buy them back. (The cops say that that's not legitimate proof that they did anything wrong so they dismiss it.) The last collar was a red leather one, 15+ years old. It belonged to my dearly departed feral and was only on our stray for a couple hours before he went missing. He came back three days later; his paws had been spiked (like he stepped on a bed of nails) and the collar gone. No matter how much proof we showed the cops, they just dismissed us. (The cat is OK of course and has a neat reflective glow in the dark collar now. But, Puss' collar was obviously a memorial item. It was only used because animal control said either the stray has a collar or he's taken to be PTS as one of the feral population.)

The same people also gave my little tortie poisoned tuna which almost killed her but she fought and is now twice as fat and doing great. How do I know this? They TOLD US they (ILLEGALLY) put out poisoned tuna for the rats that nested under their porch. (IDK where you're from but here if you have that sort of thing set up, it HAS to be in a small animal trap so pets and larger animals aren't harmed.) We documented everything and again approached the cops; having way more evidence than before. Again, they said we were wasting their time and "the damn cat lived so no harm done/crime committed."

We can't have indoor cats because no matter what we do, they won't use the litter long-term nor will they use cat-trees or scratching posts. I will also mention that outside the stray being intact and following a female or my tortie following my brother and I around, my cats NEVER leave my yard unless chased or intentionally lead away. (Tuna fish, anyone?) So it's not like they're causing trouble. (As for the stray; we're getting him done but things keep needing replacing. Stove, washer/dryer, water tank to name a few. House is ancient.)

I guess this is more a rant but any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any way to build a cat enclosure? Using 2 x 4s and wire mesh (of whatever sort---chicken wire, farm fence, whatever) you can usually build one fairly affordably, especially if you can scrounge some of the materials.

I'd put a priority on getting the male neutered. Tomcats are annoying and maybe he'll stick closer to the house after he's done. Have you looked into any low-cost options in the area?

Dollar stores do have breakaway cat collars. If you have to keep a collar on your cat I'd just buy a bunch of those and write your phone number on them with a Sharpie. And, if you can, have the cats microchipped.

But, legally, if the animals are off your property, there's nothing you can do, unfortunately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents say enclosures are a waste of money. ("They're cats! You don't get them intending on blowing money on them like they're dogs!") The stray doesn't leave often. Only once or twice a month. (I usually find him when I'm on walks. He gets his belly rubbed and then goes home for food and sleep.) And the female never leaves unless she's forced or following us. (She's then brought home and put indoors.)

Yeah his collars are all breakaway now. And we'll get him done soon providing nothing else breaks.

The way it's set up, all our land is a huge connected plot of land. The fences have long since fallen and despite town officials marking my dads land, they tear down any fences we build.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Too bad your parents think a catio/cat enclosure is a waste of money. It would be the best solution all around, and would prevent anything else happening to your cats - be that from the neighbor's escalating behavior or any other threats that most outdoors cats inevitably encounter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Though I'd still rather that than indoor cats. Hehe actually the enclosure would keep the others safe from my tortie. She took an eye out of a couple of feral toms and an ear off another. (They attacked my senior feral. She didn't appreciate that.)

Other than that, she's really sweet. Doesn't like other cats but if they keep their distance, she's not going to strike first. (Though she loves the stray. She shares food with and bathes him.)