Neighbor Complaints, Just Venting

klp023

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

We have a lot of stray and feral cats in our neighborhood. When I first moved in a few of my neighbors were providing food, water and shelter and since it seemed to be acceptable in the area we started doing the same, happily. The cats are all nice and some are more social than others, none are aggressive. We've taken one in and found a home for others that were more socialized. However, we knew we they would get out of hand and took a TNR class, well along came the pandemic and we could not get them in anywhere around us. Fast forward to now and we have about 10 that come around regularly, and now it is kitten season. We took another TNR class so we could get the discounted spay/neuter fees and plan to start trapping as soon as possible.

My issue is that we got a complaining neighbor. They are complaining about them pooping in their yard. They put up a facebook post for anyone looking for free cats to bring a trap and she would buy the food. Some people are concerned with this approach as they have indoor/outdoor cats which are not feral and should not be trapped. Some of the feral cats are also momma cats and if they are taken the babies, wherever they are, will probably die and the momma will not relocate well knowing she has babies to take care of. Plus, if they start removing the cats more will just move in in their place. I've seen people on my cameras drop cats, kittens, and even stray dogs in the neighborhood. Then the fact that they are just going to anyone that will take them is breaking my heart, we have a problem with baiting around here. We are not far from a dog fighting city and baiting happens often. Not to mention snake feeding and other awful outcomes for these cats. Even relocation could decrease their chances of survival since they are not familiar with the dangers and resources in a new area. I'm not sure what to do. The neighbor has the right to do what they want with the cats in their yard but I'm so sad for the cats.

I understand the issue of cats pooping in the yard because I don't like it either, there are deterrents but they don't feel it is their responsibility to buy or have to use them. To me, it is just a part of sharing the world with animals. I do not complain about the people feeding birds that then fly in my yard and poop all over my car, sidewalk, and house. I do not complain about the dogs barking at me every time I go for a walk or the wonderful aroma of their poop blowing through the air. I realize that raccoons, rabbits, opossums, deer and other wildlife are going to venture into my yard and I welcome it because it's their home too. Why do people hate cats so much. It hurts my heart! With TNR'ing so many of the behaviors people have an issue with will be resolved or minimized (breeding, overpopulation, spraying, yowling, fighting) but I can't control where they poop. I l love my community and the last thing I want to do is upset my neighbors, but these cats did not ask for this life and I see no other option than TNR'ing and providing what I can to keep the cats comfortable. I feel so defeated! Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some people are concerned with this approach as they have indoor/outdoor cats which are not feral and should not be trapped.
Can you and the other people talk to her? or comment on her facebook post? Does she understand that she's basically sending them to bait yards? Can you/would you consider offering to clean her yard for her?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As I am reading this, it is one neighbor. Others must be sympathetic to the cats? If the neighbor "gives away" pet cats, that could be a legal issue for her, and could become animal cruelty depending on what happens. Do you think that people microchip or put collars on cats who are owned? Does she know that there could be legal consequences for her? Is it possible to get some neighbors to help deal with her and keep her calm about the presence of the cats by providing some alternative solutions? What about indoor/outdoor cat owners who don't want to lose their pet?

Where is AC on this? I realize that you may not want to involve them if it means they would round up all the cats and euthanize them. If you are doing TNR, you are contributing to a huge solution to the problem, which this person probably does not understand.

The FB post is pretty damning evidence and should rally people to do something to make peace with this person. Does she actually trap and give cats away to bait rings or is this a threat? Most people who threaten don't have the energy to actually do the work themselves, although the wrong people could certainly show up and do it for her.

I think you need some legal advice on this from some agency in your state. If the whole thing comes down to the pooping, you might try checking the link below.

stopping cats from pooping in yard - Google Search

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have much else to offer than what has been said above, but does this person get responses to her FB posts? Just curious.
I wonder - can you forward her FB posts to the local rescue groups that are also on FB and see if they would care to react/respond? Maybe it would go nowhere, or maybe someone within some of those groups would like to publicly say something to the person? Maybe it would discourage her - and her respondents, assuming she has any.

Odds are - I hope anyway - she is just a woefully unhappy, unsettled person and as said above has no interest in actually acting on her threats. She just likes to rattle the chains of those who actually care, and perhaps she thinks she can get you/others like you to take care of her perceived problem for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klp023

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you and the other people talk to her? or comment on her facebook post? Does she understand that she's basically sending them to bait yards? Can you/would you consider offering to clean her yard for her?
We have never met her but did reply to her FB post. One of the neighbors mentioned they had an indoor-outdoor cat and she basically said for people to not pm her regarding their missing pets, if they’re concerned to bring a trap. My husband tried explaining the entire TNR situation and it got heated. Someone else posted that there is a lot of baiting around here and that she shouldn’t just let them go to anyone especially for free. Others suggested TNR and asked where she planned for them to go once caught, in response, she turned off the comments and said to PM her if they would come trap and take. The moderator removed her post and she blamed my husband by saying thanks for getting my post removed. He did ask her to remove her post earlier in the day and said he was working on the situation and by her comments to others in the neighborhood it seemed like she didn’t care and he was only trying to to help all of the neighbors and cats.

Unfortunately, I think this is a lost cause since she is in her own yard and the cats are not owned.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, at least the post was taken down. Nextdoor .com is aware of baiting, I think and would have removed the post as well. I'm impressed that apparently FB is paying attention to such things too.

klp023

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I am reading this, it is one neighbor. Others must be sympathetic to the cats? If the neighbor "gives away" pet cats, that could be a legal issue for her, and could become animal cruelty depending on what happens. Do you think that people microchip or put collars on cats who are owned? Does she know that there could be legal consequences for her? Is it possible to get some neighbors to help deal with her and keep her calm about the presence of the cats by providing some alternative solutions? What about indoor/outdoor cat owners who don't want to lose their pet?

Where is AC on this? I realize that you may not want to involve them if it means they would round up all the cats and euthanize them. If you are doing TNR, you are contributing to a huge solution to the problem, which this person probably does not understand.

The FB post is pretty damning evidence and should rally people to do something to make peace with this person. Does she actually trap and give cats away to bait rings or is this a threat? Most people who threaten don't have the energy to actually do the work themselves, although the wrong people could certainly show up and do it for her.

I think you need some legal advice on this from some agency in your state. If the whole thing comes down to the pooping, you might try checking the link below.

stopping cats from pooping in yard - Google Search
Hi Fionasmom,

Yes, one neighbor, others enjoy the cats and help take care of them and some don’t say anything. I’ve been here 4 years and have never heard a complaint until now. My neighbor has been here since the 70’s and has never heard a complaint. She’s in her 80’s and loves the cats. They give her a lot of joy and interaction since her husband passed.

I’m not sure if people microchip but I would hope if they have in/out cats that they would, I do know one who strolls around with a collar, although if she lets someone take them as barn cats or whatever I’m not sure it would matter. The indoor-outdoor cat owners commented they have a cat that goes outside and she said if they’re concerned to bring a trap but not to pm her asking about their missing cats. I do not think she is interested in alternative solutions since my husband tried telling her TNR was best because removing them will only bring more and it will be a cycle so removing them doesn’t help. He said there were other options but she blocked him so he can’t really comment to her anymore.

AC will not do much, I’m not even sure they will take the cats and if they do they will probably euthanize as you said since they’re feral and our shelters are so full. She does not actually trap and intentionally give cats to bait rings, more so that she said whoever wants them can have them, it’s more my concern really. It is often on our news to not leave pets out unattended because people steal them off porches. Some bring their kids and act like their getting them a kitten when they’re just using them as bait. She does have traps but I think she is hoping people will come do the work for her. Unfortunately, I don’t know who pmd her but I do know there were negative comments about stray cats.

I know there isn’t really a solution since she is not willing to reason with anyone, but I just needed to vent to people that appreciate feral cats. I think all I can do is TNR the ones I can access and keep them comfortable so they don’t roam too far. Maybe once their fixed, they’ll stay closer to my house since 3 of us in a row provide food and shelter.

klp023

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, at least the post was taken down. Nextdoor .com is aware of baiting, I think and would have removed the post as well. I'm impressed that apparently FB is paying attention to such things too.
Yes exactly. It was posted to our township FB page and the moderator removed it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how things go, if you-all end up having to take further action, how the TNR goes - and let your husband know we think he, and you, are tops!

klp023

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Unfortunately, since it is her yard she is free to trap the unowned cats and "rehome them", even though we don't know where she is technically relocating them too and this is frowned upon, she isn't legally doing anything wrong. I guess with the exception of cats that are owned by someone but that is not anything I can do anything about, that is up to the owner. She does have a few trappers there so tonight at dinner time I told all the cats, especially the one she has her eye on, to stay away from that yard, they will not listen but I needed to say it.

A few of my neighbors have visited tonight and were upset as well but said they, along with us, will put out extras to try and keep the cats more this way. Another is putting out another litterbox.

We will still TNR and I will just have to focus on the ones I can help. When one does not show up for a while, I will just have to tell myself that I gave them a good life while I could and try not to think about where they may have ended up. I feel so guilty for teaching them that humans can be trusted, when in fact, some cannot and are very dangerous for the cats. I attached some pictures of my community babies!

Cats 1.jpg cats 2.jpg cats 3.jpg cats 4.jpg Cats 5.jpg