Needs Advice About Misc. Issues Inc. Litter, Meds, Etc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Compounding medication can be pricey. I had chew treats done by Wedgewood Pharmacy before. I think it was around $60 for a 30 day supply of omeprazole. Other medicines may cost more or less for chew treats. Strength of the medicine may have some factor in pricing.

Why don't you have your vet call the prescription in and inquire about the price for you? You don't have to fill the prescription of it's too expensive.
I spoke with the pharmacist and she agreed to give me lactulose that is tuna flavored. Maybe Pumpkin won't refuse it. That's the same flavor of Laxatone he uses.

If worse comes to worse, I will give him Miralax. I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a new article in the TCS library that may be helpful for you;
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat
Thank you for sharing this!

I wish it was as easy as they made it seem, but the first time I tried to give Pumpkin his lactulose with a syringe, he went ballistic. He probably thought I was giving him a shot.

Then I came up with the idea of putting it on his paws. He will oftentimes sit in bed.....front paws folded underneath him, smearing his medicine on blankets, the windowsill, furniture, etc.

He seems more reluctant to wash it off than before. His paws can look matted if I don't keep washing them. Sometimes it splatters on his chest.

This is such a battle. I don't want to stress him out but he needs his medicine. I want him to get better.

I tried pouring a dose on his treats - sometimes he'll pick at it, sometimes he won't. But when he does, he doesn't get an entire dose.

I tried putting it in his whipped cream too. A treat that I will allow every once in awhile. With the vet's approval, of course.

I just don't know what to do. Someone suggest those "Greenies" treats but they're meant for pills, not liquid medicine.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you had any luck finding litter that's less expensive for you?
Not really. The only place that is reasonable is the same one that sends his litter in mangled boxes. I'll just have to keep using them until I find a better alternative.

I think the reason prices are rising (for online orders anyway) is the cost of shipping.

I could try to potty train him but I don't think he'd like that too much! :lol:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A couple other ideas might be some raw egg yolk (egg white must always be cooked--some people cook the white and then make a slurry with the yolk), tuna juice (I apologize I don't remember if you tried that already) or maybe shredded cheddar? Or some plain unflavored yogurt...