needing opinions on male tri coloured tabby cat. rare or not?

that one

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello,
just wondering if anyone knows anything about tri coloured male tabby cats.. ive had both of my cats for 10 years now and always known that tri coloured male calicos are rare(er). im pretty sure my tri coloured male would be considered a tabby. i cant find anything on them so this is where i ended up. any and all opinions are welcome. PM me for a link to the pic. his name is That One and and the other one is This One (the grey little dude).
THANKS ALL!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen so many male cats that color.
He is not rare at all.
My Coco had 2 male calico kittens years ago also.
They are not as rare as you think and are not worth anything.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a Brown Tabby. A very beautiful brown tabby with white.

It is the Calico male cat that is rare, and frankly, every single time so far that someone has posted somewhere about a rare male calico kitten, it turned out to be female.

PS welcome to the forum!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I have seen so many male cats that color.
He is not rare at all.
My Coco had 2 male calico kittens years ago also.
They are not as rare as you think and are not worth anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

that one

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks so much guys! i had a hunch he was an 'everyday regular normal guy' hence the not confirming anything in 10 years! LOL. funny how its harder to find info on the regular ones rather than the out of norm ones lol. once again thanks! PS hes CRAZY SPECIAL to me anyways hahaha ;>)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's nicely marked, love his face pattern.

Looks to me like a brown tabby & white, not a tri-colour/tortie/calico.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by that one

thanks so much guys! i had a hunch he was an 'everyday regular normal guy' hence the not confirming anything in 10 years! LOL. funny how its harder to find info on the regular ones rather than the out of norm ones lol. once again thanks! PS hes CRAZY SPECIAL to me anyways hahaha ;>)
Oh well I certainly didn't mean he isn't special, I am quite sure he is a very special cat, they all are. He's very beautiful, he looks sleek and plush, and that mustache is very distinguished, I am sure he has quite a remarkable personality!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very handsome. Looks like a brown tabby with white, not a tricolor/tortie.
Although technically all tabbies with white have three colors so you could say they are tri-colored in that sense since they have the base color, the stripe color and the white; they are not considered a tortie/calico and that coloration (tabby with white) is not rare in males at all.

The rarity comes when you have a male tortoiseshell, meaning a cat with black patches and red patches (with or without white.) This is rare in males because the red and black colors are found on the X chromosome. Since male cats are XY they only inherit one X chromosome and so they are either red or black. Since females are XX they can inherit the gene for red from one X chromosome and the gene for black on the other. Since females have two X's, during development one X or the other are inactivated, which results in random patches of color (in areas where the X carrying black is inactivated, there are red patches; and vice-versa.) The reason you sometimes get tortie males is when some males are born with an extra X chromosome, or when two embryos fuse early in development which is called a chimera.

A cat can also be both tabby and tortie, that is called a torbie or patched tabby, which means they are both a tabby and a tortie-- they have tabby stripes but they also have red patches like a tortoiseshell. However your cat looks like a brown tabby, not a torbie. Torbie is rare in males as well for the same reason as above.

I can't tell for sure in the photo but does he have like a swirl or bullseye type pattern on his side? If so he would be considered a "classic tabby" (versus the "mackerel tabby" which have vertical stripes instead.)

Here is a link to a page with photos of all the different types of tabby patterns:

http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tabby/tabbies.htm

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

A cat can also be both tabby and tortie, that is called a torbie or patched tabby
Here, and I believe in Europe we use tortie tabby.

Torbie or patched tabby are not used at all.