Needing good vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had our follow up with the vet this week. She kind of freaked me out, stating she was concerned that he hadn't shown any improvement within one week. But from every medical article I've read, this is not an "easy" recovery and can take weeks to come back from.
We started Mirtazapine, renal K+ for potassium, Ursodiol, and switched to amoxicillin for antibiotic. I'm still trying to give him a chance - he seemed a little more interested in food and water yesterday, but is back to being sleepy today. Sometimes the jaundice looks better, sometimes it looks worse. He's still walking around, using the bathroom, and being a lovey dovey. I feel crazy, like I shouldn't be giving him a chance but that could be the vet's comment getting to me.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As you said, liver issues don't resolve so quickly :alright:. Did his values get worse? Or just not get better? YOU know him better than anyone...in your heart, how to you think he is doing? Since you say he is being a lovey dovey, that tells me he is still wanting to fight. Most cats withdraw when they are "done". This doesn't seem to be the case here. And being sleeping is normal when they are fighting off something, especially when they are 18. Plus the new meds could be causing him to not feel too great.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I feel crazy, like I shouldn't be giving him a chance but that could be the vet's comment getting to me.
I'm probably repeating the sentiments of mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens - It's been said over and over but I believe there's some truth in the saying you know him best. You are with him day in and day out, know his habits, his ups, his downs and what is normal for him. I assume there's no exact textbook amount of time he will or will not show improvement so don't get too upset by the vet's comment. As long as he wants to be with you and isn't giving up neither should you. All my best. :hugs:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always think too, that just like people, cats are individuals with how long they would want to battle and when they would want to rest. You know Casper best. He's staying close to you and not resisting his treatments so I think that to mean he's happy with continuing.
What a tidy and handsome guy he is!

My late cat Lily was the same. When she started resisting care we started looking at having her PTS. Nobel is not as bad off as Lily, but started avoiding us because of all the care. We stopped what care was safe to and he's enjoyed our company again (he wanted a vacation not treatment!).

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, all of you. This made me feel less crazy lol.

I forgot to add his liver values aren't better yet, but no worse.

And wouldn't you know, I came home from work today and he was enjoying sitting in the window catching rays, and he came to bug me for some turkey from my sandwich!!! ❤ He's still a little jaundice, but his mood is definitely improving. I'm staying the course, he seems to be moving forward slowly but surely.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

And wouldn't you know, I came home from work today and he was enjoying sitting in the window catching rays, and he came to bug me for some turkey from my sandwich!!! ❤ He's still a little jaundice, but his mood is definitely improving. I'm staying the course, he seems to be moving forward slowly but surely.
These little things sound very good to me :hugs:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you, all of you. This made me feel less crazy lol.

No worse and acting like he feels better would make me feel better. I'd definitely still monitor them, but the fact he's enjoying himself and asking for your lunch is great!
(PS: I hope he saved some turkey for you! :lol: 🦃 )

lesleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others here - you know your Casper, especially after such a long time together. A long time ago, my 11 year old Precious had diabetes. She felt bad, but still purred and was a lovebug. Until one day she didn't purr and I knew looking in her eyes that it was time to let go.

Casper is still enjoying life and he sure sounds like a fighter, keeping his spirits despite all the meds and health issues! Go Casper!

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update. Saturday he began to decline and pull away from us, and stopped eating on his own again. We got Casper's blood work back, and it's way worse than we expected. The vet indicated he is in full liver failure, and the odds that he would recover at 18 are extremely low. So we've made the difficult decision once again to let Casper cross the rainbow bridge to be with his two brothers tomorrow.

I don't know how to explain but I just feel so angry. I know he is older, and these things happen, but it's within one month of Nico's passing.

Please keep us in your thoughts tomorrow, this has been one especially rough month.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are facing this with Caspar. It is even more difficult with the recent passing of Nico last month. You have taken the utmost care of these two and have done as much as could be done which, of course, does not make any of this any easier. Please remember that we are here for you.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As difficult as it is you are thinking of Casper and what's best for him. That's the best gift of all since he will no longer suffer. :hugs: Please remember you went above and beyond to research what could help him and now he will be pain free at the Bridge beside his brothers. Thinking of you tomorrow and your precious Casper.:grouphug:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a quick update. Saturday he began to decline and pull away from us, and stopped eating on his own again. We got Casper's blood work back, and it's way worse than we expected. The vet indicated he is in full liver failure, and the odds that he would recover at 18 are extremely low. So we've made the difficult decision once again to let Casper cross the rainbow bridge to be with his two brothers tomorrow.

I don't know how to explain but I just feel so angry. I know he is older, and these things happen, but it's within one month of Nico's passing.

Please keep us in your thoughts tomorrow, this has been one especially rough month.
I am so sorry, this was not the news I was hoping for :(
It's OK to be angry. This has been an incredibly tough time for you, and you've done so much for him, and so soon after losing Nico. That's one of those stages of grief, and it's normal and there's no need to explain or justify it. It just "is".
I still love his bib photo. The fact that you hand fed this little cat in his last days with a little bib to keep him clean and comfortable is just so sweet to me.
I will certainly keep you and Casper in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. :hugs:

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
BellaBlue82 BellaBlue82 thinking of you this morning. 🙏
Thank you so much. I'm keeping him comfortable until it's time. It's so hard to not wrestle with myself, but every time I look at him he's just not happy. I'm letting him have whatever and do whatever he wants for now.❤

Status
Not open for further replies.