Needing Advice On My Elderly Lethargic Cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SusieSushi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
I am in a really hard situation. I took my 20 year old cat SnuggleBug to the vet the day before yesterday due to him not wanting to get up. He just suddenly did this out of the blue, he was walking the day before just fine.The vet took him in and did testing. She said everything was pretty normal besides him in the beginning stage of Kidney Disease and him being in an early stage of diabetes. She recommended subcutaneous fluids and some special food to control is sugar levels. My vet said he has a chance so I am trying my best. He moves his legs around and his head but he won't physically get up. He does eat and drink if I bring him his bowl. And he still goes to the restroom, but just goes haha. I guess what I wanted to ask is if anyone has been through this with their older cat. I just wanted to do everything I can before I decide to send him on the rainbow bridge. I have felt guilty. I want to have the hope he will at least be able to walk again. Even another couple of months would even be a blessing.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I do not have much experience with this. You may want to ask in the cat health forum. I hope you get more than a few more months of happiness with SnuggleBug.

ahunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first cat had Chronic Kidney Failure and a heart condition. I had a few months with her before I lost her. Some other owners have gotten years. If SnuggleBug is eating and drinking, and your vet says SnuggleBug has a chance, then I'd encourage you to give Snugglebug a few days to see if the treatment helps him become less lethargic.

The Cat Site does have some articles about diabetes. You might check them out:
Introduction To Feline Diabetes
A Feline Diabetes Story

As for kidney concerns, the most recognized site is: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease. The site includes a forum where you can ask questions of those who are experts in dealing with this issue.

Keep us updated! I'll be thinking of you and SnuggleBug.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is Snugglebug doing today. Has he gotten up and walked around at all since Tuesday? You said he can move his legs but doesn't walk. Can he move ALL his legs, or just his front legs? Are all his feet warm to the touch?

Honestly, early stage kidney disease and diabetes do not present this way, so I'm thinking that is not what's causing this issue. Yes, those two things can cause lethargy, but that's not what this sounds like. I think you need to take him to see another Vet for a more indepth exam.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think we need some more info. You said early stage of kidney disease and diabetes. What does his blood sugar look like? Do you have any idea how long he may have been diabetic for? Diabetes can cause weakness in the hind leg area, and when they do walk, they tend to walk low on the hind quarters. You can probably look up some youtube videos to compare diabetic cats walking. If he is having hind leg muscle weakness, he may not want to walk. Is he on any other medications that may cause lethargy? Was his red blood cells checked for anemia?

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I lost my 20 year old cat in January. My vet told me that almost all senior cats have some sort of kidney issue..whether it's the beginning of failure or whatever. But my cat had the same problem as yours....fine when I went to bed and could not wall the next morning. The ER vet said he thought it was probably a blood clot. Possibility of a stroke. Unfortunately, I did send her over the bridge, but I do not regret it. She lived a long, happy life and I would not allow her to suffer. I hope this helps and I hope your kitty is/gets better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SusieSushi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your advice and input. I had done all the tests on Snuggles and none of what was said was bothering him. I spent the whole week doing as my vet said with no progress on his part. I had him sent on the rainbow bridge this morning with all my love. He couldn't get up even with help from me and was peeing himself. I didn't want to force him to take more meds and not have him get up again. My heart is heavy, but I know he is in a better place now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SusieSushi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a picture of my sweet boy. I will miss the heck out of him. Senior cats are the best.

Attachments

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I definitely feel your pain. Your baby will be waiting for you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, but indeed, he is now in a much better place.

Run free at the bridge, :rbheart: Snuggles :rbheart:

ahunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. Hugs!

Sometimes there is no option. My third guinea pig woke up one morning unable to move her back legs. Our vet tried to save her; so did we. There just wasn't a solution and she was in pain.

Every time I lose a pet it hurts. They're our family and we hate to let them go.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear Snugglebug passed away. He had a wonderful long life with you, he was a very lucky cat in that respect.

I"ll lock this thread now.

When you feel ready you could start a thread in his memory in our Crossing The Bridge forum.

Crossing the Bridge

Rest in Peace Dear Snugglebug.

Status
Not open for further replies.