Need well tolerated meats Ritz is sick

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cindy, I'd like to strongly reiterate my previous suggestion that you forgo the frankenprey for now and fed Ritz a rotation of commercial raw foods. I think Ritz's little body could probably benefit from a break from all the changes, supplements and meds.

Once she's had at least a full month on a stable diet (write the rotation down and repeat the same pattern over and over) AND has not had any dietary-related issues, then you could start easing her over to a frankenprey diet again.

I would also like to gently suggest you research frankenprey diets until you understand the concept more completely (catcentric.org, rawfedcats.org, feline-nutrition.org). Although there are many folks who are happy to help, it's extremely important to understand what you're doing - and why you're doing it; not just the numbers from the 80/10/5/5 guideline, but what's behind those numbers and how they affect your cat.

Taking full control of your cat's diet is laudable and recommendable, but you can hurt her if you don't understand what you're doing... and some of your posts and questions indicate you don't have a full grasp of the frankenprey concept.

Not trying to be mean, just trying to ensure you get the best outcome possible.

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz is doing better.  Ritz hadn't pooped for several days so I took her back to the vet, the one she's seen several times before.  He felt stool in Ritz' colon, the stool was in segments as opposed to one long piece of feces, felt nothing unusual, rectal exam normal, anus looked fine.  He gave her an enema late in the day and I got to take her home and see how THAT works :)  It worked.... I was a little surprised she didn't poop more than she did.

Per AC's advice, she is back on commercial raw versus frankenprey.  Ritz has pooped almost every day, but I am concerned that the stools are still very small and hard.  I add some water to the CR. I believe there may be a problem with one of the foods from the same company-a disproportionate ratio of phosphorous to calcium.  Three of the five foods I fed in rotation are from this company.  I like this food because it contains no carbs.  But won't be buying it again.

She is still to me inordinately hungry; she is eating six ounces of CR.  Per the vet, I will weigh her in about a week and adjust accordingly.

I plan to transition Ritz back to frankenprey by the end of this month. I think it takes Ritz longer to eat the raw than the commercial raw, so she gets a better sense of satiety.

I also think the operative word is "transition"; she may have developed the problems in early October because I transitioned her too quickly from Fancy Feast to commercial raw to frankenprey.  (That, and I "deserted" her for five days when I went on vacation.) 

I stopped giving her the acidifier.  She is peeing fine.

PS:  still getting use to the new site, so didn't notice your response until just now.