Need Urgent Help With Inappropriate Scratching

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little background. My immediate family (mom, dad, and sister) don't love cats. Like, at all. Basically they tolerate them. And then there's me, of course, who didn't get the cat-hate memo and loves cats.
So a couple years back, my mom said that I could get a cat for myself because, and I quote, "I actually don't mind cats."
So here we are, with two new (probably by now) 5-month old kittens. Why two kittens? Because we saw them as a bonded pair in the rescue place and we all decided as a family that two cats are probably better, and kittens are probably more trainable and form a better bond with you.
But now my mom is starting to get really irritated with them and is threatening to either rehome them or make them outside-only cats. Here's why:
1. They cost a lot of money and aren't making anyone happy but me
2. They keep scratching up all our expensive carpets and mats
3. The one cat is very gassy
4. We can't just go away for a weekend without worrying about what to do with the cats
6. My mom wants them to go to the bathroom outside and it's difficult to get them to do that.
So, you see what I'm up against. My mom is saying it was selfish of me to get the cats and I just guilted her into saying yes... but I really didn't think that's how it was. I was casually reading cat books and not even pestering her about getting a cat when she told me I could have one. I don't know if it's just them being kittens that makes this situation worse or what.. I feel almost bad for getting them now but now I can't just let them go. I love them. But maybe it would be in their better interest to let them go? I hate that option so much though. But I feel like I'm practically losing my family over this and it's just so stressful.
So I thought maybe I can fix some issues. Foremost on the list is that we need a quick solution that will stop them from scratching the carpets, even when we're not there. I've tried picking them up and taking them to the cat tree, but that doesn't seem to work, so now I've started giving them a light smack whenever they do it, and my mom says we need to spray them with water and throw them outside when they scratch the carpet. I'm just not sure this will work when we're not around... I can't go much longer with them doing this. The carpet is starting to show signs of cat scratches. We've already had to remove several Persian doormats and carpets. I have a cardboard scratcher in my room that they use a lot too. And they're allowed outside so they can scratch anything there. The cat tree is located right next to the carpet but nope, they're more interested in the carpet.

We're starting the kitten on probiotics for the grassiness... I'm really hoping that works. We're also slowly moving the litter box toward the door and then outside, so that will hopefully work. We have a small litter box outside that the one kitten did actually use for the first time today, so that's good.

Anyway, if anyone has any solutions or ideas or anything, I'll be grateful. I really didn't think this would be a problem... so if you don't mind, please don't blame me. I'm getting enough of that already at home.

Munchkincath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, i can maybe help you about the scratching at the wrong places. I too adopted a kitten recently and was a little scares about that but everything went good. it's good that you have a cat tree, but sometimes it isn't enough, you need to place it somewhere logical for the cats. For example, we were scared for our couch, and the cat tree is literally right next to it, so our kitten never even though about the couch.

For the litter outside, it isnt impossible, my sister doesnt even have a litterbox for her cat, but he also does spend 75% of his time outside. I'm just a little bit worried that your kittens are maybe still too young to spend a lot of time outside by themselves.

5 months old is ok i think to go on a weekend trip, we sometimes leave our kitten alone for 24 hours and as long as she has enough water and food she is okay. Even better, you have two so they keep each other company.

Good luck with your family!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, but like I said, the cat tree is literally right next to the carpet so I don't know where else I'd put it. The cat tree is also next to the couches so they've never bothered the couches at all. I'm at a loss.
Oh okay, that's good to know. Still, for longer trips it can be a problem.
Thank you :)