Need to stop roaming cats in the country!!

photogirl843

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm almost at my wits end here. 

My youngest cat, Calvin (neutered, just over 1 year old) is spraying all over the house. I've had to toss out several things that have been ruined from it. I'm constantly cleaning behind him (yes, enzymatic cleaners) and have Feliway diffusers through the house. I'm currently trying Spirit Essences (Hyper Helper and Safe Space) to see if that does much good. 

But the root of my problem I think is that I live in the country and we have all manner of animals that roam in the yard. I know we have passing cats now and then because I either see them or have to break up a fight inside caused by the sight of one outdoors. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to discourage these roaming cats away from my yard?? I'd LOVE to build a fence but sadly the budget doesn't allow for that right now. Even then, I don't know how much good it would do... 

Any and all suggestions please send them over!!

The culprit 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

photogirl843

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adding pictures to give an idea of the size of my backyard. (Not sure why I can't find pictures that AREN'T of snow...) 

There is another large area on the other side of the house that I don't have pictures of.

Here is the layout of my land. The blue line is my property line. You can see how big the yard is! 

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
hmm.. try Motion activated sprinklers.. cat walk by, turns on sprinkler and bye bye cat.

Try StopCat: http://www.safepetproducts.com/cat-...cat-repellent-on-the-market.html#.WCoZe3eZOV4

it's a motion actived sound alarm.

Do you know where they hang out? if they frequent your flowerbeds and do business- make the beds unattractive.. chicken wire under the dirt would make it unpleasent to dig in

Apply cat repellent fragrances  liberally around the edges of the yard, the tops of fences, and on any favorite digging areas or plants- citrus type of smells- orange peels and chyenne peppers

Hopefully others will chime in with more ideas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

photogirl843

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant to warn you that I was posting pictures of the yard. It's a pretty large area, so sprinklers and things are going to be nearly impossible to put where I need them...

The citrus stuff might work, but I'd need a barrier around the whole property line I think. They're not really lingering that I can tell, they're just passing through.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
sprinklers range 50-100 bucks. maybe at least to keep them away from the house, far enough where they won't bother Calvin?