Need to Re-home

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After my oldest son was born, I started breaking out in hives. The never did find the cause, but for about 5 years, I took Zyrtec, Hydroxyzine (an older med, but it works MIRACLES!), and flonase on a daily basis. I slowly weaned off of them and now I don't take any allergy meds daily. I do take Claritin when I need something - maybe 10 times a year!

Have you been to a dermatologist for the skin testing? If not, I highly recommend doing so. They can help TONS with the symptoms. The Hydroxyzine saved my sanity.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its great to expose children to many different possible allergens, but as an adult its recommended you do your best to minimize your exposure to things that prove a health hazard to you.

If you're allergic to peanuts, try not to eat peanuts. Allergies can get worse with age, and can be onset at any time. Some cats for example can eat nothing but chicken as a primary protein source for years, and then suddenly develop an allergy and get loose stools and skin issues from it. Ignoring the issue in people can exasperate the problem and lead to other respiratory issues such as asthma. I'd double-check that the allergies are from the cats and not seasonal ones. Here in Texas at least the drought and unusually hot weather has actually created hyper-allergenic conditions, due to the thriving of certain species and their response to the stress, so people that are usually fine find their systems overwhelmed and itchy eyed, sneezing, and boogery... yuck!!!

However, if the allergies aren't severe, then I can recommend some great tips to improving the air quality in your home. I have extensively research air purifiers, and I believe the best affordable model right now is the Rabbit Air BIO GS 421a, which should be left on turbo speed when you are not in the room. You'd need at least one per room, two if its an unusually large combo-room, as they need to be able to cycle the air at least twice per hour. I also recommend the new 3M Black Filterettes available for $20 shipped each in packs of six online after $6 MIR: http://www.filtersfast.com/P-3M-Filt...Air-Filter.asp for your central air. Combined with regular vacuuming while wearing a dust mask, and wiping down the cats with a damp microfiber towel may be enough. Medications as suggested can be taken, but be aware of the long and short term side effects and how they may interact with other medications you are taking, in particular blood pressure meds if you have any.

If its really bad and just the cats, I understand completely. Rehoming will be difficult though, as at least around here the no-kill shelters are presently full with long wait periods. Definitely check with them all and explain that its not for any behavioral issue and just allergens, and try petfinder and adoptapet, hit up facebook, post notices at work and the like.

kaikrishna1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, I in no way judging you as we are all human and no one is without fault. But you might want to consider building an outdoor cattery attached if you own your home. I have seen some nice ones used for breeders, then you could get them leashes and get them out for walks. You could put them in a big crate in the house at night. If you have a garage you could convert it into a cat paradise, I am allergic to a lot of things and have gotten bad asthma so I am not supposed to have cats in my house. I would like to say that stops me, but I also have a really nice cat garage with two beds, a full and a twin, and lots of fun stuff to do.
If you feel it is compromising your health to the point where you need to get rid of them, I can give you some advice I use in rescue.

I post ads in Craigslist, and also the local paper. I usually advertise my cats as free because it attracts more people and you can put a free cat ad in the paper free, but you have to be careful. I also post at feed stores. I usually say this

"Free cats to good home, semi feral mouser. Enjoys climbing trees and really good hunter, a little shy but will let you pet him once he is comfortable with you. Beautiful markings, neutered, litter box trained, doesn't spray. This sweet and handsome boy would be great in a home that is looking for an independent mouser but would like a little interaction. Looking for good responsible home that has a steady income and can pay for vet bills, and is ready to take the responsibility for a cat. Homeowners or long time renters with landlord approval preferred for stability. Good pet history a must. Casual home inspection. If this sounds like you email or call for application and tell me a bit about yourself and what you are looking for in a cat."

So tell a lot about the cat, post at least two good pictures, and then be picky and be prepared to take a couple months to find a good home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaikrishna1111

Hey, I in no way judging you as we are all human and no one is without fault. But you might want to consider building an outdoor cattery attached if you own your home. I have seen some nice ones used for breeders, then you could get them leashes and get them out for walks. You could put them in a big crate in the house at night. If you have a garage you could convert it into a cat paradise, I am allergic to a lot of things and have gotten bad asthma so I am not supposed to have cats in my house. I would like to say that stops me, but I also have a really nice cat garage with two beds, a full and a twin, and lots of fun stuff to do.
Unfortunately, none of that is an option for me. I don't own my home, I rent. I don't even have much of a backyard and it is not even fenced in. They would not go in crates. They go crazy being in any kind of enclosed space (even a bedroom with the door closed). Also, don't have a garage.

Thanks for the advice with the ad though. I have an ad on petfinder and kijiji, its like craigslist. We have craigslist here, but nobody uses it. My friend has said she will ask around and see if she knows anyone who could take them.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaikrishna1111

If you feel it is compromising your health to the point where you need to get rid of them, I can give you some advice I use in rescue.

I post ads in Craigslist, and also the local paper. I usually advertise my cats as free because it attracts more people and you can put a free cat ad in the paper free, but you have to be careful. I also post at feed stores. I usually say this

"Free cats to good home...
Not flaming you, because you mean well, but I must take issue with this advice.

(And just a pet peeve here, but the words "get rid of" should never be used in the same sentence as the word "cat". "Rehome", "place", adopt out" are much more appropriate. We get rid of trash and inanimate objects, not living creatures.)

NEVER post a "free to good home" ad!!! Anyone working in animal welfare/rescue will tell you such ads are a nightmare. Animal dealers, hoarders, and those with cruel intentions are attracted to "free" ads like magnets. They look specifically for such ads, which unfortunately are too easily found. Craigslist is notorious for attracting unsavory people as well.

Do not think that you are such a good judge of character as to be able to distinguish an animal dealer from a loving adopter. Evil can masquerade in the form of a normal-looking person.

A few years ago, great-looking, professional ads started appearing in local papers. They were placed by a "rescue group", previously unknown in this area.

They offered to rehome cats & dogs, for a fee. They would even pick up your pet at your home. Women, sometimes with a child or two, would appear as potential adopters. Turns out the "adopters" were paid to pose as loving families looking for a pet. The cats & dogs turned over to the "rescue" were either sold to research labs (60 labs in NJ alone) or used as pitbull bait. After "working" our area, the ads disappeared and the 800 phone number was disconnected. They moved on to another place.

People couldn't believe that they'd been fooled into paying to have their pet be used for research or torn to shreds by pitbulls. The good news was that the "rescue" (led by a petite woman) was caught and prosecuted. The bad news was that none of the pets turned over were ever recovered.

If you resort to placing ads for your cats, you must request a fee of no less than $50. $75 is better. There is no other way to ensure the safety of your cats. Dealers will not want to pay because it will cut into their profit when selling the cat to a lab. Hoarders and those using the cat for sacrifice or some other horrendous cruelty will not pay because they know, sadly, there are plenty of people willing to give the cat to them for free.

You must ask to see a driver's license and copy the number and address. If they can't provide the number of a vet they currently or previously used, pass on them. If they can, call and confirm their track record of caring for their pets.

Bring your cats to their new home personally, and if something seems wrong, take your cats home. An unkempt home and/or lack of preparation for the new cat (no litter box, toys, dishes, etc.) are all warning signs and should be heeded. Trust your gut.

Call your local no-kill shelter and ask advice. Request a copy of their adoption form so you know what info to look for/questions to ask. Sometimes these are posted on the shelter's website.

Ultimately, catlover19, I hope you'll take the advice of the members who share your problem, and find the allergy med that works for you. Both you and your kitties will be much happier staying together!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you are going to resign yourself to never having cats again because of your allergies?I couldn't do that,I would find the right meds to suit me,it could take a while to get the right ones but you will.I could never give my babies up.x

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

NEVER post a "free to good home" ad!!! Anyone working in animal welfare/rescue will tell you such ads are a nightmare.
I agree, the best IMO is to say that say a verified $35 adoption donation to say Citizens for Animal Protection or other cat advocacy group is required for adoption. Or just mention that you're making the donation on their behalf, just to weed out the "free pet" people. You can't afford to be TOO picky these days, but anyone even remotely caring for a cat should know that $35 is nothing in the grand scheme of owning a pet, and give em some of their current kibble and favorite bed/blanket that has their scent on it and what not, and they get stuff for free that way and eases the transition.