Need to know if i am doing the right thing?

motherof4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I know I posted previously about maybe moving from CO to FL, but plans have changed.

I am now moving to AZ. I am trying to get away from an abuse household.

Thing is in AZ I would be sharing a 2bd apartment with someone who has 2 dogs. So that would mean that my cats would have to stay in my room. The room has access to a balcony.

I am just worried this would hurt my cats by only Being in one room all the time.

I just need to know if this would be a good thing. It might only be for a year but could go longer. Thank you for reading this far and giving advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - the cats will be fine in your room, just be sure that they can't get off of, or out through bars, of the balconey. Just have a cat tree or something in the room so that they can climb a bit, and look out a window. If you are able to hang a bird feeder outside the window, even better.

Something that could work might be that when the dogs are out of the apartment, maybe you can take the cats for a buggy ride in a fully enclosed pet buggy. Logistics would need to be worked out so that you and the cats can get out and back in without encountering the dogs (if they're high prey breeds), but after everyone has had a chance to settle in and figure out routines, it would probably be doable.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How big is your room? Are there windows the cats can access? If there's room, I would put in one or two tall cat trees, or at least make sure there are places for them to sit looking out the windows.

Good luck with your move.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motherof4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How big is your room? Are there windows the cats can access? If there's room, I would put in one or two tall cat trees, or at least make sure there are places for them to sit looking out the windows.

Good luck with your move.

It's going to be the master bedroom. The apartment website doesn't list deminson. It's over 1,000 square foot apartment. Looks like the only window is the sliding glass door to the balcony. I am going to make sure it's escape proof. They will have access to the balcony when I am home. So when I am at work they will not have access to it.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's going to be the master bedroom. The apartment website doesn't list deminson. It's over 1,000 square foot apartment. Looks like the only window is the sliding glass door to the balcony. I am going to make sure it's escape proof. They will have access to the balcony when I am home. So when I am at work they will not have access to it.
At least the dogs are small (but noisy, lol). But keep an eye out when balcony door is open, cats can claw open the screen.
Good luck, hope everything turns out ok for you and your cats. 🙏🏻

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are not afraid of dogs but they would be with chihuahuas. Partly because they are adult, not kittens . One of my cats stayed in my bedroom for a year the door was always open. She had a cat tower,rectangular scratch post,chew toys,cube,and I played with her. Hearing the dogs they would run in the bedroom anyways

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ditto on all of the above. If the dogs make a lot of noise, and it seems to bother your cats, try cat music to help drown them out. There are many free downloads/apps for cat music - try searching on 'cat music' to see what you might like to try.

I wish you the best of luck, and keep on posting with any questions you have as well as letting us know how things go!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's loads you can do with extra vertical space.

I don't agree with all of this posters content but I do love their small space catification. TN has a beautiful imagination and creativity for making his small space larger for his four cats.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The dogs are chihuahuas. So they aren't big dogs.
If you're lucky, the Chihuahua's might be friendly towards the cats but keeping them separated is your best bet. I think they'll be fine in your room. :)
The balcony will be great for them, but make sure you examine every single nook and cranny so they can't squeeze past netting or fencing. Cats are masters at finding tiny spaces to escape from. It might be a good idea to let them get used to your room first, then gradually introduce them to the cat proof balcony once they're settled in, always under your supervision.
My catio has wire netting, almost like chicken wire, and any pieces that were placed together were zip tied every few inches. There is no such thing as going "overboard" when cat proofing an outdoor area.
I hope things work out for you. Please let us know how things go, and I am glad you and your cats are getting out of a bad situation. :hugs:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you're lucky, the Chihuahua's might be friendly towards the cats but keeping them separated is your best bet. I think they'll be fine in your room. :)
The balcony will be great for them, but make sure you examine every single nook and cranny so they can't squeeze past netting or fencing. Cats are masters at finding tiny spaces to escape from. It might be a good idea to let them get used to your room first, then gradually introduce them to the cat proof balcony once they're settled in, always under your supervision.
My catio has wire netting, almost like chicken wire, and any pieces that were placed together were zip tied every few inches. There is no such thing as going "overboard" when cat proofing an outdoor area.
I hope things work out for you. Please let us know how things go, and I am glad you and your cats are getting out of a bad situation. :hugs:
👍👍 great advice

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good on you for leaving an abusive situation first and foremost! I think your cats will be great with all of the above tips. I'm also of the opinion that your physical and mental health is the most important. If you're not feeling well your cats will probably know. So I think they'd be happy if you're doing well, even if their house becomes a bit smaller.
Good luck!

motherof4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the cat know and they are acting differently like in a good way. I think its because I see a way out soon so I am acting different. I just have to make it til August and then I will be done with this chapter in my life. Thank you all for the advice and we'll wishes. I truly appreciate it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the cat know and they are acting differently like in a good way. I think its because I see a way out soon so I am acting different. I just have to make it til August and then I will be done with this chapter in my life. Thank you all for the advice and we'll wishes. I truly appreciate it.
Please stay safe...and keep us updated if you can!
I'm not sure what your exact situation is, but, if there's any fear in your mind that someone would try to take ownership of your cats, make sure they are chipped in your name and you have things like medical records/documents in your name, etc.

motherof4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I won't go into much detail because the person that I am trying to get away from use to be on this website. This is a new account which I hope they don't find. Let's just say we are roommates and said person thinks it's more then that and it never was, so this has turned into a lot of sexual harassment, control of my money, etc. This chapter of my life has lasted 8 years.

There is only one cat I worry about but his microchip is registered under my mom's name since she was the one to originally adopted him also the vet records are in my name. This cat absolutely love the roommate but the cat is close to my other cats like napping together all the time.

So it might be a fight for this cat, but I rather have this cat lose one person in his life then him lose me and the other 3 cats that he is also close to, if that makes sense.

Sorry to dump all this on you all but I have no other place to ask because the person is always stalking my social media, the person also has gone through my phone before. I am only able to talk to family/friends when I am at work or if they are at work. He get super jealous or thinks I am talking to other people in the romantic way. I have also caught said person spying on me in the shower.

Sorry once again for the trauma dump. Thank you all.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do what you need to keep yourself and your pets safe during this time. ❤ Keep in touch with crisis lines in your area in the meantime.

Since the cat is in your mum's name and vet records are in yours, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Abusers can harm pets left behind to "punish" the victim so if it is safe for you and the other cats to do so, it's best to bring all your cats.

Keep your head up and prayers that this chapter of your life will be one you are moving forward from shortly.