need to introduce two resident kittiea to my new rescue HELP PLEASE

pussacata

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Bella and Chloe. Bella is 18 months old Chloe 7. Bella is the alpha. I just rescued tish she is about 2 years old. I tried an introduction and Bella and tish growled and hissed at each other so I separated them. now Bella us growling and hissing at tish! Why? They just loved one another. What can I do to make this work?

Last edited by a moderator:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This article should help http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats.

Do a lot of scent exchanging, and keep the scents fresh on the items you use do do this. I also use 1 grooming brush, brushing them all frequently with it, paying attention to areas where they naturally rub themselves against items, like their cheeks. You can use towels you have rubbed each of them down with to feed them, or give treats on. These tricks help them associate their scents, intermingled, equals feeling good.

You can invest in Feliway diffusers also, which may help calm all your kitties while the process is being done.

Go slowly, let the cats be the ones to determine if they are ready for the next step. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pussacata

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do those diffusers work? I've never used one. I'm definitely going to try the brush and towel trick thank you for the advice

onyxnine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my case the diffuser helped a lot. It made it easier to intruduce my new cat to my 2 boys. There is some hissing at times but that is normal :).

onyxnine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention, if your new cat has one of those collars with a bell, remove the bell.  My cat used to follow the new one everywhere, never letting her catch a break. After i removed the bell from her collar he doesn't follow her as much. His has a bell, so she can be aware of where he is at.