Need To Gain A Little More Weight!

Winter.horns91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey!

so I have 3 cats ( two female and one male). they are not my first cats, but it is the first time i have three cat at the same time (soon to be 5, as one of my cats had a litter of 5 and am planning on keeping two) as i only had two cats for several years (completly diferent cats) and they where kinda chubby, but not unhealthy fat i suppose.
these three cats are fed on majority dry food (Purina Cat Chow) with the ocasional pieces of chicken, kidney, or such. tho not on a daily basis, kinda every other week so not that regular either. as i said their main diet consists on dry food. and i kinda get the feeling they are under weight. i recently had my female cats neutered and the vet told me they both where a little anemic. i have no idea why, cus i give them food three times a day and a fair amount too. they all are skinny, and i kinda can feel their hip bones. my female cats weight around 2 kg each, and my male cat around 3kg. can i give them anything to gain a little more weight? and if so what? im not looking to change their brand of food, because i live in mexico and the cat chow brand is one of the best in the market and we dont have much to choose from...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Can you get some canned food? Maybe even some kitten food, the protein ratios is higher if you check the ingredient lists.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing the vet did treat them for parasites? That is often a reason for a cat being skinny. If he tested and said negative i would get him to treat anyway, the test do not always show positive, when they should.

Do you watch the cats eat? are they indoors? Just in case something else is eating the food?

Here we have different types of cat chow, different flavors i guess, do you? Check the calorie count on the cat foods you do have access to, and try a bag of the one with the highest calorie count? Ideally you want as much meat as possible, so check the ingredients and try to get a meat ingredient at least as the top ingredient, then corn, wheat or by products after that. cats need high protein, moderate fat, low carb. they also dont need lots of fiber, so i try to stay away from any indoor cat foods, or any that show a fiber of more than 4 or 5 %.

of the purina dry foods this one is my favorite. just don't get the indoor version, the bags look a lot alike Purina Cat Chow Naturals Original Cat Food Review

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winter.horns91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm guessing the vet did treat them for parasites? That is often a reason for a cat being skinny. If he tested and said negative i would get him to treat anyway, the test do not always show positive, when they should.

Do you watch the cats eat? are they indoors? Just in case something else is eating the food?

Here we have different types of cat chow, different flavors i guess, do you? Check the calorie count on the cat foods you do have access to, and try a bag of the one with the highest calorie count? Ideally you want as much meat as possible, so check the ingredients and try to get a meat ingredient at least as the top ingredient, then corn, wheat or by products after that. cats need high protein, moderate fat, low carb. they also dont need lots of fiber, so i try to stay away from any indoor cat foods, or any that show a fiber of more than 4 or 5 %.

of the purina dry foods this one is my favorite. just don't get the indoor version, the bags look a lot alike Purina Cat Chow Naturals Original Cat Food Review
They are treated for parasites, all of them. And they are indoors so their food is touched only by them. And i dont give them indoor cat food either, only regular kind. They only hace the regular kind un the presentation that i buy, wich is a big bulk, not the small bag that usially shopping markets carry, in wich case they do have different presentations of the cat chow brand. Im trying to give them more meat And chicken a few times a week, not everyday
Maybe that will help

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:

How old are your kittens? Kittens are born with roundworm and so need de-worming from the age of 2 weeks, then every two weeks until at least 8 weeks old, but preferably 12 weeks old. In my mind, there is no point in testing for worms, ever, as it's simpler and cheaper to just de-worm them. So, I'd de-worm them all again against roundworm & tapeworm just to be sure.

Also, it's highly recommended to give them flea medicine as fleas cause anaemia (and worms).

High calorie food to give in the short term may include egg yolks, which are packed with all kinds of wonderful nutrients, and many cats love cheese. Cooked liver has a high iron content and is good for anaemia. As is fish, such as salmon. Do you 'free-feed' them by leaving food out all the time? Maybe do this for a while, if you're not already. And, as Furballsmom Furballsmom suggests try 'kitten' food as it's higher in calories.

Also, look for high iron and vitamin B content in food. And, ask your vet about giving them all iron supplements for a while to address the anaemia. Are you feeding a 'complete' cat food? That more than one cat has anaemia points to nutrient deficiency in their diet from not have a 'complete' diet. This is a useful guide to cat nutrition:

http://dels.nas.edu/resources/stati...d-on-reports/booklets/cat_nutrition_final.pdf

What kind of parasite treatment have they had and when did they have it last?

:salam: